News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 Hemi Roadrunner..What's it worth??

Started by Bobby41909, April 08, 2012, 10:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby41909

I might have the opportunity to purchase a '68 Hemi Roadrunner and I am interested in opinions on what the project car is worth.

The car was bought new by my father-in-law when we got home from Vietnam.  He drove it for a few years but as gas and insurance prices increased it spent more time in the garage than on the road.  At some point when my wife was toddler (she's 39 now) he decided the car needed a fresh coat of paint so he took it completely apart.  He's a perfectionist so I am sure that's the only way he would do it.  Over the past 40 years he's been accumulating NOS parts (chrome and trim parts) to get her in showroom condition when the restoration was completed. 

However, due to never having enough $$$ and time for the project, other than being taken apart, paint stripped and put in primer nothing else has been done.  It's been sitting in the same spot in his garage ever since.  Being in sunny Florida, it's in perfect restorable condition!

Recently, he discussed selling her because he wants a turn key 30's hot rod that he can drive everyday (and afford to at $4 per gallon).  So he looking for some $$$ to buy such a hot rod.

My wife and I (she reminds me all the time they aren't all mine..lol) have a few classic muscle cars including a '69 Charger (see my restoration thread in here) so I won't let this Roadrunner leave the family.  I'd prefer he sell it to my wife (so it stays in the family) and give it a concourse level restoration.

I don't follow the Hemi crowd much and an internet search returns a wide variety of asking/sales prices.  So I thought folks in here might have a good idea of it's monetary value especially in its current condition.  For my wife, to have the car her parents started dating in is priceless. But I'd like to be fair with him and have the funds to complete the restoration.

The car is black on black (exterior & interior) with a 426 hemi, dana, 4 speed, bench seat, drum brakes and deluxe trim on the trunk lid.  He also has tons of papers work including the original sales sheet and even all the insurance and registration paperwork for every year he had the car on the road.  Although I don't think he has the build sheet. 

Your help is appreciated?  I love the idea of getting this Roadrunner in her orginal showroom condition (or better) and taking the family for a ride.  My wife has never seen it in running condition which would be very cool.

RIDELIKEHELL

What an oppourtunity you have to land that! I am nobody to say what its worth but I hope you get it :2thumbs:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

68X426

Here's what distorts the WIW question: it involves family. Dad will want top dollar, you will want bottom dollar. It's a family heirloom in un-useable condition today, further distorting the deal. Then the deal is intensified with lots of emotion, love, passion, history. And a women too.  ;D

So do you really want to go there? The risk of damaged family relationships is huge.

But since you asked ....

The project itself is unique. One like it doesn't exactly show up at auction sites everyday. If it's all there and perfect, then the seller might want $25k to $40k and the buyer might want $5k. So maybe the range is really $15 to $20k.

Sounds like you're willing and able to drop $30-40k into it to have a sweet ride. Are you really going to go concours level and lay out $100k-125k? If so then pay the man $25k and start the restoration.

Or not.  :Twocents:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

surmanajaja

without any pics its really hard to give an estimate...but if its rust free and comes with the nos parts that you mentioned..then a black 4-speed for 1st owner is a dream come true and if you can buy it under 30k then ur a lucky sob.

UFO

Here's a idea.
How about finding the hot rod he wants,you purchase it as a trade with the road runner.

Rolling_Thunder

Is it willed to your wife?    :scratchchin:

Seriously - you could spend about 25-40K depending...     given that it is disassembled
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

68coronetGLwannabe

I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Memphis Mopar

I say that you and your wife work out a deal to get the RR. If you father in law gets his hotrod and the peace to see his RoadRunner fully restored knowing that his RR will never be sold and possibly passed on to his grandson! I know that at some point one of my best moments and full of pride will be when I hand over my charger to my son.. That will be many years down the road but none the less still and incredible moment that will occur in my life.

Budnicks

Quote from: 68X426 on April 08, 2012, 12:33:09 PM
Here's what distorts the WIW question: it involves family. Dad will want top dollar, you will want bottom dollar. It's a family heirloom in un-useable condition today, further distorting the deal. Then the deal is intensified with lots of emotion, love, passion, history. And a women too.  ;D

So do you really want to go there? The risk of damaged family relationships is huge.

But since you asked ....

The project itself is unique. One like it doesn't exactly show up at auction sites everyday. If it's all there and perfect, then the seller might want $25k to $40k and the buyer might want $5k. So maybe the range is really $15 to $20k.

Sounds like you're willing and able to drop $30-40k into it to have a sweet ride. Are you really going to go concours level and lay out $100k-125k? If so then pay the man $25k and start the restoration.

Or not.  :Twocents:

I would tend to agree 100%  :cheers:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Bobby41909

IMO there wouldn't be any family issues.  I beleive my father in law would be very happy to see the car stay in the family and finally get restored the way he always planned.  I think its more of an issue for him to finally decide to let the car go (although its not going that far).

I appreciate the feedback.  I was thinking about getting him a hotrod in the $30k range but hoped to get it for $20k. Shouldn't take that much to make it a concourse level restoration.  He has all the original parts in great condition and what he doesn't have shouldn't be that much (interior,etc) maybe a $50k resto in total.  That would put my total investment at $80k though its not really an investment.  I would never consider selling it.  For a true car guy that's too cool of a family story and something my wife would will to our son.

I got my answer though, a $30k hotrod is a fair trade.

We'll see what happens.   

Bobby41909

He wants a fiberglass 41 Willy's painted blue (similar to B5).  Something he can drive everyday and have fun with... SBC 350, vintage air, 700r4...you get the idea.  If you know of one, let me know.

Budnicks

Try , www.Autabuy.com , or  maybe , www.hotrodhotline.com , there are a few there on both sites some way over priced, 39-41 Willy's Coupes go for pretty decent money, there are a ton of kit companies out there too, were you can get a nice/decent roller set up for or with a basic SBC/auto & 9" rear for in the $25k range, unfinished unpainted no interior doors hung & window kit etc....

Bobby41909

Quote from: Budnicks on April 08, 2012, 08:49:49 PM
Try , www.Autabuy.com , or  maybe , www.hotrodhotline.com , there are a few there on both sites some way over priced, 39-41 Willy's Coupes go for pretty decent money, there are a ton of kit companies out there too, were you can get a nice/decent roller set up for or with a basic SBC/auto & 9" rear for in the $25k range, unfinished unpainted no interior doors hung & window kit etc....

Thanks....wow those Willy's are pricey...

Budnicks

Quote from: Bobby41909 on April 08, 2012, 09:08:20 PM
Quote from: Budnicks on April 08, 2012, 08:49:49 PM

Thanks....wow those Willy's are pricey...
:2thumbs: Yep very popular too...

Vainglory, Esq.

I think $30k sounds fair. Maybe on the high side for the car alone, but I would have to assume that it comes with all those aforementioned NOS parts. My initial range on first reading this was between 20k-30k.