News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dukes event Va

Started by GL#10, June 03, 2012, 05:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

I'm sure there is plenty of cool stuff going on at these events besides a stunt show. But I think the main argument in this thread is whether or not it is necessary to destroy a Charger at these events, no matter if it could not have been sold as a "whole", when perhaps it could have given up it's life as a parts donor.  :cheers:

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

GL#10

This has turned into a great discussion ,  i saw one fly in 2003 , and again in 2005 ,  i think it's time to come up with something other than a jump at these events , a ski car would be great to see , or some sort of chase .
The whole Jump a General Lee has been done . Here are a few of the jump car in question .

Mike DC

QuoteI'm sure there is plenty of cool stuff going on at these events besides a stunt show. But I think the main argument in this thread is whether or not it is necessary to destroy a Charger at these events, no matter if it could not have been sold as a "whole", when perhaps it could have given up it's life as a parts donor.

I hear what you're saying.  But with what is in AMD's catalog lately, I think even the parts donor argument is sounding less and less valid.  

Many of these jump cars have patched-up subframes lately.  If you don't want the floors, the subframes, or the outer skin, then what does that leave?  These things are already stripped of chrome trim, interior, wiring, weatherstripping, etc.  Most of the smaller metal brackets & hardware on the unibody would still probably be usable after a jump (and generally don't command much value anyway).  

I'm not saying NOTHING useful gets lost in the jump.  But I'm saying the amount useful stuff lost is becoming so minimal . . . when is the price low enough to make a GL jump okay?  When only $500 in used parts are lost?  $100?  $50?  If you still can't accept it at any number then I think it is crossing over into unfair bias against DOH/GL.  

Hypothetical - If somebody staged a fender-to-fender vintage NASCAR race (using replicas of the 1970 racers), then I'll bet people would defend it.  Enthusiastically.  Even if $10,000+ in old parts was being lost every time they held the race.  How is that different?  It's still just vintage cars/parts being purposely wrecked for entertainment.    

bill440rt

The "unfair bias against DOH/GL" card is becoming quite stale, IMHO.
In similar instance, the parts donor avenue is just one idea. Many things are possible to do with these cars.
Perhaps there is some intrinsic value to these cars vs monetary value. There will always be a market for used parts & parts cars. Some people simply cannot afford to open up an AMD catalog and check off every box. The day will come when parts cars will have dried up, but what will be left? Can't really answer that with Dynacorn bodies because that is an unknown. No one has a crystal ball. Destroying them is not really helping matters much, is it? 

There will always be different sides to this, & it doesn't mean one is right over the other. As long as there is an understanding where each other are coming from.  :cheers:

I guess it boils down to:
Can it be done? Yes.
Or should it be done?  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Cooter

Quote from: Bobby41909 on June 07, 2012, 01:32:21 PM
Quote from: bill440rt on June 07, 2012, 01:08:37 PM
I'm asking this in a serious fashion, as I am just trying to better understand this argument.

For all the '58 Plymouths out there that are deemed unrestorable & unwanted, should they then be burned like in the movie??  :shruggy:  
It is an apples-to-apples comparison, if you think about it.

Is there a following of folks looking to do so?  If so I've never heard of it.  If there were and you were just going to scrap the metal anyway...why not?

Funny you should bring this up....You should see the "idiots"(And their b*tchin') when someone makes a couch out of a "lowly" four door 1958 plymouth that NOBODY wanted to put up the cash for. IMO, jumping a Charger shouldn't be complained about any more than a couch made out of a 1958 Plymouth if you aren't willing to put your money where your mouth is and buy up the remaining cars when they are offered up for sale.Unlike Cancer as mentioned, you CAN CHANGE THIS(Which BTW,  I believe has a cure right now, it's just making too much money for the cure to be released. But, that's another "Disussion altogether))....Simple as that. You wanna try and control something? Well, put up the cash and you can control it...Until then, these cars WILL be jumped and made couches out of. I'm amazed at how many haven't seen the other side of this coin..Look at it this way, the more Chargers/58 Plymouths that are destroyed, the more your sh*t will be worth? Right? See, here's where we have a flaw in the slaw..(Speaking to everybody here)..It doesn't work this way. Just TRY and get your "Dream Price" for your Charger/58 Plymouth, even when there aren't any left due to this and NOBODY will pay it. Been there and these guys at Dukesfest have been there and done that. NOBODY stepped up to the plate. When you go to a junkyard and are looking for a good, 1970 Charger Fender. YOu find one on a ragged 1970 Charger. Why don't you buy the whole damn car? I mean, damn, it's just gonna get crushed so why not save it?
So what if the owner is asking good money for it. It's just gonna be another "Jump car" so buy it up now before that happens..Right? Yeah......Right...
Not gonna happen.  :rofl:

*For the record, IMO, most here are bias towards anything DOH, yet seem to "tolerate" anything "Bullitt", or "DMCL"...Yet, strongly dislike anything to do with "F&F"....*
Don't believe it? Take a long look at this thread. Many a Charger has been parted out and sold for scrap (Crushed), yet this seems to be "Acceptable" to the most, but certainly do NOT jump it through the air in celebration of the most popular Charger on the planet.. :shruggy: Forums are funny this way. As with life, there's always gonna be the ones that think they are "Tool cool" or "Too Above/Good" for whatever is popular. They want it to stay unpopular.  I feel it's like this with the DOH. Sure, it's only tolerated here to this extent because afterall, it WAS a Charger, just don't jump a roach through the air and we'll let it ride. :nana:

What about the flippers? Aren't they dealing mainly in these types of cars? I mean, not the high end flipper, but the low end one? Buying and reselling rusty hulks for the sum of it's parts? Aren't these guys helping to contribute to this problem? If it weren't for them selling these things to these types, this wouldn't happen right? Again, Money talks, Bullsh*t walks. It's all about the benjamins. You either fork over 'em, or watch on Youtube how another Roach of a Charger flew celebrating the DOH again.
How many numerous threads have I seen here about junkyards closing, crushing out, cars at someone's house, whatever, and all I see for replies is "Went by there last year. Owner is a mean SOB who thinks he's got gold. Can't buy anything". OR this one is my favorite: "Bought a couple things of this yard, but prices are too high".... Yet, I see these types posting  "Jumping these Chargers (Even though I refused to put up or shut up), is stupid"..So lemme see if I got this straight.....
Even IF the rest of the Chargers were affordable, these types wouldn't buy them all up to keep away from "jump guys/Crusher", but will certainly complain about it because someone else had some fun with it before it went to the same damn place it was going anyway. Hmmm...I got it now.  :smilielol:

I bet most if not all of us here has crushed a Charger at some point. If you claim not to, you either have never owned a Charger or your lying.
I see no one coming forth and talking bout their own contribution to crushing "Perfectly good parts cars" here..I've crushed probably 3 over the last 20 years, including my brothers factory 1969 R/T car. You know what? After putting up with everybody telling me I'm asking way too much for the damn parts, I simply took a video of the crusher coming down on the roof and the next time said people asked if I had anything left I showed it to them. Money talks, Bullsh*t walks...

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

QuoteThe "unfair bias against DOH/GL" card is becoming quite stale, IMHO.

It's an old complaint, maybe an overused one.  But it still has validity IMHO.  

People hack up cars for all sorts of reasons and most of them don't bring new blood into the hobby at the rate that DOH/GL does.  Pro street cars, customs, tearing up several nice 318 cars to fix a single Hemi car that is 80% gone, etc.  Heck, if you hack up a $500 Charger hulk to make a lawn ornament or an interesting wall decoration then you might get featured in a Mopar magazine article.  Most guys who tear up what's left of a Charger shell just don't get the criticism than falls onto a GL jump.

QuoteIn similar instance, the parts donor avenue is just one idea. Many things are possible to do with these cars.
Perhaps there is some intrinsic value to these cars vs monetary value. There will always be a market for used parts & parts cars. Some people simply cannot afford to open up an AMD catalog and check off every box. The day will come when parts cars will have dried up, but what will be left? Can't really answer that with Dynacorn bodies because that is an unknown. No one has a crystal ball. Destroying them is not really helping matters much, is it?

Yes but you are still operating with the idea that if these cars weren't being jumped then they would be used for something else.  I would argue that this doesn't really happen.  Not anymore.  

When somebody can't afford a decent solid mostly-complete Charger project, they usually don't start trying to restore a $500 hulk.  ($5000 hulks?  Yes.  But that's not the same thing as a $500 hulk.)  People usually save enough money to get something at least a little bit closer to workable.  The guys who can only afford $500 hulks . . . maybe they buy the project intending to do it "someday", or maybe they just wait and try to save money, but either way they don't turn a $500 hulk back into a working car.  

Parts?  
When somebody's project car has a quarter skin that is 50% rusted away, they don't cut off & install a replacement from a parts car that is 25% rusted away.  They want a replacement part with very little rust or else they buy one brand new.  By definition a $500 hulk doesn't have panels in such decent shape.  So what still gets used off the $500 parts-car Charger, really?  IMHO not much that couldn't come from a zillion other B-bodies of the era.  DOH fans wreck a few cars but they are not on a crusade to wipe every Mopar parts-car off the planet.    

QuoteThere will always be different sides to this, & it doesn't mean one is right over the other. As long as there is an understanding where each other are coming from.  cheers

Can it be done? Yes.
Or should it be done?  

Agreed, it is an "ethical debate" as to the use of these cars.  

AirborneSilva

Why don't you grow up and quit calling people whom don't believe the same thing you do "idiots"

Can we block someones posts so we don't have to read them, there is someone here whom has nothing to say of any value

Lennard

Quote from: AirborneSilva on June 08, 2012, 06:02:23 AM
Why don't you grow up and quit calling people whom don't believe the same thing you do "idiots"
Can we block someones posts so we don't have to read them, there is someone here whom has nothing to say of any value
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,91674.0.html

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Lennard on June 08, 2012, 06:06:45 AM

thanks, if we can't block him can he just be banned until he can quit calling people names just because they don't agree with his point of view  :shruggy:

Cooter

Quote from: AirborneSilva on June 08, 2012, 06:11:36 AM

thanks, if we can't block him can he just be banned until he can quit calling people names just because they don't agree with his point of view  :shruggy:

You musta missed my reply to ghoste when I corrected him as he too misread what I meant.

Sorry if I stepped on Both your feelings there Airborne. Maybe we need a hug too?  :pity:

For someone you claim has no value in posting, you sure do reply alot to them. :shruggy:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 08, 2012, 06:00:27 AM
QuoteThe "unfair bias against DOH/GL" card is becoming quite stale, IMHO.

It's an old complaint, maybe an overused one.  But it still has validity IMHO.  

People hack up cars for all sorts of reasons and most of them don't bring new blood into the hobby at the rate that DOH/GL does.  Pro street cars, customs, tearing up several nice 318 cars to fix a single Hemi car that is 80% gone, etc.  Heck, if you hack up a $500 Charger hulk to make a lawn ornament or an interesting wall decoration then you might get featured in a Mopar magazine article.  Most guys who tear up what's left of a Charger shell just don't get the criticism than falls onto a GL jump.

QuoteIn similar instance, the parts donor avenue is just one idea. Many things are possible to do with these cars.

Yes but you are still operating with the idea that if these cars weren't being jumped then they would be used for something else.  I would argue that this doesn't really happen.  Not anymore.  

When somebody can't afford a decent solid mostly-complete Charger project, they usually don't start trying to restore a $500 hulk.  ($5000 hulks?  Yes.  But that's not the same thing as a $500 hulk.)  People usually save enough money to get something at least a little bit closer to workable.  The guys who can only afford $500 hulks . . . maybe they buy the project intending to do it "someday", or maybe they just wait and try to save money, but either way they don't turn a $500 hulk back into a working car.  

Parts?  
When somebody's project car has a quarter skin that is 50% rusted away, they don't cut off & install a replacement from a parts car that is 25% rusted away.  They want a replacement part with very little rust or else they buy one brand new.  By definition a $500 hulk doesn't have panels in such decent shape.  So what still gets used off the $500 parts-car Charger, really?  IMHO not much that couldn't come from a zillion other B-bodies of the era.  DOH fans wreck a few cars but they are not on a crusade to wipe every Mopar parts-car off the planet.    

QuoteThere will always be different sides to this, & it doesn't mean one is right over the other. As long as there is an understanding where each other are coming from.  cheers

Can it be done? Yes.
Or should it be done?  

Agreed, it is an "ethical debate" as to the use of these cars.  

Agreed mike. Again, dead on the $$.

AirborneSilva

I don't think I've misread anything, what little I've read that is.  I get damn tired of seeing people (to include myself), being called idiots just because I don't agree with a certain point of view.   :Twocents:

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Cooter on June 08, 2012, 06:36:02 AM
Quote from: AirborneSilva on June 08, 2012, 06:11:36 AM

thanks, if we can't block him can he just be banned until he can quit calling people names just because they don't agree with his point of view  :shruggy:

You musta missed my reply to ghoste when I corrected him as he too misread what I meant.

Sorry if I stepped on Both your feelings there Airborne. Maybe we need a hug too?  :pity:

For someone you claim has no value in posting, you sure do reply alot to them. :shruggy:

Don 't need a hug, perhaps you should find out what the Airborne stands for...

Ignorance piss' me off, don't believe you would be man enough to say the shit you do to people to their face.

Cooter

I refer to people that post sacastic sh*t in a thread as being  an "Idiot". If this pisses you off, then so sorry there skippy. I say nothing I wouldn't say to your face.  It's a forum. Opinions will flare people's nerves. Just like something pisses me off, it will piss you off. Can't stand the heat get out the kitchen.

I never refer to any here in this thread that didn't post anything trying to turn what some believe is a serious discussion into a joke at others expense. With that said, you wanna prove your a badass, remember there's strength in numbers and I'm well loved around these parts. :2thumbs:

Again, sorry if I ruffled your feathers, but you have to remember that sarcasm isn't always the best medicine.

AirborneSilva

You sir are a joke and a coward....

Cooter

And I'm sure the same would be said about you sir if you tried to prove something to this coward.  :2thumbs:

Have a great life there Airborne. Good luck in your endevours.

AirborneSilva

BananaDan

QuoteI bet most if not all of us here has crushed a Charger at some point. If you claim not to, you either have never owned a Charger or your lying.

That's quite a bold statement.  I can guarantee you, with 1000% certainty, sworn on oath with a clear conscience that I own a Charger and have never crushed one.  I also suspect there are quite a few people that can say the same.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,92294.0.html
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Ram07

So much hostility...thought you guys were one big happy Charger family? All over something you will never change anyway, no matter how much complaing you do about it.

Get angry and the big budget movie makers that scoop up good cars off ebay or where ever and wreck them...they destroy more cars in one movie (more than likely) than the dukesfest thing has in 9 years....just a thought.

Lennard

Quote from: BananaDan on June 08, 2012, 07:23:43 AM
QuoteI bet most if not all of us here has crushed a Charger at some point. If you claim not to, you either have never owned a Charger or your lying.
That's quite a bold statement.  I can guarantee you, with 1000% certainty, sworn on oath with a clear conscience that I own a Charger and have never crushed one.  I also suspect there are quite a few people that can say the same.
Yep, me... I've got two in my backyard.

Brock Lee

Never crushed a Charger. Had several that likely were destined for it, but I could just never do it. Sold them for scrap value to guys that really wanted a Charger project. Did they restore them? I don't know. I did my best to keep them around. That is all I could do.

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Ram07 on June 08, 2012, 07:33:28 AM
So much hostility...thought you guys were one big happy Charger family? All over something you will never change anyway, no matter how much complaing you do about it.

Get angry and the big budget movie makers that scoop up good cars off ebay or where ever and wreck them...they destroy more cars in one movie (more than likely) than the dukesfest thing has in 9 years....just a thought.

Although I don't agree with them jumping the Charger my beef is with some coward sitting behind his keyboard trying to bully people...  I don't like cowards or bullies...

GL#10

Remember the Dukes Episode where Bo and Luke jumped the General lee across the creek to escape Boss and Rosco ??

On a serious note , you want to trade insults with each other , thats fine , maybe do that via a private message , and leave the thread to the topic  at hand .

AirborneSilva

Was glad to leave topic at hand, I just can't stand by why some coward tries to bully people, not in my nature..... 

Ghoste

Perhaps the "bias" is less about jumping a Charger than it is about a cultural value?