News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It won't start when its hot.

Started by 74bluecharger440, July 21, 2012, 08:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on July 24, 2012, 11:21:42 AM
Quote from: resq302 on July 24, 2012, 12:39:05 AM
Quote from: nvrbdn on July 23, 2012, 11:57:15 AM
if the motor wont even crank while hot, it would be along the line of cooters thoughts an electrical break down of some sorts. heat will shrink parts, not swell them.

I have to disagree.  Heat expands things while cool / cold contracts.  We had a problem with our el camino that it would crank over nice when it was cold but as soon as it was shut down after running for a while, it would barely turn over.  Timing had a little to do with the problem but the majority was that the starter solenoid  was heating up and causing the hot start problem.

Common chebbie problem.    Sometimes solved by remote solenoids ( like a ferd ) mounted on firewall or inner fender.

Or replace the defective solenoid with a correct hi temp one!   :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

doctorpimp

Quote from: 74bluecharger440 on July 24, 2012, 06:29:28 AM
Yes I took the deep cycle battery out of my boat and placed it in the charger.Same thing happened  I'm going to try the heat wrap cause I have a sneaky suspicion it is the starter getting too hot..I will also try to crank it cold then hot ..thanks for all the good advice..I will be back with results.
Your problem sounds like electrical for sure.  Check all your cables!!
Same thing was happening to my car... Turned out to be a bad solder on the negative battery cable.  The heatshrink was holding it together well and when cold it was fairly tight, but still gave a voltage drop.  As heat increased in the starter, so did resistance.  The starter is good, just needed more juice to turn.
I crimped and re-soldered the negative cable (00 gauge) and added one more 00 gauge ground to the engine.  Always starts now)))
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

charger Downunder

[/quote]