News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which wing car did Wallace ride shotgun in?

Started by Ghoste, August 03, 2012, 02:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

pettybird

ha no...George ran around in the test mules as they were the ones rigged for equipment like the pitot tube-looking thing out front.  I don't know how much stuff they piled into the "race-ready" cars after initial development was done.  He drove a 500 around the track, too--that was a cool story to hear.

odcics2

There are photos of George Wallace in the back of the Woodward Garage test Super Bird at Chelsea in the "Supercars" book.
That took balls.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

C5X DAYTONA

Mule bird from aero warriors website.   I've read this was the same car Gurney drove at Riverside.   But I have my doubts.

Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

Aero426

George also rode with Isaac in the #71 at Bonneville.   He hitched a ride in quite a few different race cars.

Ghoste

Okay, for some reason I thought he had just principally did hot laps with one driver.  For whatever reason, my memory was trying to say it was with Baker and he was trying to scare him but George impressed him by being inflappable.

C5X DAYTONA

George was too busy taking gathering data.   No scaring that guy.     He has made comments like, riding on the salt at 200mph was like a Sunday drive.  But riding shotgun on a superspeedway was nerve racking.    I took George out in the Daytona a few years back when a buddy Garry Keay with B-5 6bbl 4 speed bird with 2.76s took off when we were doing about 70mph.    George said 'go get him.'   Garry said he was doing a good 135ish when we blew by him.   George basically said, 'that was fun.'     Like Ho Hum..      I had a 492 Wedge with a 3x2 bbl set up,  528 Mech Mopar cam, duel fuel tanks with 111 leaded race fuel and 3.23s in the rear with a gear vendor overdrive.     
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

Aero426

George was driving a 1970 Chrysler company car with Glotzbach as the passenger.   They were going down an Atlanta freeway about 70, when Charlie reached over, and in one motion, put the car in park, shut the car off, removed the keys from the column and pretended to throw them out the window.     George had the presence of mind that the parking pawl would simply make a lot of racket and that he could slow down and gently ease the car to the side of the road and stop it.  With a locked column, you still had a little bit of steering.  A cool cucumber.

Ghoste

I like that a lot of Chrysler white collars weren't easily frightened.  For some reason it just makes them seem better suited to the work they were doing in my mind.