News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cranking and cranking but no start

Started by WH23G3G, July 30, 2012, 11:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

Ok back to this issue. We've been messing with the timing trying to get it back to where it should be since the "carb expert" that didn't rebuild my carb helped me out by retarding the timing. So while I had the fan and fan clutch off I decided to put it back at TDC on the compression stroke. I got the friend who's been helping me to make sure I was on the compression stroke and I was and it turned out the rotor on the distributor is pointing like right on #1 on the cap. I know we were getting close last time we we're turning while I cranked the engine because it spit over once but we could never get it to fire up and run. I actually rebuilt the thermoquad that I have on there now that I paid $150 for the "carb expert" to do. We see it's getting gas out the nozzles when you press the gas, a nice stream, and you can smell the gas when it gets to the carb. It has to be firing at least some because it tried to run but didn't start all the way up. When checking the rotor position on TDC today I noticed the cap inside has some oxidation in the terminals and under the cap. Also the rotor tip has some oxidation on it too. Could that cause the engine to just crank and crank but not start? I've got this new Thermoquad in the box but been hesitant to put it on until I know the engine is running and the timing is precise, not just TDC. How do I know when this hard starting is a matter of the ignition components or something internal in the carb that I can't notice?     

justcruisin

To insure you are in the ball park with static timing you need to line up the reluctor points, make sure you are on the compression stroke on number one cyl, turn the engine clockwise so you have around 14 degrees btdc on your timing marks on the crank, then turn your distributor so the reluctor tips lines up with the fixed points, or if you have points turn the distributor until the points just open, ( with points make sure it is on the leading (opening) edge of the distributor cam) make sure the rotor is pointing at number one at this point. Once your up and running use a timing light to dial in what your engine needs.

HPP

To make an engine run only requires four elements, air, fuel, ignition and compression. However, those have to be in the right amounts at the right times. Often times it is the right amounts at the right time that are the trip ups, ie too much gas or spark wires that are sequeneced backwards, but it helps to verify each thing along the way in trouble shooting.

So, I'd start at the begining and verify you have spark, the timing is lined up, the plug wires are in the right order, then move on to others in the sequence until you get it fired.