News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My wife is giving me the business.....

Started by HeavyFuel, March 13, 2012, 12:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

...and not the kind that I look forward to. :icon_smile_big:

She started in with the old, "How much money have you spent on that stupid car? How much more do you have to spend?  blah blah blah"

I came back with all of the sacrifices that I've made over that last twenty years to help offset the $$ going to the Charger.  And what it's worth.

She came back with, "It doesn't matter what it's worth, you're never going to sell it."

So I say......"I might not ever sell the car, but YOU sure as hell might go any day now."

That's all I remember until this morning.

model maker

Did she clobber you this morning :icon_smile_blackeye: ?  LOL. i feel your pain though. Hang in there she doesn't understand your commitment. Maybe if she found out the car was suddenly worth a LOT of money, she will probably change her mind however, if that happens she may pressure you to sell it so she can get the money. :popcrn: hang tough and don't give in. :2thumbs:
Bert
MODEL MAKER

b5blue

I have an EX wife and a 70 Charger still....she only piped up 1 time about MY car and I didn't need to say a word, my kids jumped her! I ended up keeping the kids to!
  Seriously though don't forget to spend some time and money on her every now and then!  :lol:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: b5blue on March 13, 2012, 12:33:37 PM
  I have an EX wife and a 70 Charger still....she only piped up 1 time about MY car and I didn't need to say a word, my kids jumped her! I ended up keeping the kids to!
  Seriously though don't forget to spend some time and money on her every now and then!  :lol:

Yeah...that's a good tip....although she spends enough on herself already!   Can you say, "Hot Tub"?

HeavyFuel

Quote from: model maker on March 13, 2012, 12:19:08 PM
Did she clobber you this morning :icon_smile_blackeye: ?  LOL. i feel your pain though. Hang in there she doesn't understand your commitment. Maybe if she found out the car was suddenly worth a LOT of money, she will probably change her mind however, if that happens she may pressure you to sell it so she can get the money. :popcrn: hang tough and don't give in. :2thumbs:
Bert

Of course I was just kidding about that last part...I didn't say it, and she didn't wack me.....

But I WANTED to......

Troy

Never tell them what it's worth - that adds dollar signs to a divorce! ;)

OR, in the worst case, it's sold while you are gone without your knowledge. :icon_smile_blackeye:

I believe money (or, more precisely, how the other spends it) is at the top of the list of reasons to fight within a marriage. A budget (with documentation!) helps. It's amazing what a woman can spend on shoes, spas, gifts for friends, etc. when no one is watching. Of course guys can do the same with tools and car parts. Since a classic car is worth a lot (and it's around long after shoes and clothes have been trashed) it tends to become the focus whenever money gets tight. Having a documented history of how much you've spent (or not spent) over time helps. On the other hand, most women aren't logical so it's easier to just hide what you spend and let them think of it as the "old junker out back". :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Of course, its pretty rare for shoes and spa visits to be sold in an estate sale if the wife passes first.  And chances are she won't go first.

AirborneSilva

My wife and I have come to an agreement, we put an agreed upon amount into a central bank account that pays all the houehold bills and puts a fair amount into savings, then what's left we have seperate checking accounts the money goes into, we pay our personal bills like car payments and such then what's left over is none of the other persons business how it's spent.  She does ask on occasion how much I pay for a part, I give her the same answer - none of your business, it's my money!

moparstuart

Quote from: AirborneSilva on March 13, 2012, 01:11:05 PM
My wife and I have come to an agreement, we put an agreed upon amount into a central bank account that pays all the houehold bills and puts a fair amount into savings, then what's left we have seperate checking accounts the money goes into, we pay our personal bills like car payments and such then what's left over is none of the other persons business how it's spent.  She does ask on occasion how much I pay for a part, I give her the same answer - none of your business, it's my money!
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: good plan 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

duanesterrr

This is the main reason as a 26 year old I will be buying a charger before any mention of the "M" word.  If I already had it before "M" then its part of the deal!

Oh, and might I add... my logic is sound and will never be questioned  :lol:

AirborneSilva

It is working but every now and again she does try to control my money and I have to reminde her it's mine and not her's.

bull

AirborneSilva

Quote from: bull on March 13, 2012, 02:09:11 PM
Why do you guys marry bitches? :cheers:

My wifes not a bitch, she is likes to be controlling however and since I am the type of person whom likes to do what he wants to to then it does cause some friction on occasion but I pick my battles too  :yesnod:

Rolling_Thunder

Just reassure her that if you can be that faithful to a car....    you are that faithful with her.   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Patronus

Its all numbers, tell her there's some on the stove.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

model maker

Great advice Troy
You could always get a prenuptial agreement before you get married so that your charger STAYS YOURS ! :smash: :smash: If the wife ever askes how MUCH you spent on some parts just tell her "NOt as much as you did on those  23 pair of matching shoes :pullinghair: I know that when I finally get the car of my dreams the wife will support me and that IS a relief not to have to worry about that, she IS i guess you can say, A " Numbers matching " wife :thumbs:

Bert
MODEL MAKER

Indygenerallee

I had 5 project cars at one time once I found my 69 Charger I told my wife this is the car I have wanted all my life!! so I sold the rest so she knew I was serious and she has supported me 100% (Although she may not know where every dime goes!)  :D She is understanding just remember "as long as mom is happy everyone is happy!" :icon_smile_big:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

aussiemuscle

Quote from: bull on March 13, 2012, 02:09:11 PM
Why do you guys marry bitches? :cheers:
hehe. 1 point for bull.

it's not just car guys either, many of my friends gave up their hobby when they got married.  :shruggy:

NHCharger

My wife has no problem with my big shop behind the house, or the fact that I have three Chargers. Unlike many others in the construction trade I don't stop at the bar every night on the way home, don't smoke, no drugs, my only vacation is Carlisle once a year. I have easily averaged over 50 hours a week at work for the last 20+ years. My Charger hobby is my only outlet.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Back N Black

Every penny spent on my charger was from money i made on the side, i never used our regular pay  for the restoration.  :cheers:

TUFCAT

My car is like "property value" because it won't sell it..  Just like a rare forgotten diamond sitting in a safety deposit box somewhere. :yesnod:

TUFCAT

Quote from: Back N Black on March 13, 2012, 07:53:52 PM
Every penny spent on my charger was from money i made on the side, i never used our regular pay  for the restoration.  :cheers:

Same here!!  :2thumbs:  I have about four to five grand "house money" invested in my car....mostly on the complete engine sitting on its stand next to it. :P.

TheGhost

Any woman who doesn't support your hobbies isn't worth keeping.  A little complaining now and then is one thing, but if this happens often, it won't stop.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

The70RT

I have had my car one year longer than the wife, 33 years. She knows what the car means to me. Only once in a while we get into it about the car.....but it's me bitching about not enough money going into it  :icon_smile_big: She even said I can sell her classic if I want to finish the Charger. I said no because we still need to get out to cruises and shows till the Charger is done. A funny thing happened last summer when my car was leaving on a trailer to get painted. She said I never thought I would see the car leaving before me!....I said yeah but when it leaves it coming back   :rofl:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jaak

Quote from: Back N Black on March 13, 2012, 07:53:52 PM
Every penny spent on my charger was from money i made on the side, i never used our regular pay  for the restoration.  :cheers:

Ditto, I built my car the same way. But even if I did use our regular income, my wife wouldn't have said anything about it. She's cool, we've been married almost 12 years and have never had an argument.

Jason