News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine 440 rebuild...

Started by 1974dodgecharger, July 17, 2012, 11:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

Is this a good deal? Seems he bored it over already and honed etc.. all cleaned up and ready to be put back together. I was thinking this is something I could do in my living room for a year or so and buy its pieced and then drop it in a future charger?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/pts/3037840827.html

Cooter

$1100.00?! :o

Damn, I gotta stock bore 1974 "HP" Block I'd sell you for bout half that...You need to pop it .030, but it's tanked and cleaned.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

FLG

Nope, not worth it...he would have gotten more money if it was just hot tanked and cleaned.

-Bored .060 over (does not mention if they sonic tested the block before going this far, and at .060 its as far as youd go so theres no more room for anything more)

It was finish honed before pistons were even in hand, final honing should be done when you have the pistons and rings in hand and ready to install.

You could find a complete 440 for 500$ or less, especially if your not looking for any kind of "special" engine like the one in the link you listed.

Ive bought countless 440 engines, never spent more than a few hundred bucks on em.

1974dodgecharger

Well my goal is to build an engine in my spare time (first time in my life) with 'kits' out there such as the 440source.com compelte kits to assemble. Figure take me a year or so in my garage or living room letting it sit there etc....

Or I was thinking going the complete route and save up 2 years of money and buy a complete engine with blower ready to drop in such as from Al's barn engines or something similiar for 14k to 15k.
Quote from: FLG on July 18, 2012, 01:16:30 AM
Nope, not worth it...he would have gotten more money if it was just hot tanked and cleaned.

-Bored .060 over (does not mention if they sonic tested the block before going this far, and at .060 its as far as youd go so theres no more room for anything more)

It was finish honed before pistons were even in hand, final honing should be done when you have the pistons and rings in hand and ready to install.

You could find a complete 440 for 500$ or less, especially if your not looking for any kind of "special" engine like the one in the link you listed.

Ive bought countless 440 engines, never spent more than a few hundred bucks on em.