News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got a project 70, now the fun/pain begins

Started by toocheaptosmoke, June 29, 2012, 09:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baldwinvette77

6pktgo

That`s right, It`s useless, unless you get the right tank,  & that`s a nice Drainmathingy!!   :2thumbs:       To clean out my vents, I just turned them up side down.

toocheaptosmoke

Now that's how you get all the nuts and pine cones out!  :yesnod:

Here's the front seats I got with the car, still need to find a rear seat.  Probably put some indian blanket seat covers on for now, maybe let the passenger suffer with crackd vinyl.  :scratchchin:

I took out the heater box and uninstalled the factory mouse nest.  Keeping fingers crossed that the heater core is good, can't seem to find replacements?  Also pulled the A/C evaporator since there's no chance I'll ever put A/C back in.  In that case the windows need to work, so I pulled both front regulators as they were seized.   I figured I'd pick up a couple used regulators, then I saw what they go for, then I decided I might not need them.   Drivers side was rusted really solid, had to take it apart with a good sized hammer.  After I gave it a work over it was rivited back together and works smooth like butta.   Passenger side went a bit easier, after soaking in penetrating oil for a week it was knocked off the work bench and freed itself when it hit the floor.

Also have the steering column out, gave the bottom joint a thorough inspection and cleaning and oiled the bearings.  Turn signal cam was replaced with a POS aftermarket one, probably end up replacing the whole turn signal assembly eventually.  Put in a new key and cylinder. 

That's about got things caught up with where the car is at the moment, except for the pile of parts that has been gathering.  Will update that next.

dyslexic teddybear

"knocked off the work bench and freed itself when it hit the floor."

Interesting repair method. :2thumbs:

toocheaptosmoke

Standard question I get, "You going to put a (insert large engine) in it???"  - "No, a 318" - "Oh..."   

So yes, it will be getting a 318 back into it, more specifically a later model magnum series from a truck.  I have a '96 ram with the 5.2 and I like that engine, I think it should be fine going into a car weighing 2000 lbs. less.  Plan on driving the car a lot and want something that still gets half decent mileage.  Ended up just grabbing an engine from a wrecking yard, tore it down for inspection.

Keeping with the truck drivetrain, I got an nv3500 5 speed tranny from a dakota.

Picked up a cheap rear axle, it's an 8.8 from a ford exploder, came setup for disc brakes, 3.73 gears, and a limited slip.

Indygenerallee

No please don't put that Exploder 8.8 in it!!  :lol: if you have to put a Ford rear axle in it at least go with a 9" easier to change gears.  :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

toocheaptosmoke

I hear you about having a removable 3rd member, but trying to find a decent priced 9" is tough.  :brickwall:  We'll give this one a shot and see how it goes, for the price of a gear set you can get a whole nother axle.  It's a good thing toyota's have a different bolt pattern otherwise a toyota mini truck axle may have found it's way in there...  :o  But don't worry, there will also be a few GM parts involved to keep the ford parts company.  :D

Baldwinvette77

I personally like the fact you are using whatever you can find to put it together  :2thumbs: it's that 8.8 the correct width, or what?  :shruggy: cause i might go that route if i can find one, only "bolt in" axles i can find locally are like 1000$ and up, used  :eek2: and i might be using some spare corvette spindles i have along with their 4 piston brake calipers  :D

toocheaptosmoke

The exploder 8.8 is supposed to be 59.5" wide WMS to WMS, and has the correct 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.  I looked up a chrysler 8-3/4 and it says it's width is 59.2", so that's close enough for me. ;)  Spring perches will need relocated along with some other stuff probably. 

Rolling_Thunder

$1000+ for bolt in rears?  Jeez  there is a 1969 Charger 8 3/4 rear with 3.23 gears by me for $250
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on April 08, 2013, 01:05:55 PM
$1000+ for bolt in rears?  Jeez  there is a 1969 Charger 8 3/4 rear with 3.23 gears by me for $250

Lucky, and im not kidding, anything charger is insanely overpriced in canada

http://ecat.crosscanadaparts.com/base/welcome.php?year=1968&make=DODGE&model=CHARGER

and yes, those fender, hood and trunk prices are in dollars, yeah i could "import" them from the states but by the time i pay all the BS shipping fees and other crap the prices would be similar...

toocheaptosmoke

Got the subframe connectors in over the weekend, but still need to do the torque boxes.  Been sick the past few days and haven't gotten a whole lot done.  Was going to

One of the valve covers was rusted out on the engine so I grabbed a set off fleebay.  Osha orange paint should be good for at least 10 hp.

Fedex man probably hates me, over the past couple months I have been accumulating parts.  My parents are getting pissed that there are parts scattered all over the house.  :lol: 

Mini mountain of Moog,

JB400

At least your working on it :cheers:  I have to wait and see on mine :'(

projectanimal

Great job!!  It's like Christmas each day with the new packages arriving!   Last year we were in the same boat and the UPS guy would ask which parts he was delivering!!  :smilielol:
Enjoying the progress pictures keep up the great work! 
:cheers: :popcrn:
northwest CT

Baldwinvette77

RIDELIKEHELL

Got to love all those boxes ! like christmas but for adults  :lol:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

toocheaptosmoke

It is just like christmas, just wish santa would start buying me some parts...  :lol: 

toocheaptosmoke

For fuelization I'm going with a quadrajunk, partly because I have one, and partly because I like them.   Quadrajets are like mullets, small primaries for economy (business in the front) and huge secondaries (party in the back!)   :icon_smile_big:

This one's off a buick 350 I think

Kern Dog

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on April 12, 2013, 10:53:46 PM
For fuelization I'm going with a quadrajunk, partly because I have one, and partly because I like them.   Quadrajets are like mullets, small primaries for economy (business in the front) and huge secondaries (party in the back!) 

THAT is funny!

toocheaptosmoke

Here's a question for the experts: 

I have this,

And bought a motor mount like this,

But this is no bueno.   :scratchchin:  What am I missing?

Indygenerallee

You need the metal brackets that bolt to the engine.. easy to find 318/360 mounts are the same should be a million of em' out there, Dodge used that same bracket all the way into the 90's
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Kern Dog

I went through something like that when I built a Challenger 10 years ago. The car was incomplete when I got it. The missing parts were E body specific and I had NO E body experience. It sucks when you don't even know what you are missing!

PocketThunder

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on April 08, 2013, 11:34:20 AM
The exploder 8.8 is supposed to be 59.5" wide WMS to WMS, and has the correct 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.  I looked up a chrysler 8-3/4 and it says it's width is 59.2", so that's close enough for me. ;)  Spring perches will need relocated along with some other stuff probably. 

What does WMS mean?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Baldwinvette77

i think it means wheel mounting surface or something like that  :popcrn: