News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where is the article of the Bullit charger and mustang techical differences?

Started by cavemanno1, April 09, 2012, 03:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavemanno1

Hi guys!

I'm in a discussion on a Hungarian site about the Bullit charger and mustang!They say the mustang was better car,clearly they no nothing about the facts!I have an article of the charger and the mustang differences and how they put skinny tires to slow down the charger but i can't find it even with the search!I just wanna show them the article and open their eyes!
If someone could link that topic here i would appreciate!

thanks,

Peter

1974dodgecharger

To be honest with you I think the stang back in the day was slightly better in performance than the charger I do remmeber watching a documentory on this in the performance category due to the charger being heavier etc vs the stang a lighter vehicle with a v8.

Then again who cares I come to realize even faster cars in this modern age does not = me loving them I still love the 1st to through 3rd gen chargers.

cavemanno1

i just remember reading an article of them putting skinny tires of the charger to slow it down and how the mustang kept breaking down and how much they had to modify the engine and suspension of the mustang and they nearly done nothing to the charger!I can't find that article any more!

Thanks

Ghoste

Actually there are a few articles and such written about the two cars in which they clearly make note of the fact that the Mustang had to be modified to keep up with the Charger.  The Mustang also required a lot of reinforcement in the undercarriage where they were able to leave the Charger as it was equipped.
The Mustang was lighter yes, but this also meant it had a lighter duty suspension and not to take anything away from the drivetrain, the Bullitt car used a 390 and they are stout engine but the 390 Mustang was never the stormer you would think.  Thats why they went to the 428 CJ in an effort to make it competitive  (and Im not dismissing its abilities in Trans Am with that statement).
The 440 was an ideal match in the Charger with its abundant torque and the standard heavy duty underpinnings of the RT made it ready for action.

tan top

ghoste beat me to it  :cheers: :coolgleamA:

i remember that  web site with the facts between the two  ,   they did put skinny rubber on the charger ,  & they beefed up the mustangs suspension  , because it kept breaking after the jumps , also the tuned the mustangs motor up a little i believe too  ,
  stock  440 magnum charger R/T   will run away from a mustang 390  :yesnod:

i'll have a search for the said web site  & post it here  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

There was an old Motor Trend with an interview with Steve McQueen and he was bragging up the Mustang, Steve like his Ford products, and they asked about the Dodge and he claimed it was a Hemi car.  Seems to me he may have also claimed the Mustang as a 351 car?  Anyway, he was a savvy enough car guy that I'm sure he knew exactly what was in and done to both cars and he made those statements so the Mustang wouldnt look so bad.
I'll have to find that article.   Doesn't the extended deluxe extra content dvd contain some footage of the cars and they talk in that about mods to the Mustang as well?

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

There should be an article somewhere on the Mustang specifically as it sits today.  The current owner won't show the car or let anyone near it but he did allow one of the Mustang rags to do an feature on it a few years ago.  Can't recall which mag now.

cavemanno1

Laxy

71 Valiant VH Hardtop 265 Hemi 4-speed, 71 VH Valiant Charger R/T Replica 360 4-speed, 68 Dodge Charger 440/727.

Fred

Quote from: Ghoste on April 09, 2012, 05:55:11 AM
Actually there are a few articles and such written about the two cars in which they clearly make note of the fact that the Mustang had to be modified to keep up with the Charger.  The Mustang also required a lot of reinforcement in the undercarriage where they were able to leave the Charger as it was equipped.
The Mustang was lighter yes, but this also meant it had a lighter duty suspension and not to take anything away from the drivetrain, the Bullitt car used a 390 and they are stout engine but the 390 Mustang was never the stormer you would think.  Thats why they went to the 428 CJ in an effort to make it competitive  (and Im not dismissing its abilities in Trans Am with that statement).
The 440 was an ideal match in the Charger with its abundant torque and the standard heavy duty underpinnings of the RT made it ready for action.

I recall reading that also. And can well believe it.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

myk

I had read that both cars were fortified in any areas that involved performance and reliability; why wouldn't they be.  I also read that the Charger had to be driven slower so that the Mustang would appear to be the faster, better car.  Even before I was told any of this I always thought it odd that the Mustang caught up so quickly to the Charger after Bullitt wiped out on that curve.  Sadly though, in my opinion the Mustang wins because Steve McQueen drove it... :yesnod:

Kern Dog

I liked the chase scene but I must be in the minority about Steve McQueen. He was so low-key and boring to me. I like the "Bruce Willis" type of movie hero.

Fred

I have to say, I'm a bit of a Bruce Willis fan too. He has Charisma.  :Twocents:

myk

You gotta love Bruce.  I hope he does General Hawk justice in the upcoming GI Joe movie.  As for Steve, I always thought of him as an actor that could only portray one character: cool as ice, quiet, strong and brooding, although that may have been just his inability to act period, lol.  I think I remember a t-shirt with his face on it that read below: "What would Steve do?" 

RECHRGD

I've always loved the comment in the article that even after the mustang had been modified that "the Charger would just run circles around the Mustang".
13.53 @ 105.32

Brock Samson

:yesnod: EXACTLY! & as regards Steve Mc. he was the model for Mel Gibson, not Bruce.

bsakal

Muscle Car Review did one back in the late '80's - early '90's. I saved it. They interviewed people that worked on the set. One thing that stuck out was a gentleman saying something like "no matter what we did to the Mustang, the Charger would just leave it like you wouldn't believe"... LOL that pisses Mustang guys off. I gotta find the magazine....
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

dmann

i read that the charger was stock except for the four shocks were changed--and that the mustang had alot  of suspension work done to it--and after all that they had to continue to add air to the chargers tires to help the mustang to keep up--was not there but an article i read claimed that info---dave

Ghoste

We need to assemble all of these articles in a single location and archive them.  (mostly just for bugging Ford fans)

Fred

Quote from: Brock Samson on April 10, 2012, 07:15:29 PM
:yesnod: EXACTLY! & as regards Steve Mc. he was the model for Mel Gibson, not Bruce.

That's why I prefer Bruce.....................because he didn't model himself on Steve McQueen.
Even when I saw McQueen in his first movie .........."The Blob" I find him way too boring.

cavemanno1

I paced those articles to those Hungarian "know everything" guys and no more words from them about the greatness of the mustang!I told them i like the '67 fastback as well and would love to have along with he charger but all they saw was  i was bashing the mustang!However haven't heard from them any more!

Thanks for helping me opening their eyes!

Peter

PS:Sir Fred loves Bruce :girlfight:

Ghoste

Bashing the Mustang?  As opposed to what, bashing the Charger?  lol
It int bashing, its just a reciting of facts. ;)

cavemanno1

I relay don't know why they were "offended" by me saying the charger was faster and they just made the mustang look fast!
I have been on that forum for a week but now i already deleted my membership because whatever i said they picked on it!They twisted everything i said and started arguing!Well they wanted to argue but i didn't respond to them!Have to say that forum is for a$$holes!They argue with everyone and make stupid comments!What really pissed me off were the cursing and their attitude!

There was a topic to introduce myself and when they read i had a '69 charger they got some kinda jealous,i think!Parental most American car fans in Hungary want a charger but can't get one!They talk about chargers a lot among other makes as well but when i showed them pictures they just picked on my words!No one asked me about the car but started making stupid comments and telling false things!

Anyway i fell much better here then with those idiots!They think to be a man they have to use foul language and when i told them my 10old daughter read a few things with me and i saw how they talk i didn't let her read any more!Their response was this is a macho site and my daughter should read barbie forums!