News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Factory 69 Charger disc brakes

Started by XS29LA47V21, May 23, 2012, 08:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29LA47V21

I have a early 69 (sept bld) with factory disc brakes, some 10-15 yrs ago had a local shop rebuild the calipers with less than desirable results and was crazy expensive at the time.

Who is the best nationally to rebuild the calipers or buy re-mans or ....new if available.  They are the split style made by Kelsey Hayes (I think that is the manuf.)

Any advise for re-installation for good long term operations on the lousy design?  Would you put any additional gasket high temp silicone just outside the O-ring where they mate up?

Ghoste

The four piston setups were notorious for getting corrosion in the bores and then having the pistons hang up.  A good rebuilder will sleeve the bores for you rather than just change the seals.  Don't know if they did that for you before or not, you said crazy expensive so it makes me think they might have.  Don't know who the best is nationally to rebuild them but as to remans, I would be surprised if you can find them.
What is the specific problem you are having with them?

resq302

I highly doubt that high temp silicone will work on the rubber boot or any area where brake fluid is involved.  If you are looking for longevity, I would get them stainless steel sleeved and then rebuilt.  I would also flush out the brake fluid at least every other year to remove any moisture from the system to help prevent any rust from forming in the lines or bores.

As for who is the best quality rebuilder....I  don't know.  I do know that I would never ever use Apple Hydraulics again who is out of NY state.

Also, chances are they are a Bendix caliper unless someone has changed out the brake system in your car.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

gtx6970

Only source for them done that I am aware of, cores are required though.

I do not know quality or if they are sleeved or not, so ask first
www.calipersonline.com

bill440rt

I believe Master Power offers are rebuilding/sleeve service. SSBC also did many years ago, not sure if they still do.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Ive heard good things about White Post Restorations.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: bill440rt on May 23, 2012, 01:03:06 PM
I believe Master Power offers are rebuilding/sleeve service. SSBC also did many years ago, not sure if they still do.

It my memory serves to fail me well I recall with a core it was like 350./each and the local place (to me) did not tell me until I was picking them up that they shipped them out west, seem to think it may have been master power, never got much drive time on those, it is just on of those spots I would like to do right and once....

So what is the visible differences between the bendix and kelsey hayse pcs? 

Thanks for the ideas. :2thumbs:

maxwellwedge

Here are some original 69's...

maxwellwedge

Couple of more pics..

gtx6970

while the subject is at hand.

The brackets to attach the steel lines is now avail as well

maxwellwedge

Great Bill - How do they compare to an original?

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: maxwellwedge on May 24, 2012, 09:17:06 AM
Great Bill - How do they compare to an original?

:2thumbs:  compared to my originals no where near as rust pitted.... :lol: :eek2:  Thanks, did not know they were available.

resq302

or missing!  I had to fabricate one up using a paper template from the one side I had and then mirror image it making the other side.
Brian

XS29LA47V21

here are my crusty pcs.  noticed the ones above are orange, but original from the factory they would have been left bare cast correct?

resq302

yes, calipers were left bare cast iron and not painted.
Brian

69 OUR/TEA

Those are Bendix not Kelsey.Also,had mine done a year or so ago by King Kalipers out of Mass,think they were around $165.00 each.The quote from White post was at $300 something each.Found King Kaliper real reasonable for doing the same job.They did bore mine out and install SS sleeves.Quick turn around also.

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on May 30, 2012, 07:33:23 AM
Those are Bendix not Kelsey.Also,had mine done a year or so ago by King Kalipers out of Mass,think they were around $165.00 each.The quote from White post was at $300 something each.Found King Kaliper real reasonable for doing the same job.They did bore mine out and install SS sleeves.Quick turn around also.

Cool, thanks guys.

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  Thats really funny, I have been calling them the wrong manufacture for about 25yr    I am aligned.   :2thumbs: