News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is this copper tube sticking out the firewall?

Started by Dino, May 10, 2012, 09:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I noticed a few electrical wires were a bit close to the ps header so while fixing that I noticed a short, bent and brittle piece of hose that sits on a short copper tube, like the heater tubes, sticking out the firewall.  What is this?  An overflow?
:shruggy:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

SnoPro440

2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU

Troy

If you're talking about a little tiny thing (looks almost like a wire) it's probably for your A/C.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Thermocouple  (temp sensor)  for the heater box ? Isn't that supposed to inside the car, not out?

J.Bond

Thermostatic Expansion Valve--TX Valve Sensing bulb capiliry tube.

Dino

Not a wire no, it's a copper tube, same size as the heater tubes higher up.

Expansion valve eh?  Hmmm I didn't know there was supposed to be one on the firewall.  Does anyone have the stock a/c system on their 69's?  I'd love to see a pic of what it looks like.

Is the hose rubber? Could it be the blower motor vent tube ?

Hemidog

There are a couple of drain tubes for the A/C evaporator going through the firewall, perhaps you're talking about them?

Hemidog

Seeing 440s post, I think he is right.... the blower motor vent tube  :yesnod: it's suppose to sit underneath the blower motor (there is a hole there)
See the third hole on the left in the picture...

Dino

Ahhh that must be it.  So is it supposed to have a hose on it at all or do I leave the tube open?

Thanks guys!   :2thumbs:

Hemidog

It's suppose to have that hose going from that copper tube to the blower motor, so that it cools itself when it's running.
Check this hole:

There is supposed to be a hose that connects that tube to a hole in the bottom of the motor. In your picture it appears to be there but not connected properly.

You can see the blower motor vent tube in my "A/C heater box restoration made easy" thread.

Dino

Ahh I see.  I'll have to investigate it a bit more then.  The fan never worked but yesterday I followed the green wire coming out of the fan and found the connector dangling and a green wire with loose connector going into the wiring loom so it looks like I found that culprit!  I hooked it back up but my control switches are still on the workbench so I don't know if it'll work or not.  

The short hose has no clamp on it and it's totally dried out, I have some left over pieces of heater hose so I'll put it back together tonight.
440 I just found the picture with the fan motor and hose, that's the one alright!  Maybe heater hose will kink...I'll have to find one of those bent hoses.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!   :2thumbs:

Hemidog

Dino