News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lost first Gear... HELP!

Started by Calif240, June 04, 2012, 09:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calif240

So... this is the first month I've been able to get my Charger out after buying it two years ago... several thousand in sheet metal and paint and mechanical and she finally runs well enough to take into traffic... however, as I had my '69 with a 904 out tonight, it completely lost first gear. I manually put the automatic into 2nd gear while running about 20 mph and it shifted down to second fine. I then put it into first, the entire back end locked up and the car came to a screeching halt (I'm pretty sure thats not a good sign :brickwall:) So... anyway, I've never tackled a transmission issue before and wanted to get some input from you guys before taking it to a shop and getting railed without any idea of what could be the issue. If it looks like a major advice, it seems like I'd be better off to purchase a cheap small block 727 and just rebuild it myself and have all new clutches, bearings, bands, etc... Any advice or suggestions are extremely appreciated...

Thanks,
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

Dino

Could be an easy adjustment but I'll let that for the pros.  You can find 727's by the truckload but aren't they all longer than the 904 meaning you'd have to change the driveshaft?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Calif240

Yes. I'm going to be changing my driveshaft anyway, as tomorrow I'm picking up a new Moser Dana 60. I'll have to cut the driveshaft to get the Dana in. That's why I'm halfway leaning to just getting a small-block 727 and re-building it myself. But again... I'm a rookie, so I'm looking for any guidance or suggestions. Thanks...

Challenger340

"Manual" first just engages the Low/Reverse(rear) Band to assist the sprag as the reaction member, as opposed to just the sprag on it's own, I think ??
John Kunkel will know for sure...
either way, ain't good what you are describing ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

John_Kunkel

If the car won't move forward in Drive but it will in manual low, the sprag has failed.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Calif240

The car will move in "D", in "2" and in "R". It drives off the line much faster in reverse than in D, mostly because the tranny is defaulting to third gear when taking off. I can select "2" while moving and it is fine. I can also select "2" at a stop sign and start driving. However, "1" won't start the car moving, just jumps RPM up when I depress the gas. When the car is in drive and I switch from "D" to "1", the backend locks violently and won't budge. At that point I come to a screeching halt and have to put it back into "D". My only question is whether to pay a local tranny place to rebuild (approx $1000 with parts), purchase a brand-new small block 727, or buy a donor 727 and rebuild myself. Trying to figure out the best financial option, knowing that it gets a new 440 and BB 727 next summer.

Dino

Quote from: Calif240 on June 05, 2012, 06:01:11 PM
The car will move in "D", in "2" and in "R". It drives off the line much faster in reverse than in D, mostly because the tranny is defaulting to third gear when taking off. I can select "2" while moving and it is fine. I can also select "2" at a stop sign and start driving. However, "1" won't start the car moving, just jumps RPM up when I depress the gas. When the car is in drive and I switch from "D" to "1", the backend locks violently and won't budge. At that point I come to a screeching halt and have to put it back into "D". My only question is whether to pay a local tranny place to rebuild (approx $1000 with parts), purchase a brand-new small block 727, or buy a donor 727 and rebuild myself. Trying to figure out the best financial option, knowing that it gets a new 440 and BB 727 next summer.

Not sure where you are but here in the Detroit area the 727's pretty much grow on trees.  I say find a cheap 727, there's people on the board here upgrading their trans to manuals so I'm sure there's a bunch laying around garage floors.  How much do you drive the car?  If you're only going to put a few hundred miles on it by next summer then save your money for the BB stuff and drive it as is until then.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.