News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has anyone ever successfully "found" a Charger from a "wanted" ad?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, May 27, 2012, 12:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

With all the 1968, 1969, and 1970 Charger "Wanted" ads listed here (and elsewhere), I was wondering if anyone actually had success with a "wanted" ad  :popcrn:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/board,8.0.html

What are your stories?  :scratchchin:

StoneCold

I did... well someone on Moparts pointed me to a for sale ad that sounded what I was looking for.

Here's the post I made on this board with pics.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,73441.0.html

Essentially I had found a '68 R/T 4 speed car in the late 80s with plans to bring it back to life. But, life got in the way and I removed myself from the hobby all together selling the Charger, my '70 Challenger and a host of parts and parts cars.  This stuff tends to sit in your blood forever so that time period was always in the back of my mind. I would go to car shows now and again, read online about them and even bought a new Challenger R/T.

Twenty years after selling the Charger, I stumbled across this board and Moparts and posted my "looking for" inquiry thinking that maybe someone knew of the car, albeit a long shot. I was thinking that perhaps it had been restored by now since I felt it was worthy of restoration. Well the for sale ad I was pointed to still had me wondering if it was the same car...body was all done and in primer. I didn't have the vin info, but looking closely at some interior shots and comparing them to pics I took back in the day, there were some markings where paint had rubbed off on the dash and console tops that were identical to my old pics.  This was the same car.  I kept all the pictures they posted on the ad and had in a photobucket account.

I had emailed the owner to share the info, but never got a response back about my findings. The car eventually was removed from Kijiji. Hopefully someone will finish the project some day and bring it out to a few big shows I attend in the summer in Ontario.  :cheers:

Mytur Binsdirti

jaak

***EDIT*** I thought you meant for sale ad..not wanted ad.

Only time I placed a wanted ad for a 69 Charger I got calls about...a 70 Satellite, a '72 Roadrunner, '73 Charger, and a guy wanting to know if I had tail lights for a '66 Fury. No calls/responses for a 69 Charger.

Jason

Daytona R/T SE

I've answered a few of those "I need a Charger" ads...

Either they don't have any money....

Or they want me to take their mom's Pontiac in trade...

Or they want to come over and test drive it...(even when I tell them it doesn't run)....

Or...they have to ask their wife first...

Or...will you take payments...

Or...will you hold it for me until I get my settlement...

Or...you say it's a 40+ year old project car... What do you mean "It needs work!!??"

Or...will you deliver it for free 3000 miles away???

Or... "You're crazy! That's too much money! I can't afford that!

Well...if you can't pay for the car...How do you plan to pay for

all the work a project car requires?...

And so...

they sit...

And sit...

And sit some more...

69Charger_440

In 2005, I placed a "Wanted" ad in the San Antonio Express-News (San Antonio, Texas) and got a reply within two days, if I remember correctly.  It was from a gentleman selling a '69 RT/SE.  Yes, I bought it.   :icon_smile_big:

I haven't done much to it since.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:

However, I vow not to become one of those dreamers that say, "I'm gonna fix it one of these days."   :icon_smile_cool:  I just need to take care of other things first before I start dumping money into it.

bull

This probably doesn't count but I have a coworker who always encouraged me to place a CL wanted ad because he found a 67 fastback Mustang pretty quick that way. The reason I didn't try it though is because we've got a local Charger flipper who posts want ads about three times a week and I didn't want to be confused for him. Instead I just tapped into the local network by word of mouth and put it out there that I was looking for one, which worked out well. Of course I screwed around and got frustrated with a national search for several months before doing this.

Dino

I placed an ad on the local CL after a long time of looking.  It took a while but one Friday afternoon I got a response and it turned out to be the car that I wanted and so much more.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

NHCharger

Kind of. I looked at a 68 Charger in CT in Jan. 2011. I posted some pics in the thread below asking for some input since I'm a newbie at 2nd gens and it's always good to have a second opinion. I ended up passing on the car but two board members who saw the thread contacted me saying their 68's were up for sale. One was about to list his on the board and ebay. Ended up buying one that was 45 minutes from my house.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,77098.msg866207.html#msg866207
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

EccentricMagpies

Quote from: jaak on May 27, 2012, 02:53:51 PM
Only time I placed a wanted ad for a 69 Charger I got calls about... and a guy wanting to know if I had tail lights for a '66 Fury....

Jason

:smilielol: :smilielol:
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

Finoke

I found my 70 Challenger Convertible with a want ad. I was posting want ads occasionally for 3 or 4 years. I would get responses but usually from flippers. Then finally I got a response from a long time owner. I ended up getting a nice car for a fair price  :2thumbs:

Bob T

Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Chargerguy74

When I was 16 I placed a wanted ad in the local bargain finder in hopes of finding a 4 speed Charger like my dad had when he was that age. Thanks to that ad I found my dad's old Charger, and eventually bought it.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Tilar

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on June 09, 2012, 05:45:56 AM
When I was 16 I placed a wanted ad in the local bargain finder in hopes of finding a 4 speed Charger like my dad had when he was that age. Thanks to that ad I found my dad's old Charger, and eventually bought it.

Wow, That's pretty cool.  :2thumbs:  What are the chances of that happening...
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Tilar on June 09, 2012, 06:06:20 AM
Quote from: Chargerguy74 on June 09, 2012, 05:45:56 AM

Wow, That's pretty cool.  :2thumbs:  What are the chances of that happening...

Wow!! That is pretty wild!  :coolgleamA:

Supercharged Riot

I DID!  back in 2009

I gave up looking at for sale ads, so I decided to do something different.
I posted a Want to Buy Ad
Gave out my wager (price willing to pay)
and let the people come to me instead.

Seller found me and took the time for me to take a plane flight over, went over the car the entire day
Nice folks
made an agreement to deliver the car to California

and i scored this below:

norwayjuniorcharger

supercharged riot, was ur car in that condition when u bought it and how much did u give for it ?

Supercharged Riot

Pretty much yeah.
Still needs work
Technically the engine was still installed when i bought it

norwayjuniorcharger

What was the price u paid for it trying to learn what difrent chargers cost since i dont have my own

Kern Dog

How long ago still qualifies?
In March of 2000 I was trying to buy a 68 Charger from a guy. He had taken a deposit from a relative a few years prior and out of family obligation, he kept giving the deadbeat multiple chances to finish paying. It was a 383 2 barrel with nice original paint, but the interior was thrashed. He wanted $2500. I got tired of him stalling, so I looked elsewhere.
The Sacramento Bee classified ads, customs & classics section had the listing: 1970 Charger 500 V8 A/t p/s interior 80% restored, $2500. I called the number immediately. NO answer! :eek2:
Two days go by, then the ad price changed to $1900. I called again, this time the guy answered. He was out of town and didn't have an answering machine! He was moving to LA and had 2 cars... He chose to KEEP a 74 Mercury Cougar! This was Wednesday. He said he would be back in town Saturday. Now I gotta chew on this whole thing 3 days!!
Saturday rolls around and I'm at his place exactly at the time I promised. I brought along a bodywork pal to assess what I might have missed. I drove around the block. It felt tighter than any old Mopar that I'd ever driven. The 318 had a ticking lifter that quieted down after 10 minutes. 4 wheel drum brakes actually stopped okay. The 904 was rebuilt a few years prior and had a mild chirp under full throttle. The owner was hung over from a party the night before, so he quickly agreed to my $1700 offer. I had a running, driving, registered 70 Charger for $1700. THOSE are the good old days!

elanmars

I tried doing that here and on moparts but I mostly got emails about other cars or rough projects, though I had specifically put on all my ads that I don't want rusty cars/major projects and something running and complete, maybe needing a bit of work, nothing perfect, no show car or anything of the sort...

my current car IS a bit of a project, needing floors and trunk floor replaced, lower rear fenders work, ac to be redone, some wiring, carb rebuild...but at least it's pretty complete and a good place to start. I got so many "offers" of cars that had a lot of stuff missing, tons of work needing to be done to them, for pretty high prices. as if it was still 2007.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

BananaDan

I did.  I bought my car off of an ad on AutoTrader.com back in 1998.  The car was in Ottawa.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

bill440rt

I didn't place a wanted "ad", but I did get the word out to close friends that I was looking for another project. Found my '69 literally 15 minutes from my house!  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Surf Charger

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on May 27, 2012, 12:10:39 PM
With all the 1968, 1969, and 1970 Charger "Wanted" ads listed here (and elsewhere), I was wondering if anyone actually had success with a "wanted" ad  :popcrn:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/board,8.0.html

What are your stories?  :scratchchin:

Well I put up a want ad for 69 A/C parts on my local craigslist and got a '69 R/T SE parts car for $1500 instead. Local guy had it sitting for 21 years. Everything was there minus the front seats and door cards.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

FWIW, it worked for me, although I had actually "found" the car on another site, but it was also posted for sale here  :2thumbs: