News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona in Hot ROD Magizine

Started by MsMopar, July 10, 2012, 06:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MsMopar

Anybody know about this car?    :shruggy:    MsMopar

Ghoste

TheAutoArchaeologist

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

MsMopar

I just knew someone on this forum would know about it. Didn't think it would be the writer! Congratulations! Sooooooo, I suppose your sworn not to mention the location of the car. Just wondering how far north. MsMopar

TheAutoArchaeologist

It is located in Wisconsin.  That's about all I can say on that.  But here is the original thread and link to the blog.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,84238.0/all.html

http://www.carsinbarns.blogspot.com/2011/09/daytona-in-farm.html

This is the 2nd of 3 "Barn Find" Daytonas I have shot.  And I recently shot a 69 Charger 500 in a barn.... and a bunch of Superbirds.

Ryan

MsMopar

Ryan, 
Thanks for the reply. Didn't think you would respond anymore. The blog is much more to appreciate next to the little clip in Hot rod. :2thumbs: I learned a long time ago that finding a barn car does not mean you can own it. I watched an 8000 mile superbird slip away after a few years. Watched a 69 charger RT and a 500 rot away for years before my eyes only to find out the owner sold the pair for $2,500. Heck, I watched my 500 rot away for 4 years before he sold it to me! You can't make someone sell something if they don't want to. MsMopar

TheAutoArchaeologist

It is terrible when that happens.  That's why I drive around and document them in that condition.  To inspire people to buy up the barn finds or fix up their own.

If you know of anything cool lying around, let me know.  I have a travel budget now!

GOTWING

Does this mean that whatever is in the garage behind it is more valuable then the Tona ?? The owners don't give two chits about this car, if they did it would be in the garage. People like this get off on leaving these cars out rotting in the yard. They are saying "it's mine and you can't have it" The same exact situation is near where i live, 1970 R/T Challenger V code 440+6 4spd.pistol grip dana 60 car, top banana yellow, go wing,etc. last tagged and sitting in the same spot OUTSIDE since late 1970's  :RantExplode:

Aero426

I heard that the Daytona owner was offered a Superbird in good condition as an even trade not long ago.   Predictably, the answer was no. 

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Aero426 on July 23, 2012, 01:37:29 PM
I heard that the Daytona owner was offered a Superbird in good condition as an even trade not long ago.   Predictably, the answer was no. 

Woh, really?  :o  I would have taken that deal with the car in that condition.

Keeping them unprotected IMO is just plain dumb.
Had a local guy with a 70 Charger RT 440+6 4spd Plum Crazy car.
Kept it outside for years. Not even a cover on it.  Guess what happened.
Yep, got stolen.  Still MIA as far as I know.

Aero426

This car has been known locally for decades.     Various people have attempted over the years to encourage getting the car under cover to no avail.   

TheAutoArchaeologist

They never mentioned anything about a Superbird.  And they aren't really car people.  They don't have a shed full of Muscle Cars.  This is the only muscle car they have.

And the reason it is outside is the roof on the garage is caving in and they didn't want it caving in on the car.... just it has been caving in for 15 years.

Ryan

Aero426

Quote from: Devil on July 23, 2012, 07:52:22 PM
They never mentioned anything about a Superbird. 
Ryan

It was the B5 car with the Bee hood that you took pics of.   

GOTWING

So fix the roof.. or here is an idea, purchase one of those portable metal carports and a California car cover made for wing cars, put it up on blocks, cover it under the carport. Makes too much sense though. The car will never get restored by the owner because they do not care to even slow down the rotting process :brickwall:

Ghoste

I understand the reluctance to let a car go but if you don't have the money to have a proper storage area for he car you definitely don't have the coin to restore one. 

GOTWING

Exactly, and what about the condition of the building to the left with the metal roof?  :shruggy: But I guess what we all have to realize it is HIS car and if he chooses to watch it rot into the ground rather than count out the amount of cash it's worth then that is his decision.  ::)

Ghoste

I don't even think about the value of the car monetarily.  There are so many of these "fix it up someday" cars rotting away and some of them are so rare and unique.  I wish I had money to get them all and save them because after they're gone, the historical significance will begin to outweigh the cash value of some in my opinion.

WINGIN IT

What I don't get is, they're worth less and less as they rot and rot.
So why not protect it? Seems logical to me.
I think some of these guys think the value will grow over time no matter what the condition.

Or they just like one helluva lawn ornament...

Aero426

Quote from: WINGIN IT on July 24, 2012, 08:03:28 AM

So why not protect it? Seems logical to me.

These are not logical people. 

Ghoste

Of course, there are many who would argue that we aren't either. :lol:

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on July 24, 2012, 11:05:15 AM

That is also true.

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on July 24, 2012, 11:14:49 AM

That is also true.
I know for sure both of you  guys are just not RIGHT    :nana: :nana: :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

WINGIN IT

Quote from: moparstuart on July 24, 2012, 11:27:40 AM
Quote from: Aero426 on July 24, 2012, 11:14:49 AM

That is also true.
I know for sure both of you  guys are just not RIGHT    :nana: :nana: :nana:
Agreed, that they are not in their right mind, and some of you as well, so you are all wrong then, right?  :D