News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

i guess this is why you see so many camaros restored

Started by charger_fan_4ever, April 10, 2012, 12:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_fan_4ever

WOW
a year ago the AMD 1/4's for my 70 alone were almost $1800

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BODY-KIT-CAMARO-69-QUARTER-FULL-FLOOR-LID-TRUNK-DOOR-DO-/200732388890?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACamaro&hash=item2ebc952e1a

Saw a project 68 rs/ss 396 4 speed on Cl last week for $8k. :scratchchin:
Add a new front clip and you could skin the whole car for under $5k in parts.

nvrbdn

new body in a box for 2500. delivered. thats not bad.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Memphis Mopar

The new sheet metal I got from AMD for  my 70 charger just ran me like 4600

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Memphis Mopar on April 10, 2012, 12:53:14 PM
The new sheet metal I got from AMD for  my 70 charger just ran me like 4600

I'm well over that figure just in AMD stuff not counting the rust free parts. I'm curious now I'll  have to check my spreadsheet at home for the amd total.

Its expensive, but the end result is super nice all factory seams. Not patched up/bondod metal. Sure would be kool if the prices for mopar AMD metal was more inline with brand X, but i'm ok with it. 5 or 6 years ago my car couldn't have been saved. Well it could have been if you could find NOS 1/4's at $3000 a side and afford it, or afford to buy a rust free car for big $$ to hack up.

Give it a couple years maybe the Mopar AMD metal might come down.

Troy

They made around 400,000 Camaros in 1969 so...
A. there are more still around
B. there are more needing parts
C. original parts were still being produced through the 1990s
D. some original tooling still exists (which cuts a huge chunk out of parts development costs)
E. prices are cheaper when manufacturing in bulk

The fact that you can buy the parts cheap isn't why you see more cars. It's the other way around. This is also why you're never likely to see reproduction 1970 Charger fenders. To put it into perspective that's about as many Chargers as were made from 1966-1971 (or 1972?).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Indygenerallee

I think some of the Mopar AMD stuff will / has come down I spent right at $5000 on all my AMD sheetmetal for my 69 Quarters were $1300 for both, fenders $1300, all the rest was the valance, tail light panel, outer wheel houses, trunk floor, dutchman panel, rear filler support, driver rear spring perch, rear crossmember, corners, trunk drop offs, trunk gutters. Seems like the Mopar stuff is not as expensive as it was 10-13 years ago. But Chevy stuff will always be cheap, I don't like Chevies cause they are like assholes, everybody has one.  :icon_smile_big:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Brock Lee

Yeah, the prices will come down in time. A large amount of the prices have had R&D and tooling factored in. As their product line grows and the old tooling gets paid off/down, the prices will go down.

Bobs69

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't seriously considering getting rid of my General (dream car) in favour of something I could see my dollar go further on.  Actually an upsetting realization. 

Chryco Psycho

it goes both ways , when you buy you can get more for your $ with Furd or Gm but when you sell you get less & there are a lot more Mustangs & camaros , I think I saw that they were more "rare" 69 Z28s built than all 70 Cudas & Challs combined

Troy

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 10, 2012, 02:53:37 PM
it goes both ways , when you buy you can get more for your $ with Furd or Gm but when you sell you get less & there are a lot more Mustangs & camaros , I think I saw that they were more "rare" 69 Z28s built than all 70 Cudas & Challs combined
That's not *always* true. My 4-speed Mach 1 is rarer and worth more than every other car I own except one (the 4-speed 68 Charger R/T Track Pack). If it had a 428 instead of the 351C I could trade it in on a house. A 65-68 six cylinder coupe would be cheap and so would most base model Camaros and Chevelles. But how much are Slant Six and 318 Mopars worth?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Memphis Mopar

Restoring an old mopar is expensive as hell !!!! But at the end of the day it is right where I want to be. I would rather put more hours in at work and save a little longer then just go get a Camaro or Mustang. Dont get me wrong I like Camaro's but I love and I mean love a 2nd Gen Charger!!! When I went to the Garlits Show in Ocala last year there was maybe 9 or 10 1968-1970 chargers there and that show is one of the bigger ones in Florida. Hell I see that many Camaro's at a local show on Saturday afternoon. I guess in the end I like having what most other people dont have.

Ghoste

But if you are going to get less when you sell your Ford or GM should it really matter since you should have gotten more for your money when you bought it in the first place? :stirthepot:

Bobs69

Quote from: Memphis Mopar on April 10, 2012, 06:12:02 PM
Restoring an old mopar is expensive as hell !!!! But at the end of the day it is right where I want to be. I would rather put more hours in at work and save a little longer then just go get a Camaro or Mustang. Dont get me wrong I like Camaro's but I love and I mean love a 2nd Gen Charger!!! When I went to the Garlits Show in Ocala last year there was maybe 9 or 10 1968-1970 chargers there and that show is one of the bigger ones in Florida. Hell I see that many Camaro's at a local show on Saturday afternoon. I guess in the end I like having what most other people dont have.

Agreed.  Except I will NOT put any extra time in at work.  Maybe it's just that I hate my job lately (for the last ohhh year or 2).  If things were a little different, then maybe..........

charger_fan_4ever

At the end of the day a camaro or mustang ain't no 2nd generation :)

I could definitely drive the wheels off a SS big block 67-8 camaro though  :2thumbs: We will see after the 70 is done. I planned on getting another mustang lx coupe or a ls1 camaro to pound on a little. Maybe a project 4 speed 67-8 SS would be the way to go.

bull

Money or rarity has never been the issue for me, and many others obviously. If Chevy had made the 68-70 Charger instead of Dodge I'd be a Chevy guy right now and probably enjoying the thrill of cheap, plentiful parts. But I didn't fall in love with the 68 Chevy Charger I fell in love with the 68 Dodge Charger and therefore my road is not as straight and smooth. Oh well, so be it.

myk

Quote from: bull on April 10, 2012, 09:14:46 PM
Money or rarity has never been the issue for me, and many others obviously.

Exactly.  I ain't in this for the money, or how rare it is.  It's strange to me that others are, though.  To me, it was a childhood dream and then later a young college man's goal to sit behind the wheel of my very own '69.  I don't care whether it's worth $10 or $100,000 as it's just a part of my life and it will be until God kills one or both of us.  As for the Camaro and the Mustang those cars are "relatively" a dime a dozen anyway, so it makes sense that they should be cheaper and that much more accessible...

Memphis Mopar

Not sure where the "in it for the money" comes from. yes I am spending a lot of money to restore my charger but have no plans to ever sell mine once it is thru the resto. I hope that my only child which is my son will in time show a lot of intrest in it and I will hand it over to him many years down the road. If not then he will get it willed to him once I am 6 feet under. Now the part of being "rare" yes I do like that. I dont see many Chargers on the road down here in Central Florida. When I take my beat up donor charger out for a spin I get a lot of  :2thumbs: even thou it is not in the best of shape. Gives me pride to own it and I think people think it is cool because it is just a car that you don't see everyday! just my  :Twocents:

Cooter

Depends on the Camaro...Working on my Cousin's 1973(Last of the round tail lights) right now and Year One, Classic, etc. DO NOT even carry the "Type LT" Emblems for the body, the lower plastic dash, Most of the cluster, and such. But, boy if it were a 1967-69 we could buy the entire car out of the catalog piece by piece.

I think putting this Type LT back together is harder than if it were say an RS/SS, Z/28, or SS Camaro.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

Quote from: Memphis Mopar on April 11, 2012, 03:14:41 AM
Not sure where the "in it for the money" comes from.

I think this refers to the "Bandwagon" mopar guy/gal. only buys when they know they can flip for a profit and are Mopar died in the wool until Mopars aren't "Hot" anymore on the open market.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"