News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ok I have a whats it worth on a 68 charger/ NOW WITH PICS AND MORE INFO

Started by 1st_charger, June 24, 2012, 06:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1st_charger

first off I don't have pics of the car right now should have some in a week or two!

Its a 68 charger original 383 4 speed car dark green hard top its all there never been apart and all original I'm looking for current price / value! I know its hard to do with out pics at this time but right now I'm just looking for ballpark! I can say that the car is rough on the under side as it was stored in a barn on a dirt floor for a number of years I know its going to need floors and probable the 3/4 quarters. The biggest thing that I'm looking at is that its an original 4-speed and it still has its original drive train in place, plus the fact that its not missing any parts!

Any reply on what you would value a car like this at would be very help full, And I know this is hard with out pics, I will try to get some as soon as possible! Thanks!

1974dodgecharger

that 4 speed will bring in some value probably extra 5k I say if you have original documentations etc...you can fetch 15k to 35k range yes big range because these values of these is based on perception on who is buying of course and the end will be WHO HAS THE ACTUAL CASH!

Tilar

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on June 24, 2012, 07:08:22 AM
that 4 speed will bring in some value probably extra 5k I say if you have original documentations etc...you can fetch 15k to 35k range yes big range because these values of these is based on perception on who is buying of course and the end will be WHO HAS THE ACTUAL CASH!

15 to 35K for a base 68 that needs floors and quarters and no idea when the last time it was ran? Regardless of the tranny it has, I don't see that happening. I think the 5k is a good start.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

surmanajaja

without pics 3-5k, if you find a crazy person who just has to have it, 7k max.

bull

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Tilar on June 24, 2012, 10:55:03 AM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on June 24, 2012, 07:08:22 AM

15 to 35K for a base 68 that needs floors and quarters and no idea when the last time it was ran? Regardless of the tranny it has, I don't see that happening. I think the 5k is a good start.

good point like you said 5k to 15k then....shoot at 5k Ill take it hahahhaha RIGHT NOW!

bakerhillpins

Interior color?   3x Green cars don't tend to do as well as other color combos. I realize you mentioned it was a hard top.

Does it have AC? What other options does it have?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

ACUDANUT

All 68 Chargers had hard tops. Some had a vinlye roof, but they were all hard tops. :icon_smile_big:

triple_green

the biggest thing I underestimated was the cost of paint and bodywork if you can't do it yourself. A complete car is valuable too, so at least  you can see what the parts look like and then either restore and re-use them of find the right aftermarket.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

1st_charger

I'm going to have to get some pics of the car to post sorry for the hard top wording thats how I describe a non vynal roof charger! I don't think it has ac and as for the other options I need to get a look at the data tag! thanks for all of the input every one!

Dans 68

Post the pics and fender tag when you can and the "experts" on this site will chime in with some good numbers. The '68 383 4-speeds are very rare beasts (333 total made) and can command a bit more than other XP's. Looking forward to seeing the car!  :cheers:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

1st_charger

I went and looked at the car and its not as rough as I thought the floor actually looks pretty solid and I didn't see any frame issues! the engine I didn't try to roll it over but was told it did move with a breaker bar from the data tag its a pretty basic charger it does have the tic toc tach, rear window defog rear seat speaker, wheel lip molding, 3.23 sure grip, 383 hp 4bbl, 4speed manual (A833) its paint is racing green metallic stripe delete with black vinyl interior and it came with F70 x 14 redline steel belts, as for the paper work all that is there is a title, the build sheet could still be in one of the seats it is a 3rd owner car at this time.

Here are the pics I was able to get I tried to tack pics of the worst spots as i could see them I know I said it would need floors and 1/4's but now I'm thinking 1/4 patches and maybe a trunk floor and possibly fendres! let me know what you think!

http://photobucket.com/68charger4speed

bakerhillpins

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 25, 2012, 08:59:02 AM
All 68 Chargers had hard tops. Some had a vinlye roof, but they were all hard tops. :icon_smile_big:

:slap:  :nana:

Quote from: 1st_charger on July 09, 2012, 07:53:49 PM
I went and looked at the car and its not as rough as I thought the floor actually looks pretty solid and I didn't see any frame issues! the engine I didn't try to roll it over but was told it did move with a breaker bar from the data tag its a pretty basic charger it does have the tic toc tach, rear window defog rear seat speaker, wheel lip molding, 3.23 sure grip, 383 hp 4bbl, 4speed manual (A833) its paint is racing green metallic stripe delete with black vinyl interior and it came with F70 x 14 redline steel belts, as for the paper work all that is there is a title, the build sheet could still be in one of the seats it is a 3rd owner car at this time.

Here are the pics I was able to get I tried to tack pics of the worst spots as i could see them I know I said it would need floors and 1/4's but now I'm thinking 1/4 patches and maybe a trunk floor and possibly fendres! let me know what you think!

You say it's all original - Did you check for the VIN on the block/trans (on the rear of the block where the trans connects and on the pass side of the trans?). It's got a Hurst shifter so it should be a late build car and therefore have the VIN stampings. Is the order # on the rad core support and the trunk lip? If it's an original 4spd car you will see a stiffening strip for the clutch pedal to the left for the master brake cylinder.

Did you look at the frame rails or did you actually bang on them? It's too bad you didn't get a pic of the tag as it shouldn't decode as a stripe delete since it is not an RT car so that makes me wonder about the tag?  Got 3spd wipers.

Looks like the car has LOTS of rust on the interior. That would bug me a bit. Where did all that water come from? Did you pull back the carpets on the floors and look for rust through? The car doesn't seem to have a hood insulation pad so it must not be an undercoat car. Between the look of that trunk and the rust in the interior I wonder if you are going to have floor work.

Being a green car with a black interior that is a major + IMHO (over 3x green that is). What the heck is up with those mud flaps?   :eek2:  :lol:

The 4spd is a plus on the price and it looks to be complete and that helps but it seems rough. I am in at around 10k, maybe under.   :Twocents:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

1st_charger

It is a undercoated car and if you look at the engine pics you can see pieces of the hood insulation that are left! the data dag decodes as stripe delete (UBS  8) and it also decodes as an ordered car  (U 1 Sold car when new(someone ordered it)) as for the vin I tried to get a pic of the vin on the dash but couldent get it threw the window and I could not get under the car in its current spot to look for the vin on the motor the data tag shows the care being built on May 13th  I would not think of that as late built car?

1974dodgecharger

10k all the way up to 20k if all original. Of course the seller is gonna want 20k and tell you 'its a charger they go up in value daily'  :icon_smile_big:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 1st_charger on July 10, 2012, 04:48:36 AM
It is a undercoated car and if you look at the engine pics you can see pieces of the hood insulation that are left! the data dag decodes as stripe delete (UBS  8) and it also decodes as an ordered car  (U 1 Sold car when new(someone ordered it)) as for the vin I tried to get a pic of the vin on the dash but couldent get it threw the window and I could not get under the car in its current spot to look for the vin on the motor the data tag shows the care being built on May 13th  I would not think of that as late built car?

Ah, yes. I see the little bits of fur there at the bottom of the hood.

It's a 383 car... It should not be coded for stripe delete because it wasn't an available option.  If it has no digits under the S then that works, but if it has an 8 under the S then I question the tag as that is the first 68 383 tag I have seen stamped that way.  :Twocents:  

VIN on the motor is going to be on the top of the block where it connects to the bell housing. Near the oil sending unit IIRC.
http://andy440.com/other.htm

IIRC they started building 68s in Aug 67 and were done by July 68. May seems late in that cycle to me.

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on July 10, 2012, 04:56:35 AM
10k all the way up to 20k if all original. Of course the seller is gonna want 20k and tell you 'its a charger they go up in value daily'  :icon_smile_big:

I have seen 69 4spds in better condition sit at 20 and even sell in the 12k range. Neither car had a BS. I realize it's a 68 so there are fewer.  As usual YMMV.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

1st_charger

according to the 68 charger registry the 8 under the UBS on the data plate says that it is stripe delete I don't under stand how you could not order a car in 68 with this option of deleting the stripe!as the data plate also states it was an ordered car per the info on the 68 charger registry! My biggest questions right now is if this car is totally legit how rare is it and how much is it worth ballpark I know its only worth what some one will pay!

Thanks again for all the input as I am not numbers guy!

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

1st_charger

just added it to the photobucket!

I could not get the camera to take a closer pic but if you zoom in on the pic you should be able to read it fine!

Dans 68

What you think is the number "8" is in fact the letter "B". It is directly under the "U" in the "UBS" code and it refers to the paint on the interior upper door frame. "B" means black. If the number "8" is under the "S" in the UBS code then it refers to the stripe, or lack thereof.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

1st_charger

ok so the lack of a number under the S means that the car had no stripe? Thanks again for all of your help!

Dans 68

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Dans 68 on July 10, 2012, 07:18:44 PM
What you think is the number "8" is in fact the letter "B". It is directly under the "U" in the "UBS" code and it refers to the paint on the interior upper door frame. "B" means black. If the number "8" is under the "S" in the UBS code then it refers to the stripe, or lack thereof.

Dan

What Dan says!   :yesnod:

Quote from: 1st_charger on July 10, 2012, 06:30:29 PM
according to the 68 charger registry the 8 under the UBS on the data plate says that it is stripe delete I don't under stand how you could not order a car in 68 with this option of deleting the stripe!as the data plate also states it was an ordered car per the info on the 68 charger registry!

383 Big Block Chargers (XP VIN cars) DID NOT have the stripe as an option from the factory, ordered car or not. Since a stripe was not an option there was not a delete code for an 383/XP car. Hence if the tag had a delete code it would be suspect. See here:
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1968DealershipDataBook-03.shtml

Quote from: 1st_charger on July 10, 2012, 06:30:29 PM
My biggest questions right now is if this car is totally legit how rare is it and how much is it worth ballpark I know its only worth what some one will pay!

Thanks again for all the input as I am not numbers guy!

There were only something like 360 383 4spd cars made in 68. I think 73 of those were 2bbl cars. They are not overly common.

I am not trying to be a pain, but I want to reiterate this for the sake of everyone else who ends up reading this. If you don't see all the numbers on the car with your own eyes then don't pay for a #s car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :2thumbs:  So I strongly suggest you get under and over the car and verify them before you pay for something that doesn't exist.  Please read: http://andy440.com/other.htm

:cheers:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

NHCharger

Quote from: tan top on July 10, 2012, 05:46:44 AM
looks a good project !!  :yesnod:   :popcrn:
Project being the key word here.
The good: Looks like most of the car is there.
The bad: There's not one piece on that car that doesn't need to be cleaned, polished, welded, repaired, replaced, etc................
The 383/4 speed will help with the value but that car will still suck your wallet dry.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel