News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Update: ANSWERED Any Experts 2010 Challengers? Need Tech Info.

Started by 68X426, May 25, 2012, 01:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68X426

I'm looking at buying a 2010 Challenger from out of state. I'm in California, and several potential purchases are in the Atlantic and Southern states. Question: were the 6.1 Hemis in 2010 Challengers legal in all 50 states, or was there a CA only Hemi Challenger and then a 49-state legal Hemi Challenger?

CA has tight ass regulations on engines (CARB rules). For decades the auto companies made a CA model, and then the 49 state model. Did Dodge have to do this in 2010? If I buy an out-of-state Challenger will there be problems getting smogged and titled in CA?

I have talked to out-of-state dealers (sellers) and they don't know, my DMV can't say (surprise), and I can't find this info on-line at Dodge.com or at Challenger forums.

Any one know something?

Thanks, Dan.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Rolling_Thunder

while not 100% sure - I am about 98% sure that the 2010 Dodge Challenger is a 50 state legal vehicle. There is no listing for CA or 49 state emissions anywhere about them on the web including parts houses that sell the emissions equipment.

I'd say you're good to go.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ponch ®

Quote from: 68X426 on May 25, 2012, 01:08:14 PM
I'm looking at buying a 2010 Challenger from out of state. I'm in California, and several potential purchases are in the Atlantic and Southern states. Question: were the 6.1 Hemis in 2010 Challengers legal in all 50 states, or was there a CA only Hemi Challenger and then a 49-state legal Hemi Challenger?

CA has tight ass regulations on engines (CARB rules). For decades the auto companies made a CA model, and then the 49 state model. Did Dodge have to do this in 2010? If I buy an out-of-state Challenger will there be problems getting smogged and titled in CA?

I have talked to out-of-state dealers (sellers) and they don't know, my DMV can't say (surprise), and I can't find this info on-line at Dodge.com or at Challenger forums.

Any one know something?

Thanks, Dan.

I'm pretty sure they're all 50 state legal. I know quite a few people that bought out of state Challengers and brought them to CA and have had no problems registering them . That being said, most of those won't need to be smogged for a couple more years, so I don't know about that part.

If you want to be 100%, go to http://socalchallengers.com/ and shoot them an e-mail. Dave is their club president and always happy to help. Tell 'em Ponch sent ya  ;)

Was the Challenger forum you looked at challengertalk.com? If not, I'd suggest opening up an account there and asking in the California forum.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

68X426

Thanks for the lead Ponch.  :2thumbs: I'll contact Dave.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

68X426

Any one who works at a dealership, or sells them out there with info?

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Mytur Binsdirti

404NOTFOUND

I used to have one and was heavily involved in a forum dedicated to those cars. I live near the factory that built them and have been there several times. I know people who work there. I have also met the chief designer of the car. He mentioned how the car had to be certified for all 50 states. I have never heard anyone ever speak of a California emissions version. I am virtually certain there is no such thing.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

ChgrSteve67

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/buy-sell/buying-selling-faqs.php

Maybe this helps,
I knew there was a minimum number of miles needed to bring it in to the state as a used car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Is there anything special I must know if I am thinking about buying a vehicle from another state?
First of all, the vehicle must be certified to meet California's more stringent smog laws before it can be registered. Many vehicles are only certified to meet lesser federal emission standards, called "49-State" certified. Vehicles smog certified to California standards are referred to as "50-State" certified.

If you decide to buy a vehicle from out-of-state, keep in mind that it will be considered new if it has less than 7,500 miles, and will be subject to the pertinent registration requirements for a new vehicle.

A new vehicle that does not meet California emission standards cannot be registered in California unless it is exempt. The vehicle will be considered exempt if:

Its ownership arose out of an inheritance or divorce settlement.It was purchased in order to replace your California vehicle that was stolen while you were using it out-of-state.It was purchased in order to replace your California vehicle that was destroyed or rendered inoperative while being used out-of-state.It was acquired while on active military duty outside California and registered in the last state of military service.For more information on out-of-state vehicle purchases issues look to:

The Department of Motor Vehicles Technical Compliance Section at (916) 657-6795The Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) at (800) 952-5210 (smog emissions information).The California Air Resources Board (ARB) at helpline@arb.ca.gov or (800) 242-4450.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm pretty sure they are but I would call Chrysler to see if they are 50 state legal.
1-800-247-9753
(1-800-CHRYSLER)
M-F 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM ET
SAT/SUN 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM ET

Last note:
You may need the vehicles VIN on order for Dodge to tell you if its 50 state or not.

ChgrSteve67

68X426

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: Thanks Steve. Great links, I had never come across those SRT sites. I will follow up with the SRT Team.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

KWS

I'm 99.9% sure all the cars they build now are 50 state legal.

ChgrSteve67

I would guess the same thing but as you know with CA if there is a slight chance it may not be you will loose your mind dealing with the DMV.  The SRT Team should know if they built every SRT to be 50 state legal or if there were ones that were only 49 state.  Better safe than sorry when it comes to CA car laws.

Dan I would also ask them if every year was 50 state or not or if there were only certain years 50 state legal or not.

68X426

Talked with the SRT Team today. The answer is that all models and all engines, for all years, were/are built 50-state compliant. No more California only engines.

The issue of legal aftermarket parts remains of course. If a supercharger or exhaust for example are added to an out-of-state Challenger, it is very likely not legal in California unless the part is CARB certified.

Thanks everyone, Dan.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow