News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drive to Carlisle

Started by 66FBCharger, May 17, 2012, 10:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

If you don't want to drive because your worried about breaking down, whats the point in having a muscle car?

BananaDan

Quote from: bill440rt on May 17, 2012, 02:54:48 PM
Quote from: BananaDan on May 17, 2012, 01:29:45 PM
I'm driving like last year.  I assume the NJ/NYC caravan will be going like last year, Chris driving with me and Bill with his trailer in our rear-view mirrors.   :nana:

We take 78 to 81 and leave early Thursday AM.

Ah, but the trailer sure was a cozy sleeping place for your Charger at night, hmmm...??   :scratchchin:  :nana:

Ahh, yes.  Casa Mann worked out very well during the 24-our monsoon we had last year.  THANKS BILL!!!   :notworthy:

I broke down last year on the way home, wasn't even out of Carlisle when it happened.  That wouldn't sway me from driving her again though (unless Chris isn't around to be my wingman).   ;D
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Chris G. on May 17, 2012, 05:54:19 PM
I drive it, why shouldn't everyone?  :shruggy:

:smilielol:       You gotta go about 2 blocks anymore right ?   :lol:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

TeeWJay426

I usually caravan down with a bunch from New England. Usually leave from Littleton, Mass on Thursday morning, and arrive in Carlisle mid-afternoon. Brian (NHcharger) started with us one year, but got bored hanging with the trucks & trailers, I guess, and got hung up in traffic on 81 in PA later. He served as a good warning to us to find an alternate route, though!  :2thumbs: Any other New Englanders are more than welcome to hook up with us and caravan along. Our usual route is 495/290/90/84/81.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

NHCharger

Quote from: bakerhillpins on May 17, 2012, 01:07:29 PM
Quote from: 66FBCharger on May 17, 2012, 11:38:53 AM
Bakerhillpins,
We are going from Ct. It is around 5 or 6 hours drive for us. Not sure about everyone's schedule. It would be cool to have a convoy from New England. Any thought?

That would be exactly what I am looking for. What days are you planning on traveling?

I briefly mentioned it to NHCharger over the winter and was thinking I would try to hook up with him since I knew he usually drove down.

I'm probably heading out on wednesday night and stay over in NY. That way I can roll into Carlisle around noon on thursday. Last year there was a bad accident that shut down 84 for hours late Thursday morning. I think TeeWJ got caught up in that mess. I was one hour ahead of it. The year before they were paving 84 and it was 100º in the shade. The car was overheating and I ended up driving back roads that added several hours to a already long day. Back in 2000 there was a fatal accident on 84 and I sat in traffic for 3+ hours.
There always seems to be some type of traffic issue on the way down that caused me to miss the Thursday kick off show. If I do leave on Thursday I'll probably leave around 3-4 AM.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

71ChallengeHer

I'll be driving as usual. 35-40 minute drive for me. And I don't have to pay for a hotel.  :nana:

Cooter

Quote from: Back N Black on May 17, 2012, 06:29:33 PM
If you don't want to drive because your worried about breaking down, whats the point in having a muscle car?

Um, did you read what is posted, or are you just skipping to the end like one would a book?

INTERSTATE break downs are not enjoyable, Not to meantion DEADLY.. Breakdowns are inevidable. Not all of us have AAA and just dial a number..Please try and actually READ the thread before you try and be cute.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

Quote from: Troy on May 17, 2012, 04:56:00 PM

It's amusing how the professional mechanic of the bunch won't drive his car but those of us with hardly any skill have no problem heading out on a 500 mile road trip. ;)

Troy

Wow Troy, I would expect better from you than that. Woulda thought an attempt at a "Cheap shot" was beyond you..Go figure..Most of you will most likely call AAA. I will go toe to toe on roadside repairs with anyone here, but I refuse to do it if it's gonna cost me my life. The Interstate is NOT the place to be repairing cars. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, Wore it out and now I polish cars with it. Besides, I'm on  on Vacation only to do MORE of the same sh*t I do everyday for a living, fixing some broken down car? Yeah, right.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bill440rt

AAA is not necessarily a bad thing, in many cases it's a smart thing.
I had a timing belt go on me once, had my kid in the car. A PT Cruiser, one of the suckiest timing belt jobs out there. No choice but to call AAA.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Ill probably be taking the charger in the trailer since I will have the bias plys on it at that time.  My parents will be driving the challenger convert though so we have the best of both worlds!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

autodynamics

I will drive in....doing 80 in the left lane getting 20 mpg..........3 hour drive having the radio cranked, and a/c on... :drool5:

DC_1

I'm drivin the 7 hours in the Durango.......If someone would kindly sweep the interstate from Toronto to Carlisle so I don't get the stone chips and trim dents i would gladly drive the Charger! :D

1BAD68

I used to worry and not take my Charger on trips over 100 miles away then I thought "I put around 2000-3000 miles a year cruising and never have breakdowns, why worry so much about taking a trip?"
Besides, I have Hagerty's roadside assistance so if it's something I can't McGruber out of I'd just get on the phone.
That being said, Carlisle is 14 hours from me so I won't be driving there but happy motoring to all that do.

Charger-Bodie

Drove my dads 65 Plymouth There two years ago,18 hour drive. 440 4speed We got 14 mpg. And had no problems.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Aero426

If your car is in decent mechanical shape, there's no reason it shouldn't make the trip just fine.   More of a concern as I get older is just how much I want to tolerate lack of A/C in an old car and then spend the whole weekend at the show in the heat.    It's nice to arrive and not be worn out. 

Troy

Quote from: Cooter on May 18, 2012, 06:42:27 AM
Quote from: Troy on May 17, 2012, 04:56:00 PM

It's amusing how the professional mechanic of the bunch won't drive his car but those of us with hardly any skill have no problem heading out on a 500 mile road trip. ;)

Troy

Wow Troy, I would expect better from you than that. Woulda thought an attempt at a "Cheap shot" was beyond you..Go figure..Most of you will most likely call AAA. I will go toe to toe on roadside repairs with anyone here, but I refuse to do it if it's gonna cost me my life. The Interstate is NOT the place to be repairing cars. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, Wore it out and now I polish cars with it. Besides, I'm on  on Vacation only to do MORE of the same sh*t I do everyday for a living, fixing some broken down car? Yeah, right.
Notice the smiley at the end...

I lost the alternator in the Barracuda on the way to Monster Mopar, the power brake booster in the 68 Charger R/T on the way to Monster Mopar a year later, had a heat issue at Carlisle in the Challenger the first year I took it, and a wiring/heat problem in it last year at the Mopar Nationals. Those last two could be attributed to the 95+ degree temps and long highway stints. Yes, stuff breaks and it's really sucky to be stuck on the road. However, I average 15-18k miles per year on my classics and generally only suffer a couple of hiccups per season. I haven't had to have one towed yet. So far, my new(er) pickup trucks have left me stranded more often than my classic cars - and I generally rely on those to tow my trailer. What's worse, being stuck in the classic or with a truck, trailer, and classic?

Half the fun for me is seeing the looks on people's faces when they see you're actually driving the car. That's more rewarding than the occasional break down. So far at least. As I get older I get less tolerant so that may change.

Quote from: Aero426 on May 18, 2012, 10:00:01 AM
If your car is in decent mechanical shape, there's no reason it shouldn't make the trip just fine.   More of a concern as I get older is just how much I want to tolerate lack of A/C in an old car and then spend the whole weekend at the show in the heat.    It's nice to arrive and not be worn out. 
Exactly! The Barracuda was yellow with a white interior and had a 318 (with A/C that I never used) and it was reasonably comfortable (it also had a decent radio that could be heard over the engine and wind noise). The Chargers and my Challenger have 440s and black vinyl interiors. The first road trip I took in the 68 R/T was fairly miserable but the last two years in the Challenger have been even worse! I don't think there's nearly as much air circulation in the E-bodies as the Charger. Not to mention the seats get real uncomfortable after a few hours. I've ridden with hemigeno in his truck pulling his trailer and that's traveling in style! Plus it doesn't require a fill up every hour and 45 minutes.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Cooter

What I find amazing is the fact that VERY few of the "Real" Musclecars that everybody talks about driving all of 5 hours, didn't have creature comforts like A/C....Yet, they want to spend 5 hours repairing one on the side of the interstate...hmmmm, maybe i'm missing something here..Mechanically sound or not. They freaking break down, and when they do, it's no more fun than riding without A/C..Especially if you get sideswiped by some stupid kid on a cell phone. Now, where's my smiley..?

Oh yeah, there it is... :cheers:

Don't get me wrong, I have driven the GL to Carlsile. Made it just fine. I have also driven my daily and broken down..Sucked big time, but i wasn't afraid of the tow truck driver tearing up my daily as much as i would if he tore up the GL...

Troy

I guess I don't mind because I have to drive on the highway everywhere I go - I don't live close to anything! My regular Friday night cruise is 39 miles away and 25 of that is on a 4 lane divided highway. If I take the car to work it's 28 miles with 15 of that on the highway. My cars almost always break while sitting in traffic so it's usually not terribly hard to pull off into a parking lot. It's more likely that I'll break down within 20 miles of home as it is 300 miles away. The only difference is that I can call family for a ride to get my own truck and trailer instead of calling AAA (but then I have to leave the car unattended). The only good thing about breaking down at a show is that there are lots of knowledgeable people around and nearly any part you could ever need.

I think driving my cars all the times helps. Many times the cars that break seem to be ones that don't get a lot of miles put on them. Electrical parts especially seem to have issues after sitting for long periods.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

rarefish

I have been driving old cars to out of state car events every year since 1983 and I'm always somewhat a nervous wreck doing so. The fear of something going wrong is always on my mind.  I have had a few minor problems over the years so far, but never the big one.

This year I will be leaving the Charger home and probably driving the AAR. I have not driven that car to Carlisle since they held the AAR, T/A  35 year  reunion back in 2005.  For me the trip is about 290 miles one way. Not too bad as compaired to some others here.   I usually try to convoy with someone locally, but the number of car people in my area  that go to Carlisle, has dried up over the last few years.  Right now it's looking like I will be driving solo again this year.
Hope to see all of you guys and gals in the Charger tent again this year.    We need another group picture......Maybe on Saturday?

Cooter

Might cruise by the tent to say hello to a few of my close friends here, but will not be in a picture.

BBKNARF

Please snap alot of pictures and share them with us who cannot attend, thanks and have fun  :cheers:
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: BBKNARF on May 18, 2012, 12:51:49 PM
Please snap alot of pictures and share them with us who cannot attend, thanks and have fun  :cheers:

Yes please do! Have fun kids  :2thumbs:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Just 6T9 CHGR

Will be driving the 3 hr trip again like I always do (except for that one fluke of a year that Chris G. trailered me down...couldnt get the car off the damn trailer! ;)  )

Last year was the most "eventful" trip of all....Started with Chris G.'s fuel pump crap out coming out of his garage for the 3 tenth of a mile haul to the show with his Hang Ten....then Dan's fuel pump pushrod wear down right out of the Sunoco station on Rt11 on the way home.....then my own repro belt debacle right on Rt 81.
Definitely worked on way too many cars that weekend :rotz:

This year should be uneventful though (cross fingers) in the break down department
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

rarefish

I love those through the windshield photos of other cars on the road. That's really the true core of this hobby. Seeing these car in action. Especially when are several in a group.  Tell me that doesn't get your heart racing. :drool5:

Back N Black

Quote from: Cooter on May 18, 2012, 06:28:05 AM
Quote from: Back N Black on May 17, 2012, 06:29:33 PM

Um, did you read what is posted, or are you just skipping to the end like one would a book?

INTERSTATE break downs are not enjoyable, Not to meantion DEADLY.. Breakdowns are inevidable. Not all of us have AAA and just dial a number..Please try and actually READ the thread before you try and be cute.

I'm not trying to be cute and i don't have AAA, i have confidence in what i build. As for fixing a car on the INTERSTATE that's peanuts, try fixing a vehicle on the side of the road and being shot at by a sniper. :2thumbs: