News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

C500 question

Started by Kowal, July 21, 2012, 06:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kowal

I read somewhere, and now I can't find the article, that early build C500's were given the '68 chrome shifter for an automatic with a console.   Versus the '69 fake wood grain.  True?   In particular for the early Hemi cars?   And that this is also for a reason similar to why many do not have headrests on the bucket seats which was that they were grabbed during the 68/69 model change over?
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

kab69440

I have heard that the tulip knobs were run out on early '69 cars and faux woodgrain used after the tulip knobs were expended. My 69 is #2459 and it had the faux woodgrain ball when  I got it. Of course, it also had a '70 uphdtery in it, so the shift knob could have been swapped out with the seats.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

moparstuart

my car is not an early car it has the 68 knob and alot i have seen  of 500's have chrome 68 knobs and black 68 door handle pushes.    :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Quote from: Kowal on July 21, 2012, 06:18:13 AM
I read somewhere, and now I can't find the article, that early build C500's were given the '68 chrome shifter for an automatic with a console.   Versus the '69 fake wood grain.  True?   In particular for the early Hemi cars?   And that this is also for a reason similar to why many do not have headrests on the bucket seats which was that they were grabbed during the 68/69 model change over?

I personally have never heard of the 500's getting the '68 knobs, but then again the Daytonas got them and they were built afterwards. With that said, I wouldn't be completely surprised if some 500's did...

Danny? Any insight since you know about the 1st 2 built...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

moparstuart

Kowal

The car in question is the B5 blue C500 that has been discussed here before.  It is the automatic that was on e-bay in the spring, the one with the girl in the ad in the way of seeing the car!  

It is in my garage as we speak, as a result of a deal that saw me give up my prized '69 1/2 Road Runner.    But how often can one pick up a Hemi car in as nice condition as this?   Stripmasters from Florida did a wonderful job on the restoration.

Back to the topic.   The car has the black buttons on the door handles, and had the silver shifter knob before restoration, it has the wood grained now.   The before pics show the wood grained console with the silver shifter.  

Alaskan_TA

QuoteAnd that this is also for a reason similar to why many do not have headrests on the bucket seats which was that they were grabbed during the 68/69 model change over?

The headrests were optional on cars made before Jan 1, 1969. See http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/TSBs/1969/D69-23-11%20page1.jpg

69CoronetRT

The chrome tulip knob was phased out about October so depending on the inventory on hand at the plant and production demands, you could see late '68 cars with chrome or wood knobs.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

nascarxx29

Had this saved on the computer if this archive picture is accurate checkout the shift knobs left picture a 68 with woodgrain shifter knob. It also has the plastic combline instrument panel texture and center dash medallion between tach and speedo 1968 vintage :shruggy: Picture on right 69 vintage head rests and chrome knob
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

Well I have seen a ton of 500's that have the chrome shifter knobs. In all honesty I have seen very few with the wood knob. The blue Hemi 500 in question had a chrome knob on it before the restoration. I really do not know if I have seen any Hemi 500 AT cars with the wood knob other than restored cars.

69_500

For example take a look at the video in the other thread of the test drive of the Hemi 500. Black buttons on door handles as well as the chrome shifter knob. Just so you know this car is still wearing both of these items today.

held1823

are there any existing factory documents that prove or disprove the shift knob debate?

i know for an absolute fact that at least one 1969 charger, with a late april build date, came with the chrome knob. 
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Ghoste

Quote from: nascarxx29 on July 21, 2012, 08:31:52 PM
Had this saved on the computer if this archive picture is accurate checkout the shift knobs left picture a 68 with woodgrain shifter knob. It also has the plastic combline instrument panel texture and center dash medallion between tach and speedo 1968 vintage :shruggy: Picture on right 69 vintage head rests and chrome knob

I believe those pics have been well established as being a 68 that was done up with some 69 trim very early (pre-production) for photos to be used in the brochure and press release material.

Ghoste

Quote from: held1823 on July 21, 2012, 09:59:43 PM
are there any existing factory documents that prove or disprove the shift knob debate?

i know for an absolute fact that at least one 1969 charger, with a late april build date, came with the chrome knob. 

You can't leave us hanging though, what is the absolute fact?

held1823

Quote from: Ghoste on July 21, 2012, 10:07:11 PM

You can't leave us hanging though, what is the absolute fact?

the current owner is the original owner, and the chrome shift knob has never been off of the car.

does this constitute "absolute proof" for everyone? no; some people will not accept it as fact. is it absolute proof for me? beyond any doubt, as i know the both this particular car and its owner quite well.

the shift knob debate has surfaced here before. recalling those posts, it appears that numerous daytonas came with the chrome version, adding an interesting twist to reports that the chrome knob had been phased out, months before the cars were built.  
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69CoronetRT

The 69 parts book 21-30-6 and 21-30-10 give us some guidance. The January revision shows the wood knob under 21-30-6 but 21-30-10 is outdated copy. It indicates the black push button (on the wood knob) "will enter production approximately October 1968".

To me this indicates the black knob with the wooden ball came in approximately Oct of 1968. Did it actually make October production? If yes, then when In October? Early? Late Oct? Again, how much chrome inventory did each factory have on hand to get rid of? There is a transition period during the last 2 months of 68.

From what I've seen, most cars have wood only by January of 1969.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

RallyeMike

For what its worth, my 500 is a Dec 4 car and has a wood knob.

My buddies 500 built Nov 20, currently with something like 50k original miles on it has a wood knob.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Bob T

Just an aside and not really relevant to the debate and mainly for the Aussie/Kiwi guys....when the plastic chrome coating is flaking off your tulip shifter, the one to find is off a Chrysler VC Valiant and its steel not plastic and looks exactly the same with the screw in piece but feels better too...got given one at Kumeu show this year and its mint as   :cheers:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

held1823

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on July 21, 2012, 11:25:33 PM
From what I've seen, most cars have wood only by January of 1969.

enter "chrome knob" in the search box, and you will find numerous threads that mention cars, built later in 1969, with the "unavailable" knob. while this is not a representation of "most cars", it could be debated that it applies to most daytonas. the parts book information can be a valuable resource, unless there is wide-spread evidence to refute a change-over date. that evidence exists, in this case.

i was the parts manager at two different dealerships (jeep/eagle, and c/p/d) from 1988 to 1991. while this was an entirely different era from 1969, i remember encountering the occasional error in the parts books/ microfiche. it is not far-fetched to believe the older books were just as capable of containing incorrect information, as it pertains to dates.

there are too many examples of chrome knobs in the later cars, for me to accept the parts book as being accurate. the daytona sitting here since september of 1969 was built april 27th., and has always had a chrome knob. this car is the one i mentioned earlier as my absolute proof that the parts book is wrong, as it pertains to this specific car. there is zero chance of a prior owner swapping out a wood knob, as there was no prior owner.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Ghoste

Agree fully on the parts books, I believe there is even a disclaimer in the front to that effect.  They still are an extremely important part of our research base.  Sifting through it all to arrive at a concensus or even undisputable fact is the fun part though.  Just have to be patient and keep wading through the info. :2thumbs:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Ghoste on July 22, 2012, 09:52:51 AM
Agree fully on the parts books, I believe there is even a disclaimer in the front to that effect.  They still are an extremely important part of our research base.  Sifting through it all to arrive at a concensus or even undisputable fact is the fun part though.

Parts books are only one source but they are a source.

People want absolutes in a mass production/huge inventory situation and few exist. Most of the time you have to speak in generalities. "Most cars" were probably treated one way. That does not mean exceptions don't exist. However, exceptions do not negate general rules.

When did Hamtrack get wood knobs? STL? LA? LR? How many did they get? How many cars were built with console automatics during the transition? How many chrome knobs were already on hand? Were cases of chrome knobs covered up with new inventory and not found until later?

We will probably never know the answers to these question but what we do know is the wooden knob was introduced in late fall of 68 to replace the chrome knob. There was a transition period. Some plants probably transistioned quicker than others.

The best reference for what happened with your car is still your car. If you do not know exactly what happened with your car then you have to play the percentages as to what happened.

C500

I have a wooden knob, build date 14 Nov
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

hemigeno

I wouldn't make any absolute statements either way on the chrome vs. woodgrain shift knob, but here's my observation:

So far, every original and/or mostly-original Daytona I've looked at or heard about has had the chrome auto shift knob.  You'd think that with the Daytonas being built late in the model year run, the transition to woodgrain at Hamtramck would have occurred on by then - if it did at all.  Obviously, I haven't seen every untouched car nor can I trace the history of each of the cars I've seen back to when they were new... but so far that is what I've observed.  I've also seen some restored cars with the woodgrain knob, and I won't argue the point that there could have been some which originally came that way.  It's just my thought that the majority were probably chrome when new even on late '69 model year cars.

Given the choice between the two for installation back in a car, I'd go chrome.

:Twocents:

Kowal

Quote from: hemigeno on July 23, 2012, 05:50:31 PM
I wouldn't make any absolute statements either way on the chrome vs. woodgrain shift knob, but here's my observation:

Given the choice between the two for installation back in a car, I'd go chrome.

:Twocents:

I just ordered the part!