News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

should i drive in the rain.

Started by billssuperbird, June 02, 2012, 08:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billssuperbird

lake erie pa is having a mopar show june 3. with 40 percent chance rain. should i go. :brickwall: :shruggy:

1966hemi

I would in a heartbeat! So what if it gets water spots on the lower control arms or the wheel wells? It will give you one more reason to massage your beauty car when you get it back home after the show! It has wipers and a defroster right? Window seals leak? Thats' a gorgous car, meant to be driven!

62 Max

Quote from: billssuperbird on June 02, 2012, 08:55:27 PM
lake erie pa is having a mopar show june 3. with 40 percent chance rain. should i go. :brickwall: :shruggy:

Ain't gonna melt !!!   :scratchchin:

moparstuart

Quote from: 62 Max on June 02, 2012, 09:28:01 PM

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:   id go
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Arnie Cunningham

Drive it!  Rain?  No problem.  Tornados?  Put er to the floor and outrun the bastards.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

62BT409

Don't you have a portable garage? "enclosed trailer" Just dragged one of my cars to the Thompson Raceway for the last 3 days to let it sit in the trailer while it poured rain. Was going to drive the Demon to Albion tormorrow but....I am beat.

WINGIN IT

Sure, as long as you're not runnin' biasply tires.
Those are NOT fun in the rain/wet roads...  :rotz:

Ghoste

Yes.  Unless you are trying to keep it immaculate for concours style judging in which case you shouldn't be driving it anywhere.  If it were torrential downpour kind of rain you may want to avoid that too.
Honestly though, I fear the other drivers more than the elements in my old car.

62BT409

Raining now in that area and it is not looking good for the rest of the day.

Ghoste

Which brings up another aspect, will the show itself be lessened because of the rain?  Would that make it not worth the bother regardless of the drive?

62BT409

Just got off the phone with 4 others that we normally would make the 2 hr drive but find it not worth the trip to be in the rain. I just came back from a Shoot-Out about 35 mi west of Albion and it rained Thurs late until yesterday morning . Making that trip useless..........even the race guys couldn't run down the track.

hemi68charger

No window leaks? If not, then go... If so, then be prepared to soak up all the water and let it air out......   Our cars aren't spring chickens any more... I had a rear window leak, but I sealed it up and feel much better about the possibility of getting caught in the rain. Of course, I make sure I know if there's the potential of bad storms....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

held1823

never mind the thought of the car getting wet.

are you willing to stay drenched all day, to check out the few cars that show up, due to the weather?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

FJ5WING

getting caught in the rain is one thing but knowingly heading into foul weather is foolish. :Twocents:
wingless now, but still around.

pettybird

funny that I--driver guy--didn't go.  I have too much to do, though...looks like the weather's holding out fine!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: FJ5WING on June 03, 2012, 10:02:22 AM
getting caught in the rain is one thing but knowingly heading into foul weather is foolish. :Twocents:

True.

ACUDANUT

Also, can a 40 + year old car really stand much more rust, due to moisture. :scratchchin:

1966hemi

Arnie, I like the way you think!

mauve66

Quote from: 62 Max on June 02, 2012, 09:28:01 PM

might float though................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 03, 2012, 10:50:06 AM
Also, can a 40 + year old car really stand much more rust, due to moisture. :scratchchin:

That is a ligit statement. On a close inspection of my car there is a few seams with a small amount of rust "washing" out of them. My situation could be from up north where the car would sweat when the  temperature went from below freezing to well above and the car would be soaked inside and out. Not to mention it has been out in the rain quite a few times.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

billssuperbird

I DID IT. ME AND RAV440 WENT. IT RAINED ON THE WAY UP. AND I FOUND ALL MY WATER LEAKS. AND IT RAINED AT THE SHOW. I GOT FIRST PLACE IN MY CLASS :woohoo:. BUT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO MADE IT TO THE SHOW IN MY CLASS. THE LAKE ERIE TRI-STATE MOPAR CLUB PUT ON A GOOD SHOW :2thumbs:.WHEN THE SHOW WAS OVER THE SUN CAME OUT ALL THE WAY HOME. BUT IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME TO CLEAN THE CAR. :cheers: :pushup:

r4daytona

I would drive the car....oh wait you did!  Hey Bill great meeting you there today with Randy and VERY nice car!  For all those wondering, at least while we were there I didn't really rain. Anyway, just wanted to say great car and look forward to running into you again.  You should consider coming to the Marilla Auto Show in Marilla NY. My uncle started it years ago as a benefit for Mercy flight. Last year there were about 1,200 cars and 300 bikes.  All makes and models of cars.  Tom

hemi68charger

Quote from: billssuperbird on June 03, 2012, 07:23:54 PM
I DID IT. ME AND RAV440 WENT. IT RAINED ON THE WAY UP. AND I FOUND ALL MY WATER LEAKS. AND IT RAINED AT THE SHOW. I GOT FIRST PLACE IN MY CLASS :woohoo:. BUT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO MADE IT TO THE SHOW IN MY CLASS. THE LAKE ERIE TRI-STATE MOPAR CLUB PUT ON A GOOD SHOW :2thumbs:.WHEN THE SHOW WAS OVER THE SUN CAME OUT ALL THE WAY HOME. BUT IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME TO CLEAN THE CAR. :cheers: :pushup:

If you have an original style trunk mat, make sure there isn't any water/moisture on the mat.... Or you'll see the consequences later on.. The trick to driving the car in the rain/getting in the rain, is drying it out afterwards... The actual rain/water at the time isn't the problem, it's the moisture that stays there.. Sooooooo, just get her back inside, open all the windows and trunk (if it leaks back there) and let it dry.. A fan always helps if you don't have a dehumidifier in your garage........

Glad you had fun......... OK.......... Where are the pictures of the day !!??    :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

BigBlackDodge

....if you like pina coladas.....!

BBD :lol:

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE