News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

340 Engine Upgrade

Started by wingman(22), May 14, 2012, 10:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingman(22)

Looking for some suggestions on upgrading a stock 1973 340 engine. I and putting together a vintage 1971 oval track car. I have a car that is complete except for motor and trans. I have found a complete motor and brand new 904 trans.
I want to do some upgrades to motor for now without total rebuild. Maybe upgrade cam, intake, heads , and carb. Any idea on size of cam to use and other items. Already have Hooker headers for engine.
During winter may do a total rebuild. Want to get to track asap.....

Bill

Chryco Psycho

The 2 big problems with the 73 340 are the cast crank & external balance issue & the drop in compression . Yes I caught the do not want to do a total rebuild part But bumping the compression will have a big part in increasing the power .
What do the rules allow for heads , The RHS heads may be the best bang for the buck , the best production heads I have used are the 87-92 308 casting swirl truck heads , Eddy RPM Air Gap intake is one of the best .I would use a Proform carb 650-750 depending on heads & cam choice .
The cam is the big issue , you want to match the intake power band , converter stall so everything works together , if you do not change the pistons you will want a short overlap cam , 112* cl to help build cylinder pressure , this will trim off the top end of the powerband so it will effect Gear , converter & intake choice . You will also have to decide what type of cam you are going to use , Hyd , Solid flat tappet or Hyd or Solid roller , there are hundreds of lobes to choose from & the cams can be custom ground to fit your needs , you need to be honest with yourself & the cam company to help get the cam you need to work best for your application  , Things like track length & gear used including tire height will determine the RPM you need to work with .

wingman(22)

No rules for heads or motor. It is a vintage class and any motor size can be run in any car.
I will look into the items you mentioned.
Thanks,
Bill