News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mallory or MSD ignition box owners...

Started by chargd72, June 03, 2012, 10:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

Can someone with Mallory or MSD ign box please put a voltage meter on the positive end of the coil when the key is in run position WITHOUT the engine actually running and tell me if they get a reading?   I'm trying to figure out why my ign box isn't working.  Also, if you can, I'd like to know the voltage reading while engine is cranking.  Thanks.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

red69superbee

you can go to MSD website and it will show a way to test to see if the box works.

Chryco Psycho

there will be no power at + coil terminal withthe key on , the MSD sends power to the coil not the key power

chargd72

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 03, 2012, 10:55:54 PM
there will be no power at + coil terminal withthe key on , the MSD sends power to the coil not the key power

Ok, but when the key is in run position WITH the engine running there has to be power at + end of coil or it couldn't get spark, correct?  If not, how does the box know when to send power to coil?

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Chryco Psycho

that would make sense but then if the engine running you would not be diagnosing a problem which is why I ahve not tested it LOL

chargd72

Ha, nice. Well I actually got a much more knowledgeable tech on the phone today. Sounds like these boxes only work with promaster coil. I also needed spiral core wires. So needless to say there goes another $150 for this ignition upgrade. This is becoming a nice little investment just to save the hassle of points.

Cooter

Well, look at it this way, How much is all that MSD/Mallory stuff worth if  (by the looks of your engine in the avatar is a small block) you never have to crawl over a hot engine to install another set of points in the 98 Degree heat?

To me, that is why I run MSD on all my junk, and I have Big Blocks.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"