News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69' Charger Transmission:

Started by Captain D, March 05, 2012, 11:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi,

I'm searching through the threads and I've been reading postings on the 69' Dodge Charger tranny n' thought that I would ask something if I could please. On my 69' Charger automatic transmission, the shop noted that my 727 isn't shifting well and wanted me to check some info on the vacuum lines. Is there any key info in particular that you could lend this newbie so that I can then pass onto my body guy to help him out? I wrote down to check the kick-down w/ some details, which may help. Some additional info that I found thus far was: check the timing/idle, vacuum advance on the distributor, idle at 12-18 and 36 in all.

Also, just out of curiosity, he took the car for a quick test up the hill w/ the tranny being what it is - do you feel that something that short could have possibly damaged the transmission in any form? I have a 383 4 brrl, 750 Holly d-pump carb,

Thank you for any and all info,
Aaron  

John_Kunkel

Stay away from that shop, they're used to working on GM and Fords that shift by a vacuum modulator.

There is no vacuum involved in the Mopar shifting, it's all linkage and the linkage won't work right with an aftermarket Holley unless it's got the Holley #20-7 Mopar Throttle Lever Extension. With the correct parts installed the linkage can be properly adjusted to make it shift right (assuming the trans is in good order).
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RECHRGD

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 06, 2012, 03:42:08 PM

Stay away from that shop, they're used to working on GM and Fords that shift by a vacuum modulator.

There is no vacuum involved in the Mopar shifting, it's all linkage and the linkage won't work right with an aftermarket Holley unless it's got the Holley #20-7 Mopar Throttle Lever Extension. With the correct parts installed the linkage can be properly adjusted to make it shift right (assuming the trans is in good order).

X2
13.53 @ 105.32

Chargen69

not much of a shop if they didnt even look for themselves to see if there was a vacuum line, def GM guy

Captain D

Hi gents,

Thank you for the replies.Yeah, he is a GM guy, but we also had someone else to help look it over as well and they noted that the transmission went into first gear fine, but the upper gears of 2nd and 3rd simply stayed in a neutral-like gear pretty bad. I've been doing some searches on here and will be talking to someone else as well within the next day or two. They said that it could be something maybe fairly inexpensive, but then again - could be a total transmission rebuild. If that is the case, does anyone know where one can get a good refurbished 727 transmission just out of curiosity?  ;)
Thanks again,
Aaron

Captain D

I've been calling around various shops about possible transmission work for my 69' Dodge Charger and one shop in particular noted that they have a rebuilt 727 3 spd. automatic transmission out of a 89' Dodge heavy duty pick-up truck for $650 (not including installation labor). We just wanted to check w/ someone in know whether or not an 89' Dodge pick-up truck transmission will actually work with what we need...? In your opinion, would this work and if so, are there any other items that I may need to accommodate this fitting? My first impression is that it would not work, but we just thought that we would ask those who would know more about this topic.

Thank you for any info,
Aaron

RECHRGD

Google Cope Racing Transmissions.  He's got a real good reputation and all he does is mopar trannys.  His website shows a stock replacement 727 for $695.00.  As I recall he was very reasonable on the shipping.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Captain D on March 06, 2012, 11:51:12 PM
they noted that the transmission went into first gear fine, but the upper gears of 2nd and 3rd simply stayed in a neutral-like gear pretty bad.

Is the "neutral-like gear" while accelerating or when backing off? If it's when backing off, this is normal and goes back to the TP linkage....but if it tries to upshift while accelerating but just goes into what seems like neutral it could be fixed with a simple kickdown band adjustment.

Captain D

Thank you guys for the responses and guidance,

Yeah, it was while he was accelerating. Although he did adjust the kick-down settings and slew of other things but they determined that it may be in need of rebuild altogether. We actually found someone who specializes in Dodge just 20 minutes up the road and he said for a stock rebuild - $650. Since mine is a 383 BB, it appears that the 89' Dodge tranny wouldn't work/fit. So, thank you guys for the guidance and I'm sure we'll be good to go from here on out. But, I've got the info saved from Cope Transmission saved as a back-up if need be,  ;). At my local shop, they asked what color I wanted mine repainted in. Not that something like that matters to me necessarily, but just out of curiosity, what was the original 69' Dodge Charger, 383, transmission color from the factory? 

Thanks again!
Aaron

John_Kunkel

All aluminum-case Torqueflites left the factory unpainted (bare cast aluminum).

Captain D

Excellent info - Thanks John! Dropped off the transmission today and he noted that it should be complete about this time next week so I'll post again in that time to let you know how it goes,  :cheers:.
Aaron