News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headliner for my '69

Started by 66FBCharger, March 12, 2012, 07:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

Is Legendary the best place to buy a replacement headliner? About how much do they cost?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

69rtse4spd

Just ordered one from them for my 69 Dart, at the Indy. show. Got it the next Tuesday or Wensday, shipped to my door for 107.00. Have not put it in yet, but from what I have seen, they are the best.

C928BRAN

got mine at year one, waited till they had a 30 percent off sale, which they do all the time, got headliner, which came with new sail panel boards, the insulation, and the glue shipped to my door for 117.00. great quality headliner, and it did have the loops for the 2 short c pillar bows. looks great in the car.

craig

resq302

I got mine from Dante's who actually sells his stuff cheaper than Legendary! :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

66FBCharger

Quote from: resq302 on March 15, 2012, 10:58:21 PM
I got mine from Dante's who actually sells his stuff cheaper than Legendary! :2thumbs:
What brand of headliner does Dante's sell? How is the quality?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

resq302

I think Dante's is made by REM which I know Legendary sells as well.  The quality is very nice!  Nice heavy vinyl material that the installer had no issues with.  He actually said it was one of the nicest headliners to work with as the stuff he gets is not ususally as thick / heavy as the material that used in my headliner.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69 OUR/TEA

FWIW,my 68 coronet,my B5 69 charger and my 3x9 69 charger (to be installed)all have headliners made from  NOS material that SMS in Oregon has.They send it out to another place to get made into the specific car you are buying it for.Call them,tell them what year and color,they send you a sample,if happy get it made.Legendary sent me a sample when I was doing the one in my 68 coronet,blue,out of 3 samples,all were not even close,grain,color,holes,etc.they told me pick the one that is closest,yeah right!!!!
They cost alot more than the Dantes,Legendary,etc,but they are exact !!!!! The friend that helped me put in the one in the 69 B5 charger brought over his steamer,that was the key.It came out perfect,and honestly,better than factory.  :Twocents:

bill440rt

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on April 03, 2012, 06:47:50 PM
FWIW,my 68 coronet,my B5 69 charger and my 3x9 69 charger (to be installed)all have headliners made from  NOS material that SMS in Oregon has.They send it out to another place to get made into the specific car you are buying it for.Call them,tell them what year and color,they send you a sample,if happy get it made.Legendary sent me a sample when I was doing the one in my 68 coronet,blue,out of 3 samples,all were not even close,grain,color,holes,etc.they told me pick the one that is closest,yeah right!!!!
They cost alot more than the Dantes,Legendary,etc,but they are exact !!!!! The friend that helped me put in the one in the 69 B5 charger brought over his steamer,that was the key.It came out perfect,and honestly,better than factory.  :Twocents:

The one in my '70 is made of NOS material as well, Legendary stitched it up for me years ago. The repro ones (in any color) aren't even close material & pattern-wise.
However, the repro ones are MUCH easier to work with than original material! The repros have a "stretch" to the fabric that original material does not. If you stretch it the wrong way the original fabric will tear, not stretch. Have to be very careful with it.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

66FBCharger

Quote from: bill440rt on April 03, 2012, 07:20:52 PM

The one in my '70 is made of NOS material as well, Legendary stitched it up for me years ago. The repro ones (in any color) aren't even close material & pattern-wise.
However, the repro ones are MUCH easier to work with than original material! The repros have a "stretch" to the fabric that original material does not. If you stretch it the wrong way the original fabric will tear, not stretch. Have to be very careful with it.

Thanks for the advice Paul and Bill.
Do you have the contact info for SMS?
I saw in the Legendary catalog, something about perforated or not perforated. Did the factory use two different designs on '69s?

timebombkal

Do any of these companies sell headliner bows?

bull

Quote from: timebombkal on April 04, 2012, 05:19:50 PM
Do any of these companies sell headliner bows?

The only place I've seen selling bows is Jim's, and it's some sort of universal or cut-to-fit kit.

http://www.jimsautoparts.com/headliners.htm

timebombkal