News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Opinions on Protronix ignitions

Started by 70charginglizard, March 10, 2012, 12:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

Hey all,

Years ago when I built my 440 motor up I went with that Mopar 3690428 Electronic distributer system that has the orange box.

Over the years Ive been watching the advancements on the protronix ignitions and Im getting more and more interested in going this way now with what they now seem to have to offer because the 70 440 setup was not supose to have the box on the firewall. But I'm really not interested in using their protronix "chrome looking" distributer.

I really like what im seeing in that protronix III igniter kit that comes with the rev limiter system and a more powerful spark-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pertronix-3-Ignitor-Multi-Spark-45-000-volt-Coil-71381A-MOPAR-8-CYL-1959-75-/200655158555?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb7fabd1b&vxp=mtr

But I have some questions .....

Do you know if you can just install those protronix III igniter directly into the Mopar 3690428 Distributor Electronic distributer?

If you can...then I take it you then just disconnect the orange box and remove it and then tuck the orange box connector away somewhere or cut it out of the engine wite harness completely???

Has anyone here ever attempted this conversion to a Mopar 3690428 electronic distributer system ? If so, do you happen to have a step by step on what needs to be done to the distributer and the engine wire harness to make it look correct?

My goal here is to keep my current mopar electronic distributer and just get rid of everything else to make the ignition system seem completely stock (no box on the firewall)

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

70charginglizard

billssuperbird

i was told protronix was for points distributar.i put it in my car and it works great. :2thumbs:

TUFCAT

Quote from: billssuperbird on March 10, 2012, 02:15:00 PM
i was told protronix was for points distributar.i put it in my car and it works great. :2thumbs:

If you want to remove the box on the firewall, the Pertronix will do it. I'm not sure if you can still use the 4-prong ballast resistor. You may have to use the pre-electronic 2 prong ballast resister.

I'm going to look into the new Firecore "ready to run" distributor with vacuum advance.  Its a plug and play replacement for points, has a stock looking size, and even uses a Mopar tan cap

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5859423&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

68coronetGLwannabe

Same here.   :yesnod:
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

70charginglizard

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 10, 2012, 04:13:07 PM

If you want to remove the box on the firewall, the Pertronix will do it. I'm not sure if you can still use the 4-prong ballast resistor. You may have to use the pre-electronic 2 prong ballast resister.

I'm going to look into the new Firecore "ready to run" distributor with vacuum advance.  Its a plug and play replacement for points, has a stock looking size, and even uses a Mopar tan cap

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5859423&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

Yeah....I was looking at those but there too polished and shinny for what Im looking for.

I want my distributer to look totally stock with that cast look yet have the protronix contained within it.

That mopar electronic ignition distributer I put in years ago to convert to a no points system came with the Two pronged ballast resister.  So its already set with that.  :2thumbs:

Im more curious to know (for those who have done what Im considering) what you did with that big connection at the orange box when the orange box was removed? Did you cut that out of your engine wire harness? or just tuck it away behind the motor someplace???
70charginglizard

Topher

Best thing to do is call Pertronix and speak to their tech department. I put a set in my points dizzy 7 or 8 years ago and absolutely love it.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

mhinders

I have the Ignitor III billet distributor and it has never missed a beat. Don't know if the Ignitor III unit will fit your distributor, but if it does, the installation is extremely simple, and it looks stock. You have all info on the Pertronixs web-site.

http://www.pertronix.com/support/manuals/default.aspx

You are not using any external boxes, and you are not using any ballast resistor (but you can leave it on the firewall with the wire out hidden somewhere).
If you add the FlameThrower III coil you have a very good system, according to my experience.
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

TUFCAT

Quote from: 70charginglizard on March 11, 2012, 09:27:02 AM

Yeah....I was looking at those but there too polished and shinny for what Im looking for. I want my distributer to look totally stock with that cast look yet have the protronix contained within it.

I would scuff and paint the Firecore distributor cast gray.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

firefighter3931

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 10, 2012, 04:13:07 PM

The Firecore ready to run distributor has a lot of nice features ; eliminates the ballist resistor, no external ECU and most importantly, the ability to dial in mechanical advance for custom ignition tuning. I've sold several of these and everybody luvs them !

Add a set of Firecore wires and good coil and you're ready to roll !   :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bsakal

I had the Pertronix setup in my '66 Chrysler. It died pulling into the gate at Carlisle last summer. The ignitor took a dump. I sent it back to pertronix (I kept the reciept, the warranty was a couple months away from expiring), and they sent me a new setup free. I haven't reinstalled it yet.
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

70charginglizard

Just wanted to personally thanks all of you who took the time to respond to my thread here. I very much so appreciate the input.

The thought of completely changing over my existing ditributer over to that firecore is actually growing on me more and more.

I may just end up going in this direction.

I really wish they offered a shot peen housing option ....but I may be able to duplicate this somehow. Well just have to see.

I guess their web site is being updated for the distributer section so when they get that back up and running I'll see what all is involved with those things.

If it allows me to remove the orange box and possibly not have to use my ballast resistor and still keep a very close to stock look then this may just be the ticket here.

I'll let you know what I decide to do a little later when they get that site section back up and running again ok.

70charginglizard

firefighter3931

Kelly, if you have any questions regarding the irecore distributor....just ask. I'm an authorized distributor for all Firecore products. The distributors are available if you decide you want one.  :wave:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs