News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

833 gear oil

Started by c00nhunterjoe, March 07, 2012, 07:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

I've read through the topics and I'm pretty close to being back on the road. I want to change the 4 speeds fluid out as I have gl5 fluid in it and it is hard to shift. I've read about royal purple and redline. I'm leaning towards redline but the topics on here say 75w90. The book says 140 and redlines site has a specific oil that they claim is perfect for the 833. Here is a link to the oil I am leaning towards using.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=39&pcid=4

Chryco Psycho

80-90 is my first choice GL4 , Redline seems to work well also

c00nhunterjoe

Why do you like the 75w90 over the 75w140?

A383Wing

its a bit lighter weight oil..it will be easier to shift..especially when cold....I got 140w in my black Charger..it almost dies when I let clutch out in neutral in winter

Use the 75-90w....synthetic can be used without issues as well

Bryan

c00nhunterjoe

Hmmm, that's 2 votes for the 75w90..... there is no risks running the thinner oils in it? I'm a summertime only driver in hot weather so winter shifting is not as issue. I only want to do this once. At 60 bucks a gallon I don't want to experiment.

A383Wing

my 66 service manual says to run 140w in the trans..starting in 67, they say to use 90w...same trans, no changes to trans...in mid 70's...some said to use ATF..which is too thin in my opinion...

use the 75-90w...you will be fine...

Bryan

c00nhunterjoe

Alright, guess I will go with redline's mt-90. Its their gl4 75w90 manual trans specific fluid.

matrout76

Please post up your results after the fluid change.

thanks!

elacruze

I'm about to change mine too, I used Royal Purple GL5 after speaking with them about the yellow metal erosion issue. It's obvious even after 7000 miles that the stuff is just too slippery, the synchros are slow to work. I'm just going next door to NAPA and buying Pennzoil 75-90 GL4. It's $3.50 a quart and should do the job just fine.
I'm guilty of over-thinking everything-how many 833's has anyone ever seen that were worn out? How many miles did they have on them even if the synchros needed replacement? The quality of lubricant in these things is not an issue. WD40 would probably keep them together the way most of us use them.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Chryco Psycho

sorry i changed my post 80-90 is non syn , I doubt you will find any GL4 gear oil in synthetic except Redline

Cooter

Do NOT RUN ATF in an A833....Unless you want bearings all insode that is. NOT enough shock load protection....These trans weren't set up for it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Chryco Psycho

I agree unless you are running in -35* there is no way I would use ATF

A383Wing

Quote from: Cooter on March 08, 2012, 11:51:25 AM
Do NOT RUN ATF in an A833....Unless you want bearings all insode that is. NOT enough shock load protection....These trans weren't set up for it.

I agree...but my brother's 'Cuda he had was running ATF in 833 trans....some service manuals call for it

I would not run it...way too thin

Bryan

c00nhunterjoe

Im going to pick up redline mt90 today

c00nhunterjoe

Just picked up the mt-90 and a can of por 15. Swapping to tubular upper control arms and disc brakes this weekend. Hopefully the car will go back together soon and I can see if this stuff makes a difference.

71bee

I run 80-90 in mine with no issues in over 10 years. the owners manual calls for ATF which I find laughable.