News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do all Chagers come with Front Sway Bars?

Started by Matthan, May 02, 2012, 10:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthan

Did all Chagers come with Front Sway Bars? I thought this was an aftermarket part?

Suspensions are new to me so that is why I am asking.

Ghoste

I want to say that all of the classic ones did (66-74)  There may be a few exceptions in the later years but not many.

Nacho-RT74

I think all came with sway bars allmost as standard part, just maybe Low Priced class lines could not get them ( Cars with /6s for example, or L21 coded on VIN )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Chryco Psycho

most base models with 318 or slant 6 would not have them unless optioned

Ghoste

I don't know that I have ever seen a 318 one that didn't have them.  If it wasn't standard with a 318 then it was at least a very very common option. 

Chryco Psycho

I could be wrong but I have seen a lot of lower control arms without sway bar mount tabs on them

Ghoste

Doing a quick check on the Hamtramck Registry page, it looks like up until 1969 the HD suspension was standard across the board.  In 1970 it shows a reduced rate suspension being available on 318 and 383 cars.  That would also coincide with the first year for the "stripped down" base Charger.  Like I said though, that was just a real quick check.

red79

My 72 came with a 318 from the factory and did not have a sway bar or mounting tabs on the LCAs  :Twocents:

FLG

Yes some came without them, i know some 3rd gens did not have front bars.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 02, 2012, 11:04:57 AM

I agree. They were not standard.  Most 318 cars do not have them

Ghoste

Starting with what year though?  I checked the dealer order guides at the Hamtramck Registry and they are showing from 66-69 that HD suspension was standard.  Was the swaybar not part of that package?  I can't seem to find any information to order a sway bar separately there? :shruggy:

68X426

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 02, 2012, 11:04:57 AM

My old 68 Charger, 318, had no sway bar.

Also of note: plenty of 68 Road Runners have no sway bar. You would think that with a standard 383 motor that the sway bar would be standard. It was not. I've seen many RRs without. Most shocking is when someone has dropped in a hot 440, added upgrades all around, and hasn't added a bar.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

FLG

I know firmfeel sells sway bars for cars "with" and "without" factory sway bar brackets for all the year chargers  :scratchchin:

Ghoste

The Road Runner one surprises me even more since they made a big deal about if having the "Hemi" suspension when they were new.  You are absolutely sure those ones weren't clones or something?

FLG

Ghoste

FLG

Every car built on a Monday or Friday were sway bar deletes  :smilielol:

68X426

Quote from: Ghoste on May 02, 2012, 01:01:29 PM
The Road Runner one surprises me even more since they made a big deal about if having the "Hemi" suspension when they were new.  You are absolutely sure those ones weren't clones or something?

Mopar myth #142 = Hemi suspension. :icon_smile_big:

I didn't know anyone else noticed these oddities, so I never gave it any more thought.

Yes, multiple RRs seen without, in particular at last year's Sacramento Mopar show there were three in a row. All RM cars, no bars, no brackets. I don't know if they were the same factory, or all early production. They were very stock RM21 and 23s. I think I took pics, I'll check tonite. [ edit - no pics ]

I will take a look at all the B-bodies at the Mopar Alley show in June. Sort of take an inventory.

I would assume that Satellites and Belvederes wouldn't have bars, so good call on the clones, but not this time.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

Which is why I put it in quotations.  However, the fact remains that Road Runners were sold and promtoed as having the upgraded brakes and suspension as standard equipment.  That is to say they were equipped with the same underpinnings as an RT or a GTX and how many of those have you seen without a sway bar.  If not a very early production thing I would gues any Road Runner (or Super Bee) missing them was subject to some kind of production error.

ACUDANUT

Roadrunners Having "upgraded brakes"  That's BS, I had a 69 RR with Manual Drums.  I would not call that "upgraded brakes".

Ghoste

They were the 11 inchers though, not the standard 10's.

Troy

Key word: "Charger". All my 68 Chargers have had factory bars - no matter the engine. I agree with Ghoste that it was this way through 1969. Other B-bodies did NOT automatically get the sway bar (I've seen a bunch of Coronets and Satellite small block cars without them). In 1970 the sway bar arrangement changed and, I believe, they stopped adding the sway bar to the base model Chargers then. When it comes to 3rd gen Chargers I have no idea what the rules were - but I do know that not all had a sway bar.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mike DC

I think the swaybars became optionally removed on 1970 cars.  It was some sort of "soft ride" deal.

All the V8 Chargers in '68 and '69 had them standard, I'm sure of that.  Maybe it could be optionally deleted but I can't remember ever seeing a 68/69 car that didn't come with one.     

I don't know how the slant-6 cars were done. 

Larry523

My old '72 318 Charger did not have a sway bar, but it most definitely needed one! (Especially the way I drove that poor thing in those days when I was young and stupid!)

Dino

My 69 with 318 had it because when the po swapped the 318 for a 440 he put in a beefier bar.  I have the original in my garage.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.