News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger restoration another 30 years

Started by Ghoste, July 21, 2012, 11:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

So get out your crystal ball and tell me where you think the Charger hobby (yes it applies to all musclecars but this is the one we like best) will be in another 30 years.  Do you think they will be way out of the reach of ordinary folk?  Will they get the respect of some of the antique auto types at future concours events?  Do you think the focus will narrow more on what are collectible?

TUFCAT

I don't even know if we'll have affordable gasoline in 30 years??!!  :scratchchin:

Ghoste

Excellent point!  Lets pretend and say its half ased affordable.

Scaregrabber

Hard to say: 40 Ford was in demand 30 years ago and still is with high prices for a good one. I think gasoline will be affordable in 30 years as there will be other energy sources for our daily drivers.

Sheldon

nvrbdn

i think most transportation will be electric. gas will probably actually be cheap since there will be such a smaller demand. only thing is how many gas stations will close with the electric movement. :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: TUFCAT on July 21, 2012, 11:11:02 PM
I don't even know if we'll have affordable gasoline in 30 years??!!  :scratchchin:

Personally gas wont be an issue for me.....They said the same thing back in late 1970s, 'gas is gonna skyrocket and we will have hover crafts of some sort using solar engergy to fly' so to me that statement is mute since it was said back in late 70s also.

hatersaurusrex

Personally I wonder about today's cars and if anyone will care about preserving them 30 years from now.  Hard to imagine a board like this where people debate whether or not the ODBII chip on a 99 Neon is 'correct' or not.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

1969chargerrtse

The best way to look at that is to look back at cars that were collectable decades ago, do to style or performance and see if they still are?  The answer would be yes for me.  The 2nd gen chargers are a timeless design and I think will always be in demand.  Like a old Cord or 55 Chevy.  :Twocents:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Dino

Once a classic, always a classic.  It'll still make people fall in love with those lines, there's no time limit on those.  Will there be enough around and will they be affordable?  Trends tend to repeat themselves so I foresee them dropping in value and going back up a few times.  Eventually all those people that are 'going to restore it someday' will be no more and the car will go to the next guy who hopefully doesn't have the same mentality.

I don't see a plain car become a classic, no matter how old it is.  I still see the old Volvo's from the 70's and 80' on the road.  Some people may be very fond of those but I wouldn't go as far as calling them classic, a Neon sure as hell isn't!   :Twocents:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Dino on July 22, 2012, 08:46:09 AM
Once a classic, always a classic.  It'll still make people fall in love with those lines, there's no time limit on those.  Will there be enough around and will they be affordable?  Trends tend to repeat themselves so I foresee them dropping in value and going back up a few times.  Eventually all those people that are 'going to restore it someday' will be no more and the car will go to the next guy who hopefully doesn't have the same mentality.

I don't see a plain car become a classic, no matter how old it is.  I still see the old Volvo's from the 70's and 80' on the road.  Some people may be very fond of those but I wouldn't go as far as calling them classic, a Neon sure as hell isn't!   :Twocents:

I somewhat agree with the above statement, however, a beat-box 318 Charger that was "done up" with every inferior repopped part sold today will just not be desirable 30 years from now versus a real all original numbers matching hi-po Charger R/T.

As to who will want them; just look at the guys who own Model T's & then see who's buying them and what they sell for today. That's your/our destiny, so have fun while it lasts!  

Ghoste

But then look at 1929 Duesenburgs and what they sell for today.  How do you know that isn't our future?

stripedelete

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 22, 2012, 09:02:43 AM

As to who will want them; just look at the guys who own Model T's & then see who's buying them and what they sell for today. That's your/our destiny, so have fun while it lasts!  

I agree, EXCEPT when it comes to 2ND Gen Chargers.  The "Dukes of Hazzard" will have an effect on gen 2 trajectory.  As long as 3-5 year olds are being plopped down in front of that show you extend the popularity 40 years.   The clock starts when the show is no longer syndicated.

As far as the "common guy",  I think most muscle cars are already, as we used to say,  "a rich man's hobby".

Ghoste

I think its going to go into another level of "rich man" though if it survives.  There is some unbelievable wealth out there in the overall collector car hobby but most of it has yet to take notice of the muscle car era.

Brock Lee

In 30 years people will still love these, but they will be looking at an entirely different set of issues than today. Today we look for potential rot that is hidden. i believe in 30 years they will be looking at if the car is restored or not, and if so was it proper. Cars will be still be restored in numbers, but many will be the second or third time. Undoing shoddy amateur restorations. 

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Ghoste on July 22, 2012, 09:33:10 AM
But then look at 1929 Duesenburgs and what they sell for today.  How do you know that isn't our future?

How do you know that it is our future?   :lol: The Duesenberg comparison is unfair; they only made 470 Model J's compared with about 93,000 1968 Chargers. the Model J was the McLaren F1 of it's day whereas the Charger was just a mass produced disposable car.

Quote from: Ghoste on July 22, 2012, 09:55:33 AM
I think its going to go into another level of "rich man" though if it survives.  There is some unbelievable wealth out there in the overall collector car hobby but most of it has yet to take notice of the muscle car era.

Quite the contrary; I think the rich collectors have already come and some are gone. Keep in mind that it was the rich "investors" who had a major hand in buying up Hemi cars for ungodly money not too long ago, which dragged up the prices of every other Mopar muscle car. It got to the point where the average hobbyist couldn't afford (and in some cases still can't afford) Hemi cars. Hemi Cuda covertibles were trading in the millions in 2007; what are they going for now? gtell me, is this car (that's been for sale for over 2 years) really worth 155 Large? http://rhcollectibles.com/showroom/1308/vehicle/583773/1968/Dodge-Charger-R/T?sold=0

Ghoste

LOL, I know no more about the future than anyone, I was merely challenging your Model T comparison.  Yes the Duesys were exclusive and the T was everywhere.  That does make it a great comparison to our Chargers.  What I attempted to offer there was a different possibility and since neither of us know what tomorrow brings, there is a chance that some of the highly desirable cars of the post war era become tomorrow's concour's specialty vehicles.
As for wealth in the collector car hobby, excepty for the tiny handful that were at the top of the muscelcar price frenzy, I am talking about people with REAL money who are collecting old cars but turn their noses up at muscelcars.  For the most part, the people with that kind of money have shown no interest in musclecars.  I offer the conjecture, "what if they do some day?".

HANDM

I like to tell my boy that when he is working on the mopars with his boy, they are going to be close to 100 years old and that if he maintains/ restores them they wil be there for his grandchildren.

I make it a point to regularly tell both children how special the cars are and that they NEED to preserve them for their children and that I am nothing more than a caretaker of the cars and hopefully they will be the caretakers after I am gone.....

We shall see how that goes  :smilielol:

Scaregrabber

As I mentioned before, the 40 Ford and 32 Ford for that matter were mass produced in quantity and were not a "special" model, check the pricing on them right now. The Charger R/T and other models like GTX's and such are much more collectible and will hold up better valuewise and collectibility than those truly mass produced Fords have. Specialty stuff like Hemi cars and Wings will widen the gap further from the pedestrian stuff than what it is now.

Sheldon

billschroeder5842

My guess is that we will still be overpaying for repo parts, service techs will all be in their 70's and that we will all have done natural gas conversions.
Texas Proud!

AKcharger

I think our cars will still be VERY much in demand due to pop culture. Almost EVERY action adventure movie and many music videos feature 60's 70's muscle cars! Today's kids watching that stuff are tomorrows buyers.

Want proof? Next car show your at watch the 10-17 Y/O's as they go up and down the rows. Watch how much intrest they show in pre-60's cars...they'll pass right buy 'em because there's no connection (personally I think there ugly as well). NOW watch the diffrence when they hit muscle cars; they stop look and talk.

We have three generations that like these cars 1) original owners 2) 80's kids (many of us here) who could buy one in high school cheap and made memories 3) Todays kids who see 'em in shows all the time

Budnicks

My opinion is {like ass holes/belly buttons everyone has one}, if it was popular when it was new, it will be popular for ever, too bad almost all of them will have "almost all" reproduction parts by then & will be no more than mirror copies/clones of what they once were, they are only original once, no matter how nicely it's been restored.... Look at the 55-57 Bel Air, 67-69 Camaro, 66-71 Chevelle SS, all Chevy's mass produced every-mans daily driver cars & still worth way too much... Hemi cars & Six-Pack/6bbl cars or Lt. production specialty cars, will retain their prices better than the std. base level other cars, even when the economy goes up & down... There was good reason, why many of the eras cars didn't sell very well, they weren't popular... Remember just because it's rare doesn't mean it's valuable, a turd is still a turd...LOL... Gen 2's will always be worth more, than the others...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Ghoste

I like that popular when new, popular forever notion, thats likely a sharp observation that.

Budnicks

Quote from: Ghoste on July 22, 2012, 03:46:43 PM
I like that popular when new, popular forever notion, thats likely a sharp observation that.
:hah: Sometimes I even shock myself...  :nana:  :smilielol:  :rofl:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

BrianShaughnessy

In 30 years it won't matter much.   Gasoline cars as we know it will be an oddity. 

Most everybody here will have moved on in one form or another.    I'm sure a few will still have their cars...  probably still waiting for paint.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Ghoste

That is exactly what I think too Brian.  Gasoline will be a great deal more expensive and unnecessary to many of us.  That is why I keep wondering if they will only survive as automotive artworks like the pre war classics largely are now.