News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Started my new Dirty Mary Crazy Larry Replica

Started by 404NOTFOUND, May 21, 2012, 08:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

65post

If the NO FAULT Ontario Companies work like they do here in Quebec you can probably buy your car back from the Ins. company if they do want to scrap it and you want to keep it and repair it.You will not get the full amount of $$$ but you will get to keep your car and have some $$$ to play with.

GO DMCL.....
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

AirborneSilva

Quote from: 65post on May 23, 2012, 11:49:43 AM
If the NO FAULT Ontario Companies work like they do here in Quebec you can probably buy your car back from the Ins. company if they do want to scrap it and you want to keep it and repair it.You will not get the full amount of $$$ but you will get to keep your car and have some $$$ to play with.

GO DMCL.....

I'm sure he can buy back the car but then he will also have a "salvaged" title.

1BAD68

Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on May 23, 2012, 09:24:33 AM
White is nice too but, not for me.

Really?
You don't see many in white but it's awesome

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: AirborneSilva on May 23, 2012, 11:53:12 AM
Quote from: 65post on May 23, 2012, 11:49:43 AM

GO DMCL.....

I'm sure he can buy back the car but then he will also have a "salvaged" title.

A salvaged title to someone like 404 who isn't lookin to flip it I don't think it really matters. An insurance company in QC will right off a car if its stolen for more than 30 days even if recovered on the 31st day and untouched. Most restored cars are reskinned anyway, so i don't see much difference in whether it was rotted or racked same difference on an old car. A newer car well thats a different story. I've bought a salvaged car before that was a theft recovery. As long as you look it over to make sure it wasn't something where it was wrecked and 2 cars joined into 1.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: 1BAD68 on May 23, 2012, 11:59:31 AM
Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on May 23, 2012, 09:24:33 AM
White is nice too but, not for me.

Really?
You don't see many in white but it's awesome

that car looks familiar...      :rofl:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

AirborneSilva

QuoteA salvaged title to someone like 404 who isn't lookin to flip it I don't think it really matters.

I'm sure you are right, if I was in his position I know I would still want to buy it back  :yesnod:

bill440rt

UUUGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :faint:

I kinda skimmed over the title of this thread at first, not knowing what was inside.
So sorry to see this. That car is beautiful. Your positive attitude is certainly commendable. I wish you lots of luck & strength in repairing it. Hope everything works out for you.

:scope:  I must say though, judging by the pictures you've posted it is a good indicator that there is inherent frame rail damage. Once the shop takes it apart it will reveal all hidden damages, I hope they are minimal.
Good luck!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

404NOTFOUND

Thanks again everyone for the interest and support. It does give me strength to get my car back off the ground. I am talking to a top notch mopar specialty shop. I don't want to post too many insurance details or shop info on a public forum until the deal is settled. I really do believe this car is easily repairable and will be even better than before. As for things like salvage titles and such, none of that bothers me. The car is a keeper. It's my damage and I know the history. Every piece of metal from the firewall back on this Texas car is original and clean as new inside and out. That's getting to be hard to find. I did think about whether I should get some other kind of car but the answer is clear. A '69 Charger is me. There can be no other model or even year. I still think it will have to be a DMCL car. I was talking about that long before the crash. Funny how my wife didn't like citron yella colour when I had to pay for it all. Suddenly she loves the colour, hmmm. As for the offer of slot mags for steelies, thanks but yes, I need 15".
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

AirborneSilva

Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on May 23, 2012, 01:16:32 PM
Thanks again everyone for the interest and support. It does give me strength to get my car back off the ground. I am talking to a top notch specialty shop. I don't want to post too many insurance details or shop info on a public forum until the deal is settled. I really do believe this car is easily repairable and will be even better than before. As for things like salvage titles and such, none of that bothers me. The car is a keeper. It's my damage and I know the history. Every piece of metal from the firewall back on this Texas car is original and clean as new inside and out. That's getting to be hard to find. I did think about whether I should get some other kind of car but the answer is clear. A '69 Charger is me. There can be no other model or even year. I still think it will have to be a DMCL car. I was talking about that long before the crash. Funny how my wife didn't like citron yella colour when I had to pay for it all. Suddenly she loves the colour, hmmm. As for the offer of slot mags for steelies but yes, I need 15".

:2thumbs:

charger_fan_4ever

In the last pic it looks like the passengers wheel is back further in the hole. Is it just the fender mangling or is the whole shock tower pushed back ?

Looks like the door is out of align too. Wonder what moved ?

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on May 23, 2012, 01:39:36 PM
In the last pic it looks like the passengers wheel is back further in the hole. Is it just the fender mangling or is the whole shock tower pushed back ?

Looks like the door is out of align too. Wonder what moved ?

In that pic, the fender is pushing on the tire. The firemen later tried to beat the metal back with a sledge hammer with limited success to assist the tow truck driver. The door is ajar because I tried to open it and then realized the fender was touching. I couldn't close it easily like that especially at a time like that while I have cops, firemen and ambulance crews all wanting something from me so, I just left it hanging. BTW. I'm sure most of you wear your seat belts but I bet a few of you don't especially when the cops can't spot your lap belts. Have a look at the crash photos. I'm living, walking proof that seatbelts save. Remember what you saw in the movie DMCL. "What did that billboard say"?

hemi-hampton

Bummer. I'd guess best way to fix would be remove both frame rails with both inner fenders & Radiator core support all together in one piece from Donor car. Bolt on new parts (fenders, ect) & suspension & you'll be fine. Good luck. LEON.

65post

Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 23, 2012, 02:55:24 PM
Bummer. I'd guess best way to fix would be remove both frame rails with both inner fenders & Radiator core support all together in one piece from Donor car. Bolt on new parts (fenders, ect) & suspension & you'll be fine. Good luck. LEON.

Patronus

Ive been in a few love taps.. I always try to clear traffic, see if everyone's ok, you know.. calm in a crisis kinda guy... but if that was my car you'd have to pull me off her.. :flame:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: Patronus on May 23, 2012, 06:10:05 PM
Ive been in a few love taps.. I always try to clear traffic, see if everyone's ok, you know.. calm in a crisis kinda guy... but if that was my car you'd have to pull me off her.. :flame:

Well, 30 years ago that probably would have been me too but as I've gotten older I've realized that stuff happens and if you have something nice, it's gonna get damaged or stolen somehow. I poked around under the hood and under the car tonight to check for damage. It's much worse than I thought. The front frame is bent and even kinked. The K member is badly bent and smashed. The inner fender is torn apart and has crushed the headers. The firewall might be slightly caved in at the bottom. The front wheel is pushed back about a foot along with all the suspension. The center link has also crushed the headers at the bottom. Here is a more complete pic that shows how much it is pushed back. Can you believe I walked away from this?

Patronus

I think most of us could learn something from you.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 65post on May 23, 2012, 05:50:49 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on May 23, 2012, 02:55:24 PM

Yep. I also agree 100 %
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

GordonGriggs

Sorry about your accident. I really hope you fix it.  Stories like this make me want to pull the tags and insurance off of my charger's and keep them in the garage.

Dino

404 disregard my post on the grilles, I had a brain fart and though you had a 68 for a minute, my bad.

Nothing in front of the firewall should remain, it has to go, all of it.  Get a new front clip and all new suspension, k member, the works.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: Dino on May 24, 2012, 07:46:03 AM
404 disregard my post on the grilles, I had a brain fart and though you had a 68 for a minute, my bad.

Nothing in front of the firewall should remain, it has to go, all of it.  Get a new front clip and all new suspension, k member, the works.

As long as things work out with the insurance, all will be well. I found an incredible shop that does amazing work. They say they can fix anything and Mopar muclecars are all they work on. More info on them later.

AirborneSilva

Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on May 24, 2012, 09:00:26 AM
Quote from: Dino on May 24, 2012, 07:46:03 AM

As long as things work out with the insurance, all will be well. I found an incredible shop that does amazing work. They say they can fix anything and Mopar muclecars are all they work on. More info on them later.

that's awesome  :2thumbs:

GOTWING

Bring it to Hodges Mopar restorations, it will look better then new and be correct. Check out the site

65post

Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on May 23, 2012, 08:31:09 PM
Quote from: Patronus on May 23, 2012, 06:10:05 PM

Well, 30 years ago that probably would have been me too but as I've gotten older I've realized that stuff happens and if you have something nice, it's gonna get damaged or stolen somehow. I poked around under the hood and under the car tonight to check for damage. It's much worse than I thought. The front frame is bent and even kinked. The K member is badly bent and smashed. The inner fender is torn apart and has crushed the headers. The firewall might be slightly caved in at the bottom. The front wheel is pushed back about a foot along with all the suspension. The center link has also crushed the headers at the bottom. Here is a more complete pic that shows how much it is pushed back. Can you believe I walked away from this?
I guess that means that the old UNIBODY mopars do better in crash tests than the OTHERS.......

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: Patronus on May 23, 2012, 09:05:58 PM
I think most of us could learn something from you.

You betcha. I don't want to lecture people but, I feel it is my duty to show everyone what even a simple lap belt can do as I am now solid proof of that. Here's a pic from DMCL.

Yes, look at how the old Mopar unibody performed. Today, they talk about controlled crumple zones and cabin preservation. Looks like Chrysler got it right a long time ago.

Chryco Psycho

I too didn't open this thread .
Ugg
All the best in getting the car back in top shape , I am glad you walked away as well .