News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Remember a new car you thought was awesome and now you think the opposite?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, August 13, 2012, 07:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

I really, really thought the the PT Cruiser was cool when it came out. But then again, I was like 19 at the time...

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mike DC

Dodge Vipers have slipped a lot in my rankings.  At least the early ones if maybe not the current crop.  

I'm only a moderate fan of Shelby's AC Cobras, but at least he was a guy working out of a small shop and he originally stuck to smallblock motors.  The Viper seems like an equally crude job as the 427 Cobra but coming from a big modern manufacturer.  Yeah the early Vipers were fast, but so is a dirt oval sprint-car.  That's not enough to impress me by itself.    

Sorry to be a heretic but the Charger Daytonas impress me less as time goes on too.  The actual engineers did a good job in the wind tunnel, but it was a fugly crude money-losing car that they should have known would get banned as soon as it started winning.  IMHO the whole program could have been handled better with a dose of practical longer term thinking.

bull

I thought the Opel GT was decent because it kind of looked like a Vette. Not now. :P I also used to think the early 90s Dodge Daytona was cool and now I wouldn't touch one.

I'd still own a Prowler but WTH were they thinking putting a V6 in it?

ACUDANUT

I liked the fiero but after driving one and feeling like I butt is going to drag on the asphalt I changed my mind.I also felt like I was in a death trap.  Did I mention the reliabilty on those suck.

Ponch ®

More recently, I was pretty enthused about the Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ. It looked pretty good in pics and the hype was pretty high before it came out.

Now that I'm seeing more of them on the road, I'm not quite as impressed, at least cosmetically.That being said, I haven't driven one yet, so  I'd still like to take one for a spin before I say 'its awesome' or 'all hype and looks, no balls".

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Mike DC

Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ -

Small 2dr + RWD + Toyota/Subie mechanicals + small tires = lotsa fun.  I can't see how they could go wrong with those things. 

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 14, 2012, 04:44:01 PM
Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ -

Small 2dr + RWD + Toyota/Subie mechanicals + small tires = lotsa fun.  I can't see how they could go wrong with those things. 

Friend of mine has one on order.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ghoste on August 14, 2012, 09:23:57 AM
Quote from: PocketThunder on August 14, 2012, 08:52:32 AM
Dodge Stealth, the poor mans viper.

Although I don't recall them being that cheap when they were new?

I think you're right, they were a lot of money. I stopped in at a Mitsubishi Stealership when those cars came out to see the twin, the 3000 GT. If I recall, the sticker was $30,000 & the douche bag dealer had balls larger than grapefruits putting another sticker on the window called "Market Value Surcharge" with $15,000 added on for no reason.   :shruggy:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

PocketThunder

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 16, 2012, 10:04:45 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on August 14, 2012, 09:23:57 AM
Quote from: PocketThunder on August 14, 2012, 08:52:32 AM
Dodge Stealth, the poor mans viper.

Although I don't recall them being that cheap when they were new?

I think you're right, they were a lot of money. I stopped in at a Mitsubishi Stealership when those cars came out to see the twin, the 3000 GT. If I recall, the sticker was $30,000 & the douche bag dealer had balls larger than grapefruits putting another sticker on the window called "Market Value Surcharge" with $15,000 added on for no reason.   :shruggy:

I was in HS when the Stealth came out.  They were stupid expensive.  Recently my younger cousin bought one for a couple grand and i sat inside it and it just didnt have the same feeling as 20 years ago.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ghoste

No they haven't aged well have they?  I wonder if they are at the bottom of the desirability cycle and will start going up from here?

ACUDANUT

Ponch ®

The twin turbo AWD Stealth / 3000GTs were badass. I think they were putting out something like 300hp and some crazy (for its class) amount of torque. I can't opine either way about their price when they first came out (since my primary method's of transportation at the time were still my rollerblades or the backseat of my mom's car), but they're still going for decent amounts nowadays. I've actually been scouring craigslist for one (i need a daily driver/beater) and good examples of R/T's and VR-4's are still going anywhere from $5000-15000, esp. if the mitsu badged ones.

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Indygenerallee

I was a tech at our local Dodge dealership back in 2000 and the first PT Cruiser that came in the idiot guy paid $10,000 above retail just because he "had to have it"
What a friggin' loon, They are not bad other than the timing belt fiasco but every car has it's faults..
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Indygenerallee on August 17, 2012, 01:45:49 PM
I was a tech at our local Dodge dealership back in 2000 and the first PT Cruiser that came in the idiot guy paid $10,000 above retail just because he "had to have it"
What a friggin' loon, They are not bad other than the timing belt fiasco but every car has it's faults..

It was a very cool and somewhat unusual car at the time it came out. Unfortunately the car was all looks and no balls, and the looks became dated pretty quick, in the way that an 80's hot rod looks dated (if that makes any sense). Gotta give it some credit though...along with the Prowler it practically kick started the retro design craze of the 00's (the 05 Stang, the Chevy HHR, the SSR, etc).

Ghoste

billfury

I can't believe I'm going to admit it but here it is. I thought the mid 80's Eldorado's, Riviera, and Toronado was such a cool chick magnet.  I remember my fiend got the Toro and I wanted to trade my 76 cutlass for it. He let me use it to pick this girl up that I thought the world of at the time and it was a nice riding car. Now I think the car and the girl were both ugly.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: billfury on August 18, 2012, 09:12:20 AM
I can't believe I'm going to admit it but here it is. I thought the mid 80's Eldorado's, Riviera, and Toronado was such a cool chick magnet.  I remember my fiend got the Toro and I wanted to trade my 76 cutlass for it. He let me use it to pick this girl up that I thought the world of at the time and it was a nice riding car. Now I think the car and the girl were both ugly.
Yeah this is what I'm talking about. Cars that were so cool looking to you back in the day when they were new, and now you have no idea why you thought that?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

A383Wing

yea...we got a 2003 for the wife...she really likes it..if Momma ain't happy, nobody is...I did the t-belt & water pump at 90k....yea..it's a pain

Bryan

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: A383Wing on August 18, 2012, 04:34:40 PM

yea...we got a 2003 for the wife...she really likes it..if Momma ain't happy, nobody is...I did the t-belt & water pump at 90k....yea..it's a pain

Bryan

Of all the comments made. The one about mama being happy is the most accurate. I do whatever it takes to keep mine quiet. I mean happy.  :icon_smile_big: