News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So close, yet so far away...

Started by myk, May 29, 2012, 03:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Over the weekend I got to visit the Charger in body shop limbo, and although I was floored with how great the car looks so far I find myself having to deal with an issue I've ignored for a while now: where to park this thing.

Over the last 12 years the car has become sort of a neighborhood icon known as the "big orange car on whatever street," but I can only guess it's going to attract new attention when it comes home.

Being an apartment dweller I only have 2 choices: keep it covered outside and hope that no one notices that the faded orange has become glossy or find a garage to store it in. 

What do you guys without a garage do for parking/storage/security?  Do you keep it at home, covered, or do you have a garage somewhere?  I prefer to keep the car close to me-it's like a child at this point for all intents and purposes, but I can't be at home 24/7.  I like the idea of a garage for it, as it will keep it from the elements and offers better security, but I don't like the idea of leaving the car at a remote location on property that isn't immediately mine to control; who knows if you can trust the people who tend that land anyway.

Anyway, your stories, opinions and input are welcome as usual...

TheGhost

Rent a storage garage, and keep it there.  Preferably behind a couple heavy duty locks.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Aero426

If you have any type of classic car insurance, you really need to find a garage to keep it.   Aside from that, it is common sense to protect your investment.    Yes, the refurbished car will draw attention at your apartment. 

myk

I find myself actually thinking about owning a home for the first time in my life-that's how much this car means to me, if it meant that I could provide it with adequate protection while keeping it close.  Personally I'm so dead set against owning a home, though...

Troy

I won't even leave my old rusty ones outside. I've rented garages (actual garages, not storage spaces) for about the last 6 years. It sucks not having the cars at home but I'm glad they are safe and out of the elements. My current garage is exactly 5 miles from the house - and on the way to work and my parent's house - so it's not too terrible. I am lucky that there's plenty of cheap places for rent in my area. It may not be the same everywhere.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

myk

5 miles ain't too bad.  I'm looking at one that's about 3 miles out.  It's going to cost me anywhere from $150 to $200 a month.  Those TTi headers are going to take longer to save up for... :icon_smile_blackeye:

model maker

You will need to find a safe & secure place for it or you just may lose it or have it damaged. I don't like apartments as you have ALL kinds of different people living there OR HANGING OUT there :coolgleamA:.  if you have a car port that comes with your apt. then you have a non secure parking place that lets your charger become a play thing for all the kids to run & jump on or an open inventation for a sneaky tow truck to hook & book. If you have to park it on the street anywhere you can find, well thats even worse. If you want to own a valuable charger you need to PROTECT IT AT ALL TIMES PERIOD. get a secure storage garage that you AND ONLY YOU  have access to. I do not know how well you will sleep or be away at work after you have your charger complete, it is just too valuable to "just leave around" anywhere you can find. Look at all the guys on here who have had, or know someone who has had, THEIR CHARGER OR OTHER VALUABLE, CAR STOLEN. The best of luck to you and i sure hope you find a safe solution ! what about close family members who may have room to rent to park your charger ! :2thumbs:
Bert
MODEL MAKER

Troy

Quote from: myk on May 29, 2012, 04:44:58 PM
5 miles ain't too bad.  I'm looking at one that's about 3 miles out.  It's going to cost me anywhere from $150 to $200 a month.  Those TTi headers are going to take longer to save up for... :icon_smile_blackeye:
For a single car? Are they heated or have electricity? That's expensive for my area. I can usually find garages for about $50-90 per car. Check the local paper to see if anyone is renting out the garage at their rental house (or their own house). They won't likely let you work on the car there - only store it. You could do what I did and find some commercial property in an area of town where there are more buildings than businesses. You can probably find enough space to store all of your cars for less than what it would cost to get a 10'x20' storage area for each. Mine has heat, water, and 220 electric.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Aero426

Quote from: myk on May 29, 2012, 04:00:45 PM
I find myself actually thinking about owning a home for the first time in my life-that's how much this car means to me, if it meant that I could provide it with adequate protection while keeping it close.  Personally I'm so dead set against owning a home, though...

While it is another topic all on its own, it is a great time to buy a home.   Prices are adjusted down and interest rates are ridiculously low.    This situation will not last forever.

Aero426

Also, call around to your local assisted living places with garage parking to see if they have an available parking spot to rent month to month.   I did this when I built my garage and was short two spots.   

myk

Wow, lotsa good ideas guys, thanks.  Family is out of the question because they're all dead.  

As for the high rent, that's California for you.   :RantExplode:  I haven't seen this garage yet, but how much you wanna bet that the Charger's too fat to fit in it.

I've had nothing but recurring nightmares about my cars and how vulnerable they are out in the open since my mom passed on and I was forced to start living on my own in apartments.  I would be lying if I said I didn't look in the rearview mirror as I drive away from the car as it sits in my parking spot.

I like that idea about the assisted living places though; not to be mean but I'm sure at least 1/2 of those souls don't have cars occupying car spots...

RECHRGD

If you go the storage space route, be sure that the facility is completely fenced and topped with barbed wire.  Also a code to enter is a must and preferrably tied to the unit number itself.  Otherwise someone who has a code to get into their space could cut your lock without setting off the alarm.
I only use my space during the summer cruise months and bring the car home to my shop in the winter.  Cold moist winter weather in an unheated space is rust heaven.  You may not have that problem, depending where you are in Ca..    Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

NHCharger

Do you have collectors insurance or regular insurance? any agreed value?
If you have an agreed value there is probably a clause stating your Charger must be secured when not in use.
I've heard way too many stories of cars with brand new paint jobs getting keyed or worse.
Unfortunately this is the sad part of our hobby. Protecting our investments from people that feel that they are owed a living, and have no problem inflicting damage to our cars to show us "rich folks" that they are the man.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

myk

Yeah.  The body shop told me that if I keep the car outside in the elements that I'd be painting this thing again in about 10 years.  I don't want to go through this body shop hell again.  

What's most likely to happen is that the garage I end up renting will be a unit attached to another building, or something.  Again, I want exclusive access to the garage but who knows what I'm going to find when I actually get out there.

As for jealousy and malice against us, I will never forget the time when I first got the Charger: I was just out of high school, working my first job, and the car had just been painted and upholstered by the previous owner-there wasn't a mark anywhere on it.  A bunch of guys pulled up to me at a light, ask me if I owned the car, to which I said yes, and they replied by telling me that I should be killed for being lucky enough to own it.  I don't know about you guys, but when someone comes up and I can see that they've worked hard enough to achieve something I applaud them for it, I don't project my inadequacies on them and wish them dead... ::)

mauve66

just locked my 30 yr loan rate at 3.375 %, assuming they get the loan done in 30 days..................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Plum Crazy 68

Leave SD and move to the next County to the North.  Buy a daily driver, commute (Car Pool), and know that your Charger is safe in a nice garage.  I speak from experience.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Check your local craigslist under "parking" and look for a spare space w/ easy access  :Twocents:

hemi68charger

When I lived in a garage apartment (owner of the house has use of the garage under me), I put my Charger(s) in storage. You are either asking for trouble or the weather is get to it. Believe me, if you find a decent place to put it, it'll give you peace of mind...... granted, it may not be the most convenient, but it'll be the best.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

HeavyFuel

Quote from: myk on May 29, 2012, 04:00:45 PM

Why are you against owning?

bakerhillpins

Like others I wonder why you find a house such a bad idea, but aside from that you can find apts/condos/etc that include a private garage.  They are out there. My father owns a duplex with a 2 car garage under each unit.  He lives on one side and rents the other.

I store mine in my barn/garage during the summer months and rent warehouse space in winter.

Good luck.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Fred

To be honest, I couldn't sleep at night if the car wasn't in my own back yard.  :rotz:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

myk

Quote from: Plum Crazy 68 on May 30, 2012, 10:58:49 AM
Leave SD and move to the next County to the North.  Buy a daily driver, commute (Car Pool), and know that your Charger is safe in a nice garage.  I speak from experience.

You mean Temecula, Murrieta, places like that?  I'd rather not.  Call me a Road-wimp but the idea of having to commute more than I really have to isn't acceptable.

Quote from: HeavyFuel on May 30, 2012, 02:13:54 PM

Why are you against owning?

It's just not right for "ME."  For everyone else it's the smartest thing to do with their money.  The idea of being tethered to a contract that spans 15 years or more is out of the question.  Hell I'm so against financial contracts and obligations that I won't even go for a car loan, finance a t.v. at Best Buy or even get locked into a cell phone plan.  Besides, I might want to just pick up and move whenever I feel like, and that would be difficult to do if I had to get out of a mortgage, especially if there wasn't any equity yet.  Most importantly, on my salary I absolutely CANNOT afford a house and unlike a lot of people, some of which are my closest friends, I won't buy into something that I genuinely can't afford.  For example I have a friend who lives on Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches and water just about every day, because he's so strapped by his mortgage; to me that's not living, and with my salary that's what I'd be doing.

Quote from: Fred on May 31, 2012, 12:18:46 AM
To be honest, I couldn't sleep at night if the car wasn't in my own back yard.  :rotz:

I absolutely agree, which is why the idea of renting out a garage that isn't immediately accessible pains me but...I want to win the war on rust and quite frankly I don't trust people anymore...

Brock Lee

I use storage places when I have excess cars. There is a nice, new one by my house. Fenced, code access, and security cameras at the entrance and 3 on each row of units. $100 a month. In a rural area that price is likely lower.

Nickrc3

Quote from: Brock Lee on June 01, 2012, 05:54:21 AM
I use storage places when I have excess cars. There is a nice, new one by my house. Fenced, code access, and security cameras at the entrance and 3 on each row of units. $100 a month. In a rural area that price is likely lower.

I pay $140.00 monthly for similar storage facility in Miami. Its 10 'x 20'. A bit tight, but only 2 miles from the house and very secure.
My other Charger will be going into a temporary garage (local code restrictions) until I begin the restoration.

Brightyellow69rtse

outside storage should be absolutely out of the question. the 3 3/8% on a 30year loan is killer imo.