News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I just dont care for stock car racing

Started by Paul G, July 09, 2012, 09:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

I just don't see it. Don't follow racing at all. No interest in it. The reason maybe is NASCAR cars are dressed up like production vehicles. All they really are is decals over a generic body. Nothing like a car we can buy at the dealer. So you see your brand win. Big deal, cant go buy that car. I would love to see the cars that are racing on the track actually be a car that can be bought by the general public. It would then be more real to me. I see NASCAR almost like professional wrestling. Looks real, but it ain't!
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Indygenerallee

Yep, I don't care for it either, I would much rather go watch dirt track racing (modified and sprints) at my local track!!! Much more exciting! Nascar is all about merchandising their drivers they could give a rats ass about the cars except for safety.....
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

B5charger

The different manufacturers are not different at all.  I find it funny that after the race they place a template over the cars to make sure no one is cheating.  Then there are some teams which buy their engines from other teams.  Where's the competition there?

Cooter

Them Circle rack boys drive around in circles looking for the finish line....I drive straight towards it. ;D
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

myk

Well stock car racing hasn't been stock car racing for decades, so who could blame you...

Aero426

That was then.  This is now.   There is no going back to the glory days.   But even in the glory days, the cars were nowhere near stock.    By 1968 they were basically building a tube frame within the Chrysler unibody.  EVERYTHING from the firewall forward is purpose built.   Take a 1969 Ford Torino and you have a unibody back half with the front of a 65 Galaxie FULL FRAME added on.  (This was because the unibody couldn't hack it.)   Well, you couldn't buy that car either!   

When the factories left in 1971, and then with the downsizing of cars in the late 70's, that drove the industry towards a standardized chassis.   What we have today are McRacecars.    But I don't know how you get away from that without destroying the parity.     People say, "Yeah, well I want to see the best car win".    That's fine but then people will complain that one manufacturer is stinking up the show.    "But I want to see REAL cars!"    Well, they won't run 500 miles three wide at 190 mph and hold up.   For every change, there is a trade off. 

As far as what we have today, it sort of is what it is.   

nvrbdn

:iagree: nascar has evolved the same as the rest of the world. same as sporting rules, the mound in baseball. the goal post and equiptment in football. everything evolves with the times. the same as the vehicles on the road today compared to the 50's. im still a motor sports freak even with the changes. nhra, nascar, dirt track, love them all. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Mytur Binsdirti

A Nascar race is as dull as watching grass grow.

nvrbdn

dull? dull?  youve never seen my grass grow. how can you call that dull?  :smilielol: :smilielol:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

jaak

I've always heard outcomes are predetermined, like pro wrestling is  :shruggy:

Jason

wingcar

The last words a Crew Chief tells his driver before the start of the race...."Remember, turn left, then turn left, then make another left, and then another left again.....Repeat for the next 200 laps then park it......."  (Unless they are on a road course, then its "figure it out for yourself.......")
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

nvrbdn

thats all ok as long as they remember what track they are at. if they are running a 210 lap race, that driver will be sitting in the pits saying "did i win?" and there are 10 laps left. :smilielol:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Kern Dog

When the automakers switched to WRONG wheel drive, it was over.
The "sport" has sold its soul. Toyota? REALLY??? Whats next? A KIA?

Scaregrabber

I try not to watch it but sometimes it's like a trainwreck, you just have to look.
Really though, although it's not perfect I honestly don't know how it could have evolved any differently. I don't really want to see "stock" Chargers and Ford Focuses racing each other. I guess the thing that makes me dislike it the most is the canned interviews etc. I like to see real competitive driving and if they interview a guy and he's P.O.ed he just got knocked out, I can't blame him. But the majority of folks want to see boys with nice hair shmooze their products and smile for the cameras.

Sheldon

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: wingcar on July 09, 2012, 04:33:25 PM
The last words a Crew Chief tells his driver before the start of the race...."Remember, turn left, then turn left, then make another left, and then another left again.....Repeat for the next 200 laps then park it......."  (Unless they are on a road course, then its "figure it out for yourself.......")
Funny,   My cousin raced 1/4 midgets when he was a kid and his crew chief (his dad) used to tell him too remember the 3 rules of racing..    Pass, pass, pass. 

Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

FLG

I agree,

Agreed, cars back in the day only were a shell" of the real thing...but who cares. All about going fast and down force and best this and best that. Id rather see em go slower in cars that look like production vehicles than fast in cars that all look the same.

C5X DAYTONA

Not into the vehicles and models there trying to immatate these days.   But the spectical is still awesome to me.   Expecially the sound of them on the super speedways.  WOW..  
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

Mike DC

The sport could have evolved differently.  

I see no reason for the spec car & engine.  Why not just measure what each manufacturer brings to the table and handicap them (wing, restrictor plate, etc) accordingly?  They did this for decades.  It took more effort on the part of the league but it was basically working.

IMHO they were morons to allow the body styling to get too standardized.  They should have seen the negative blowback from that one coming.

Cooter

Last time I checked, I didn't see any of those RWD Toyotas on the local lot...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

The unique race only engines aren't being offered under any stock hoods either so far as I know.

Paul G

I would love to see production chassis vehicles running production block, heads and drivetrain. That is limitation enough. Let them add roll cages and better brakes, lighten the car, anything to improve safety. Just make it stock again. The tricks they will come up with can be directly transferred to production cars like we drive.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Aero426

Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on July 10, 2012, 01:21:19 AM
Not into the vehicles and models there trying to immatate these days.   But the spectical is still awesome to me.   Expecially the sound of them on the super speedways.  WOW..  

Yes, standing next to the fence when they come by at Talladega is something else.     

Ghoste

A lot of those things need to be experienced live don't they?  I saw my first F1 race this year in the flesh and came away FAAAR more excited than when I had seen it on television.   Drag racing isn't the greatest broadcast entertainment either.

nvrbdn

drag racing with a funny car on the line is awesome. the pressure on your chest when those things launch. yep, that is sweet. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Scaregrabber

I guess in a way we have Chrysler to blame for killing "stock off the lot" package racing. The Hemi's and Wing cars were dominant along with the Ford aero packages and their Boss 429. GM couldn't compete with their lesser hardware so NASCAR legislated the dominate packages out of competition so the lesser manufacturer could have a chance. Now we are where we are at today. NASCAR "okays" any new engine or body so GM and Toyota can have a chance.
Back in the day GM fans will claim their factories were not in racing but that's really not true, they were just backdooring their lesser hardware is all.

Sheldon