News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Speed Bleeders: speed bleeding the brake fluid out all over the floor

Started by bull, June 03, 2012, 02:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Sweet! $25 worth of DOT 5 all over the floor because the check valves in these POS things won't close. :brickwall:

Had the wife out pumping the brake pedal while I'm watching the drain hose on the RF calipers with those fancy, expensive Speed Bleeders and out comes bubbles, bubbles, more bubbles, until I figure out this is taking way too long to bleed. Walk around the other side and notice a big puddle under the LR tire and a smaller puddle under the RR tire (had already bled those and tightened the bleeders back up). So I tightened them more and had her push the pedal - still leaked. Tightened the living dog $4it out of them until I thought they might break off - still leaked. I can't get them any tighter and they still leak. What an expensive waste of time and money. Garbage!

I'm going back to the stock stuff. Pure Effing garbage! :flame:

Fred

I'm sorry bull I know you're being serious here but I had to laugh (not at you) I didn't mean to but I couldn't help it. That's some funny shit there.

Very frustrating for you I'm sure but one day (when you're actually driving that beast you're trying so hard to put together) you'll be laughing when you look back on it.

In the mean time pucker up and keep at it!  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

I know I wouldn't be happy if the brake fluid attacked the new paint on my calipers, backing plates or drums.

b5blue

Thanks for the heads up Bull! As I'm mostly a one man show fixing my car I really was considering them......not anymore.  :eek2:

On a lighter note look up pedal pumpers on you tube for a complete waste of time  :eek2:

bull

Quote from: Fred on June 03, 2012, 03:09:11 AM
I'm sorry bull I know you're being serious here but I had to laugh (not at you) I didn't mean to but I couldn't help it. That's some funny shit there.

Very frustrating for you I'm sure but one day (when you're actually driving that beast you're trying so hard to put together) you'll be laughing when you look back on it.

Sometimes I wonder if it's ever going to happen the way I seem to have to fight this car every little step of the way.

b5blue

bull

Thanks. It's a good thing in a way. I'm thankful for two things: they failed inside a nice, warm, controlled environment instead of on the road when I needed to make a traffic stop. I could just imagine these things puking half the brake fluid out while I'm pulling up to an intersection. And second, although it's expensive this DOT 5 saved me a lot of hassle because if it had been something else I'd have to be repainting a LOT of parts under the rear end. I'd REALLY be hot if I had to pull the axle and springs back out of this thing to repaint them.

Fred

Quote from: bull on June 03, 2012, 08:00:03 AM
Quote from: Fred on June 03, 2012, 03:09:11 AM

Sometimes I wonder if it's ever going to happen the way I seem to have to fight this car every little step of the way.

The reward will be all the sweeter when it does.  :2thumbs:

bull

Thanks, Fred.

The Ebay store "MotorcycleSpeedBleeders" refunded my money for these things so it's not all bad, but I still lost probably 60% of my $25/bottle brake fluid. I'm going to be yanking these things out asap. The infrequent convenience is no longer worth the risk to me. A lot of people like them and swear by them though. Guess I got a bad batch.

Fred

Well that's good news anyway.

I bleed mine the old fashioned way, works every time.

471_Magnum

I installed speed bleeders on the Road Runner recently. Back ones worked with no problems. Just as advertised.

Really had to crank down on the front ones to get them to seal off though. Pretty much the same problem you had. I eventually was able to get them to seal though.

These were the Doorman brand I got at Autozone.

I didn't spend any time trying to analyze the problem.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

bull

Quote from: 471_Magnum on June 16, 2012, 06:55:59 AM
I installed speed bleeders on the Road Runner recently. Back ones worked with no problems. Just as advertised.

Really had to crank down on the front ones to get them to seal off though. Pretty much the same problem you had. I eventually was able to get them to seal though.

These were the Doorman brand I got at Autozone.

I didn't spend any time trying to analyze the problem.

I couldn't get my rears any tighter without breaking them off... still leak. The fronts seem like they'd be ok but I'm not interested in using these things anymore. The cost to benefit ratio just isn't favorable IMO.