News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

maximum safe temp

Started by charger496, August 13, 2012, 10:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger496

So after installing an air conditioning kit in my '71 Charger ( It was over 100 degrees way too often this year!), the running temperature is way up. The car has a 383 based 496 stroker motor, 3 row 27" rad, recored to 4 rows, stock shroud, flex fan, PRW aluminum WP housing and Milodon HV water pump. It gets up to 215 degrees in city traffic with air temp around 90. Almost 200 on freeway with air temp around 85. Before AC kit, the car had 3 row rad, flex fan, shroud, iron WP housing, 8 blade water pump. Never got over 190. I know about the 440 source housings, and thoroughly checked the PRW housing. It may not be exactly the same inner dimensions as stock, but it's not anything like the restrictive 440 source castings. So should my engine get this hot? What's too hot? By the way, the cooling system is filled with 50/50 and Water Wetter. I tried a 30/70 mix per the directions on the Water Wetter to no avail.

Chryco Psycho

the engines are typically designed to run safely up to 225 or so as long as the internal clearances are no to too tight . I assume you are using a 180* T stat

Indygenerallee

210 is what I am happy with on big block.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

charger496

It has a 160 degree thermostat that's been on it for about 3 years. I ran some driveway tests at the request of Classic Auto Air. The freon charge was low, which apparently will make the condenser temp high. The temp of the condenser was 157 degrees, so I couldn't imagine how any radiator could cool that air down. After charging the AC to the CAA specs (which are different than those on most other auto AC systems, according to my AC guy), the air coming out of the vents went down to 36 degrees, and the condenser was 125 and dropping. In the driveway, it idled for 20 minutes, already warmed up, and it didn't get over 195. That was with the hood up, out of gear. I'm still not really comfortable with temps possibly over 200, but if it doesn't keep climbing, I'll have to live with it. I'm still not sure the issue is resolved, and I'd like to hear about other similar street combos and their running conditions. Thanks for everyone's help!   

Tom Q

230 is getting hot
240 is hot
You should be running a 195 degree hi flow thermostat. Today's fuel requires the 195 min operating temp.
60% water 40% antifreeze. 16 lb mopar cap & a coolant recovery tank
Operating temp of 210-215 is fine on a hot day with the ac on

Paul G

My 72 will run up to 230° at times with the A/C on in town traffic. Nothing I have done will get it to run cooler. Ambient here in the summer can be 115°, like it was today, so I dont think there is too much I can do to get it down much. I run a 180° Tstat. I was told that the factory idiot light would come on at 140° or abouts. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

charger496

I'll add a new t-stat to my shopping list. Maybe a pusher fan, too.

Chryco Psycho

I doubt an extra fan will help you at all , it may actually block more air flow , it seems you are OK on air flow .
a 180 or 195 T stat is recommended , you will probably be ok now that the a/c is not creating as much heat

Paul G

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 14, 2012, 09:42:59 AM
I doubt an extra fan will help you at all , it may actually block more air flow , it seems you are OK on air flow .
a 180 or 195 T stat is recommended , you will probably be ok now that the a/c is not creating as much heat
I agree. I have a pusher fan in front of the ac coil. It did nothing to cool the engine. It does help the ac blow cold when stopped on traffic.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#