News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Converting rear drums in my '69 R/T to discs...opinions?

Started by tylerk, July 02, 2012, 11:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tylerk

I was wanting to go with disc brakes all the way around, but got to wondering if swapping the big drums in the back would hurt the value of my car? Lord willing I'll never part with it, and would keep the drums anyhow...just didn't know if this would be something that's frowned upon by the purist community? Any thoughts?  :cheers:

Ghoste

It would hurt the value to some and increase it to others.  Personally I would leave the drums.  They work, they're original and to convert is just added expense.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on July 03, 2012, 07:12:58 AM
It would hurt the value to some and increase it to others.  Personally I would leave the drums.  They work, they're original and to convert is just added expense.

:iagree:

IMHO rear discs are not needed except if you want the "wow factor" of showing discs through a custom set of rims, or need extra stopping power for auto crossing etc.

For normal cruising the rear drums work just fine. :Twocents:

Save the $$ for gas!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

471_Magnum

Very little to be gained with rear discs, especially when paired with stock front brakes.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

flyinlow

Put rear disks on my 73. Look good. Only a very slight improvement in braking after much adjusting front/ rear bais. Parking brake on the disk sucks compaired to the drums.

If you drive hard enough to fade the drums ( driving down Pikes Peak for example) the disks are a good idea.  :Twocents:

tylerk

Thanks gentlemen, ya'll told me what I wanted to hear. Keeping them in the back and putting the extra money towards some surprise that I have yet to discover lol.  :cheers:

Musicman