News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

buying parts, whats the safest way?

Started by 69 rt, January 30, 2006, 06:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 rt

I am thinking of buying a hood from a guy in Alabama, he sent pictures of what I think is a decent hood, and he might be a great guy, but I don't know him from Adam. I need to send him several hundreds of dollars. Is it reasonable to ask him to ship C.O.D. or do I just trust him and send a money order, or are there other options? I have heard horror stories.

Thanks
69 rt

terrible one

I would suggest posting pics to let some of the other guys here check it out, as I did with my car.

However, keep in mind that if you send a Money Order there is proof, and I always send money order directly from the post office.

jaak

69 RT,
where abouts in Bama is it, I live in Northwest Alabama, (Florence Area) and Travel about an Hour and a Half south to work everyday (Red Bay).  If Its anywhere in that area (or anywhere close I can go to this weekend) I can go take a look for you, If thats ok with you and seller.
Just let me know where he is located.

Jason

Telvis

Unless you go pick it up in person it's always a bit of a gamble. I've been burned....I've also found some good deals. You have to do whatever you can to improve your odds. This board can be very helpful.

I gave up a decent 68 grille in trade for a back glass and some stainless trim. I wen't through hell to get the stuff. When I did get it I found it to be incomplete and useless junk. It was a hard lesson learned. In hind sight I was as much to blame as the jerk who screwed me. I should have done my homework. It won't happen again..........I WILL get reparations from him eventually.

Arigmaster

I think I'm one of the lucky ones...  I have crews and trucks rolling all over the country at any given time which comes in pretty handy when I want to get a part back home.

I have the person send me several pictures and negotiate the price from the photos. If on e-bay and I win the bid, It will be based on the validity of the pictures on e-bay. I will tell the seller this right up front that if the pic is not the same as the part that I will report it and will cancel the purchase. Same applies to private purchases.

Now, once I have an agreement, I will route one of my crews or drivers to the seller's place or business with money in hand. They will tell me from the pics if it is legitimate or not. If it is, the seller has cash in hand and my guy has the part to bring back with him. If not, my guy will contact me and put me on with the seller to either re-negotiate the price or mutually agree to pass on the part with no hard feelings.

If they are rip off artists, they usually back pedal pretty fast when they know I have a live representative coming with cash and photos in hand to pay for the part. By the way, my crews and drivers do heavy rigging and are not the types you want to cross or play games with...lol

69 rt

Thanks guys for the info, and Jason I appreciate the offer, I am waiting for a reply as to where I send the money so I cannot as of now give an address.

69 rt