News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fan not coming on while A/C is on normal operation

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, May 24, 2012, 09:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

I got my A/C blowing nice and cold 42* while on Max A/C and fan on high, but when I switch the AC to normal operation my fan turns off. I guess there is a switch somewhere that may have failed or perhaps my push buttoms on my dash for the AC may be not switching the fan properly...I don't know. This did not happen last Summer. Does anyone have any ideas about where to start the hunt for this problem?

Thanks,

Fred

Check your air conditioner and heater blower motor resistor. More than likely the cause.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

billschroeder5842

How did you get 42?!?!

I have a stock system and did a 134 conversion and the best I can get is 60

Any ideas?
Texas Proud!

Rolling_Thunder

fan resistor probably has a broken fillament on the normal speed pin    :Twocents:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on May 25, 2012, 12:17:19 PM
How did you get 42?!?!

I have a stock system and did a 134 conversion and the best I can get is 60

Any ideas?
I have been told that the 134 systems just dont blow as cold as the R12, but I don't know for sure. I just charged my system with R12 and that was the result.

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 25, 2012, 02:42:48 PM
fan resistor probably has a broken fillament on the normal speed pin    :Twocents:

Thanks, where is this resistor located?

Rolling_Thunder

should be on the front of the A/C box with wires going to it - it is held on by two small hex head screws...    unplug the wires, undo the screws and it should pull straight out -
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Sixt8Chrgr

A383Wing

I gots some good AC resistors here if needed

Bryan

Sixt8Chrgr

I am going to try and find that resistor so I may need to get one from you. Thanks for the offer.

Sixt8Chrgr

Is this the fan resistor?

FLG

Nope

Its the item in the top left of this picture on the box, with the metal prongs coming out of it

Sixt8Chrgr

Got it....thanks. If this resistor is bad would it cause the fuse to keep blowing when I turn the A/C on? My earlier problem is in the subject line. Now I am just blowing fuses.

Thanks again.

Fred

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on May 28, 2012, 08:21:43 PM
Got it....thanks. If this resistor is bad would it cause the fuse to keep blowing when I turn the A/C on? My earlier problem is in the subject line. Now I am just blowing fuses.

Thanks again.

Yes it will.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

FLG

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on May 28, 2012, 08:21:43 PM

Thanks again.

Its a possibility, but try cleaning it first...worst case is you still need a new one.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,70039.0.html

Sixt8Chrgr

Thanks I will clean it up and see what happens. I will use the Balsamic Vinegar and Salt...

Sixt8Chrgr

I got to the fan motor resistor, broke the tan plate in the process is it now shot for sure? In any case the resitor itself looked good and clean no dust bunnies or the sort. The leads going into the resistor all looked good. If I did not ruin the resistor by breaking the tan plate is there some other place to look for the cause that I now keep blowing the 20 amp A/C fuse when I swithch the fan on? The fuse does not blow when I turn the A/C on just when I turn the fan on.

Where can I buy these fan motor resistors?

Thanks