News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hood insulation pad for my 68

Started by RIDELIKEHELL, June 12, 2012, 06:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIDELIKEHELL

Would you buy the OE style$140 or the newer less exspensive one $40? Or for kicks not get one at all  :shruggy:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

resq302

If you had to have one, the OE style is nice and molded and looks WAY better than the generic $40 one.  But if it were me, and you did not want to hide some crappy looking paint on the underside of the hood, I would leave it off and save some money.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: resq302 on June 12, 2012, 08:06:58 AM
If you had to have one, the OE style is nice and molded and looks WAY better than the generic $40 one.  But if it were me, and you did not want to hide some crappy looking paint on the underside of the hood, I would leave it off and save some money.

thx Brian! I just don't want to mess my paint up but I can always add it later on down the road...the OE one that is  ;)
AMD POSTER BOY

resq302

I added one to my car because I got tired of looking at the dirt that was in the paint under it.  It gives it a more crisper, cleaner look to the underside of the hood.  The metal clips were a major pain in the rump to install though!  Plan on having a few go flying or dropping down into the engine compartment when you install them.   :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Back N Black

I decided not to replace it after i restored my charger. They are just dust collectors, that get sucked into the carb.  :Twocents:

bill440rt

I used to have one on my '68 as well, factory undercoat car. A generic pad, way before the molded ones hit the market. Glad I got rid of it, & I won't be installing another. Made a mess of the engine compartment with the crap & dust that kept coming off it. Scuffs up the air cleaner pie tin also, if you have one. I'd rather look at a nicely painted underside of the hood.
:Twocents:

Clips are easy to install. Hold the clip in place with a rubber mallet, then strike the mallet with your hand. They go right in.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

See, mine never scuffed up the pie pan on mine.  Maybe because I am not running that thick cardboard spacer under the carb :shruggy:   I also havent had any issue with dust or crap coming off of the padding.  Maybe I do have some luck after all.....   :lol:
Brian

RIDELIKEHELL

Thx for the input guys I think I will go without one as my car is clean as a whistle under the hood...for now ;)
AMD POSTER BOY

bakerhillpins

Quote from: resq302 on June 12, 2012, 10:47:31 AM
See, mine never scuffed up the pie pan on mine.  Maybe because I am not running that thick cardboard spacer under the carb :shruggy:   I also havent had any issue with dust or crap coming off of the padding.  Maybe I do have some luck after all.....   :lol:

I have one on my 69 (which is a factory undercoat) and it looks to be the original pad. The pad definitely scuffs up my pie tin but it also seems old and raggy. Don't toss the clips as I hear that they are made of unobtainium. If you don't want them I think I know someone who may. (memory is  :flush: these days)

I guess I am in the if it was OE than put it on. But if you are not going that OE direction then leave it off. The painted engine bays are sweet looking!

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bill440rt

I've got a bunch of the metal clips. When did they become hard to get?
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

I thought that they were still repro'd but around $2 each.  Maybe I am wrong.
Brian

HeavyFuel

Timely topic.....I was just thinking about the same thing for my '68.

What exactly does the insulation pad insulate?   The hood from heat off the engine?  Or is it for sound?  (that seems unlikely)

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: resq302 on June 12, 2012, 11:16:59 AM
I thought that they were still repro'd but around $2 each.  Maybe I am wrong.

Year One has plastic clips?
AMD POSTER BOY

bakerhillpins

The information was relayed to me when I picked up the car last fall.

IIRC the clips in my car are metal, not plastic. Maybe that's the beef?   :shruggy:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

gtx6970

Primary purpose was sound deadening not heat insulation.'

plastic clips are ,,,, technically 1972 and newer BUT work just fine if your not after OE gold. and you would be surprised on how many don't know the difference

resq302

Bill could probably chime in as to if the metal ones are still available as repro or not!  I bet he actually has access to them! 
Brian

DixieRestoParts

We have a Carlisle sale going on and the molded hood pads are $65. I don't know who is selling them for $140, but I think that's way high. They are expensive to ship due to the size, but even at $30 shipping, you're in it cheaper than $140. If you're going to Carlisle, I'm having the manufacturer drop off ones that are pre-ordered. So, if you want one, order one and I'll have it there for you with no shipping charge.

The metal clips used to be available years ago as a repro and if they are the same ones, then they don't fit well. I always suggest using your original ones if they can be saved. Or you can use the plastic ones if originality isn't important.

Feel free to call with any questions.

See you at Carisle !!
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

maxwellwedge

Yes - The repop metal clips are below crap.

bill440rt

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 12, 2012, 09:07:04 PM
Yes - The repop metal clips are below crap.

Very interesting. The metal clips I have must be originals. I've had them for a LONG time.  :yesnod:

Fred

Firstly i found the air filter lid rubbed on it which in turn made it crumble away and made a mess in the engine bay.
It also got sucked into the air filter. So no hood insulation pad for my 68.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: DixieRestoParts on June 12, 2012, 09:02:44 PM
We have a Carlisle sale going on and the molded hood pads are $65. I don't know who is selling them for $140, but I think that's way high. They are expensive to ship due to the size, but even at $30 shipping, you're in it cheaper than $140. If you're going to Carlisle, I'm having the manufacturer drop off ones that are pre-ordered. So, if you want one, order one and I'll have it there for you with no shipping charge.

The metal clips used to be available years ago as a repro and if they are the same ones, then they don't fit well. I always suggest using your original ones if they can be saved. Or you can use the plastic ones if originality isn't important.

Feel free to call with any questions.

See you at Carisle !!

That price is in Canada and is above ballpark I thought as well.....I think I am going without one. Thx Though Dixie  :yesnod:
AMD POSTER BOY