News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger shifter

Started by cdr, April 15, 2012, 07:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdr

well I'M sure this has been done before but just wanted to show yall what I did to my shifter,wanted to keep the stock appearing shifter in my charger,but ,hate the way they shift through the gears,so I converted it to cable ,to get rid of all that funky linkage ,& ground a slot on the top side of the detent so when your in 1st gear you bump the shifter & it locks at 2nd gear,the push the button down & push forward & it locks at third gear when you let go of the button you can go to neutral, if in neutral you dont have to push button for drive just pull it back & it wont go past drive, works like an aftermarket shifter ,but better imo  thanx charlie keel
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cdr

also had to weld a tab on the bottom of detent you can see in the pic  works great
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

kab69440

Very clever! I dig it! Did you buy a complete aftermarket shifter for the pieces to convert the stock one?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

cdr

no stock shifter ,modified the detent latches on the slide of shifter,ordered a cable & trans bracket from jegs,& made the upper bracket,look at the 1st pic close & compare to a non modified shifter,i should have posted before & after pics to compare,but to late now lol

Indygenerallee

Sweet! I was thinking about doing the same thing because I have to mate the one in my 69 Daytona clone to my 5.7 Hemi 545RFE transmission, looks great!! :2thumbs:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

cdr

Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 16, 2012, 08:24:37 PM
Sweet! I was thinking about doing the same thing because I have to mate the one in my 69 Daytona clone to my 5.7 Hemi 545RFE transmission, looks great!! :2thumbs:
im putting an a518 overdrive out of a truck,it at the trans shop getting built,we gotta cut the bell housing off & putting a jwbell on it for b motor 496