News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Georgia construction zone speeding ticket

Started by Charger440RDN, July 19, 2012, 11:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger440RDN

I was on the way back from Orlando, FL coming from Disney World and I got clocked doing 80mph in a 60mph construction zone near Atlanta, GA. It was 11pm and no workers were present. Several cars were doing 90 plus but just my luck he picked me out of the crowd  :icon_smile_angry: He said he clocked me from his rear window.

I found out the ticket is $392.00  :o and i thought that was steep until I read that in Georgia a construction zone ticket can be $2,000 plus 1 year in jail.

How can they enforce a work zone speed limit with no workers present? Traffic was moving so fast near Atlanta that if you do the 60mph you would get rear ended.

67_Dodge_Charger

I feel your pain,  I have seen plenty of people not follow the posted speed limit in construction zones all times of the day (workers or no workers).  I drive a government truck and the public watches my speed all of the time, plus they call the office if someone is not following the speed limit. :popcrn:

Consider yourself lucky you did not get a bigger fine and jail time. :cheers:

Cooter

Yep, try that in Va. and it WILL be $2000.00 ticket. Bottom line, unless you can afford the tickets, DO NOT SPEED IN A WORK ZONE. I always follow the speed limit in them, as it CLEALRY states "Fines Doubled"...Workers or not, it doesn't keep some dumbass from causing a fifteen car pile up in that one lane stretch because he/she was speeding. THAT'S why the ticket was issued IMO.

Let someone hit me in the ass because they are speeding and I'm obeying the speed limit. I can feel my neck and back hurting already. Think that fine was heavy, they will REALLY be pissed at my helicopter ride to hospital.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Charger440RDN

Quote from: Cooter on July 20, 2012, 12:26:05 AM
Yep, try that in Va. and it WILL be $2000.00 ticket.

The rental car I was driving had Virginia plates! I thought that was another reason he picked me out out, plus the car was red. I live in Illinois and they usually take your drivers license as bond but he gave it back to me and he did not ask to see proof of insurance either. There is no way you can get stopped in Illinois and not have to show insurance.

Chryco Psycho

Canada is worse , there is no rule about " having workers present " there was a section where there were constructing an overpass in the city for 5 years , I am sure they funded the whole project with the ever present photo radar van even at 3 am in a blizzard

bull

Is it me or is this just a great way to get lots of revenue for the state? Here in Oregon you can drive through vast stretches of freeways labeled as construction zones with no evidence of construction other than 10,000 orange cones and the "fines double" signs. Seems to me the only purpose for half of them is to give people tickets. Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane would be proud.

Cooter

You know the best damn way I know of NOT to allow these things to generate money????

Don't blow through @ 80 MPH. It just don't get any more simple.

However, this doesn't work as there's always one or two that think they are above the law, or "Just keeping up with traffic"...I tried that the other day and with all these GPS devices now, one would think that people would KNOW how fast they are going. I looked down and I was doing 90 MPH ina 65 MPH zone just to keep up with traffic...WTF told the other people beside me that it was "ok" to go that fast in a 65 MPH zone?

Same thing with seat belt laws. It's the law. Now, you certainly have the "Right"/ Freedom of choice to do as you please and NOT wear one, but get ready for the ass raping you are about to recieve if caught. This time, one simply got caught breaking the law.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bull

1BAD68

Who knows when there are worker's present?
I've seen them here in Wisconsin at all hours of the night, usually so they can shut lanes down while traffic is thin.
All I know is it's not fun working on anything while a SUV blows past at 70-80mph.
Most people don't realize the speed they are going because the way vehicles are built today, climate controlled, sound proofed luxury, it's like your own private force field.
But driving an old classic car gives you a better perspective of speed.

Charger440RDN

What really sucks is about 20 ft from where I got stopped, the sign said END OF WORK ZONE SPEED LIMIT   :brickwall: :icon_smile_angry:

BigBlackDodge

Atlanta is a continuous construction zone!

BBD

hatersaurusrex

Dude, Atlanta is like NASCAR.   The downtown 75/85 stretch is one of the most nerve-wracking stretches of interstate in the South.   Add to the 5 and 6 lane twists and turns the fact that the labelling for 75/85/16/285 sucks donkey scrote, and also the fact that everyone drives about 90 through there.   I hate going to ATL, and the traffic there is one of the reasons I picked Jacksonville for a relo instead of ATL.

Also, Georgia State Patrol don't play.  Neither does THP (Tennesee Highway Patrol).   Next time spare yourself the hassle and go through Alabama.  In 5 years there I only saw a state trooper ONE TIME.  I think they all take naps and dream of Bear Bryant.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

RallyeMike

QuoteHow can they enforce a work zone speed limit with no workers present? Traffic was moving so fast near Atlanta that if you do the 60mph you would get rear ended.

I have done quite a bit of construction in the roadway, and the stories I have are bone-chilling thanks to this kind of attitude.

At 80mph you are moving at 117 feet per second. How did you know there is nobody on the job? Was your plan to slow down if you eventually saw someone? Your stopping distance is probably farther than you can see at that speed.

You justify that you have to speed because everyone else is and might be rear ended if you drive the limit. Slowing from 80 to 60 once you see someone (or a cop) has a far greater chance of causing this than driving a continual speed at the stated limit.

Does the sign say "60 mph unless there is nobody around"? No. It probably says something like "Construction Zone 60 mph", or just the standard orange "60mph" with how many warning signs that you ignored before that?

Do you really expect the construction workers to put up new signs raising the limit again at the end of the shift? If nobody is paying attention to the changed limits for the duration of construction, how much attention do you think there will be when the signs get raised and lowered every day?

Did you ever stop to think that the lessened speed limit is also because 1) the lanes are narrower, 2) there are bumps, 3) grooves in the pavement, 4) sharper corners, 5) shorter merge lanes, 6) gravel on the road, or 7) worst of all: the gawking idiots behind the wheel?

Ya, road construction is a pain in the ass. I curse it to, but it has to be done. Pay your ticket and slow down. Sorry to go off, but people in my field die or are crippled for life because of this. I'd like to see the tickets X10, because the message still isn't getting across.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

FLG

Theve got new signs in NYC, little character drawn on it like a child drew it...reads "Slow down my daddy works here" i going the posted speed limit but it still got me thinking  :shruggy:

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on July 21, 2012, 01:42:02 AM
Dude, Atlanta is like NASCAR.   The downtown 75/85 stretch is one of the most nerve-wracking stretches of interstate in the South.   Add to the 5 and 6 lane twists and turns the fact that the labelling for 75/85/16/285 sucks donkey scrote, and also the fact that everyone drives about 90 through there.   I hate going to ATL, and the traffic there is one of the reasons I picked Jacksonville for a relo instead of ATL.

Also, Georgia State Patrol don't play.  Neither does THP (Tennesee Highway Patrol).   Next time spare yourself the hassle and go through Alabama.  In 5 years there I only saw a state trooper ONE TIME.  I think they all take naps and dream of Bear Bryant.

I work with a guy who has lived in Atlanta for many years...........he refers to the locals as Cobb-a-kazee's! (Cobb County being part of Atlanta)

:smilielol:

Seems right to me.

BBD

myk

Quote from: bull on July 20, 2012, 11:44:56 AM
Is it me or is this just a great way to get lots of revenue for the state? Here in Oregon you can drive through vast stretches of freeways labeled as construction zones with no evidence of construction other than 10,000 orange cones and the "fines double" signs. Seems to me the only purpose for half of them is to give people tickets. Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane would be proud.

Of course it's about revenue-I'm sure the politicians couldn't care less about their workers/grunts, but personally, I wouldn't want to be involved in an accident in a work zone-I'd never be able to live with myself if I injured a construction worker...

70redbee

Quote from: Charger440RDN on July 20, 2012, 06:42:17 PM
What really sucks is about 20 ft from where I got stopped, the sign said END OF WORK ZONE SPEED LIMIT   :brickwall: :icon_smile_angry:

SO!  You were only speeding 20 ft. from the end of the work zone?  Pay the fine and slow down, not only in construction zones but everywhere.
How fast would you have been driving if it weren't a construction zone?
Also it is someones Daddy,husband,brother,son etc.
Get my point yet?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bull on July 20, 2012, 11:44:56 AM
That was my first thought.  Like the stupid 25mph zones around me.  No one does 25, not even, or especially the police.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

DixieRestoParts

LOL. Well, the Bear was great. You got hosed dude. Just the way it is. You can try and fight it, but they know it'll cost you more than the ticket. I live here and everyone does do 80+ through Atlanta, It is like NASCAR as someone stated. Sometimes they tolerate it, sometimes they don't. Cobb county is the worst. But, above Cobb going towards Chattanooga it's another NASCAR track.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

stripedelete

Quote from: DixieRestoParts on July 22, 2012, 09:34:45 PM

LOL. Well, the Bear was great. You got hosed dude. Just the way it is. You can try and fight it, but they know it'll cost you more than the ticket. I live here and everyone does do 80+ through Atlanta, It is like NASCAR as someone stated. Sometimes they tolerate it, sometimes they don't. Cobb county is the worst. But, above Cobb going towards Chattanooga it's another NASCAR track.

Tru-dat on 75 north of Atlanta.   Day in and day out, in either direction,  that is some of the most agressive driving I have ever seen.

If Tennessee and Kentucky have a state patrol I haven't noticed.  The only speed limit sign I look for is the Ohio River.

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: stripedelete on July 23, 2012, 08:54:19 AM
Quote from: DixieRestoParts on July 22, 2012, 09:34:45 PM

Tru-dat on 75 north of Atlanta.   Day in and day out, in either direction,  that is some of the most agressive driving I have ever seen.

If Tennessee and Kentucky have a state patrol I haven't noticed.  The only speed limit sign I look for is the Ohio River.

Kentucky I don't know about (never seen one of those either) but I grew up in TN, and have driven literally every stretch of interstate there.   You must be travelling over the shortest stretch of 65 to not have seen a THP :)   When I used to drive home from Bama, I kept a log and all but two weeks (out of a hundred or so) I saw a THP with someone pulled over from Bama to Clarksville.

If you ever go from Memphis to Bristol, let me know because I have all the speed traps memorized on that route :)
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Chargen69

it'd be nice to have a spotter going through ATL

stripedelete

Quote from: Chargen69 on July 28, 2012, 08:20:37 PM
it'd be nice to have a spotter going through ATL

Atlanta is no sweat.  They can't ticket you for sitting in a traffic jamb.  If your coming to town, make sure it's between 10am and 2pm.   If you are passing through it's 10am - 3pm or 10pm to 6am.   All bets are off in April.  Atlanta PD has to much on their plate to worry about your speed.  But the locals will get out and generate some revenue on the weekends.