News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Number of 68 Chargers in Existance???

Started by Mopar Crazy, January 25, 2006, 09:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar Crazy

In 1968 Dodge put out 17,665 Charger R/T's.  Dose anyone have an estimate how many are still in existance????
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

Chad L. Magee

Don't have specifics, but usually there is around a 20-30% survival rate for cars of this era.  I would estimate 6-7,000 are left of the 68 RTs.  RTs might have survived a little better than that because they were notices as special cars since they were new.  That also worked against them as most were dragraced to death, leaving the remains to be picked over at the junkyards.  Of the ten 68-70 Chargers that I have, three are RTs (the ones in the worst conditions for the 69 and 70).......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Bandit72

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on January 25, 2006, 09:32:39 PM
I would estimate 6-7,000 are left of the 68s.

thats all, that seems like a really low number....
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: Bandit72 on January 25, 2006, 09:38:23 PM

I might be low in that number (for 68 RTs only), but I have seen quite a few RTs that did not survive.  I have a 4-speed out of a 70 RT six pack Charger that does not exist anymore (it was rolled and sold for scrap back in the 80s, but not by me).  Remember, owners of RTs were usually a lot wilder with them when they were younger.......

694spdRT

Quote from: Bandit72 on January 25, 2006, 09:38:23 PM

Any number is just a guess. Because the 6-7,000 he mentioned was for R/T's only I don't think it is low. If you apply that logic to all 1968 Charger's you would get a number in the 20-30,000 range. That seems a little high but, there is no way to truly know what is still left out there. One things is for sure.....there are not enough left judging by the supply vs demand out there now.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Bandit72

ok, i missed the part of it being for R/T's only :brickwall: ...that makes alittle more sense..
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Chad L. Magee

That was my fault.  I forgot to say "RTs" after 68 when I posted it orginally....

Mike DC

I think the numbers greatly depend on how you define "surviving." 

We all know of plenty of "totalled" cars that have been brought back by restorers.  And they are often brought back using framerails & floors sawed out of parts-cars that still wear legit street-going VINs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever the numbers, I think it's got to be way less than 25% of the cars originally produced.  1/4 of the 1969 Chargers produced would give us about 425 '69 Chargers still "surviving" in each state.  I can't imagine the true number being anywhere near that many.

bull

I think the term "surviving" means "restorable," ie., not scrapped, and the definition of "restorable" has changed over the years too to include a lot more cars than it used to.

dd44068

Mopar Crazy

Me Too  ;D ;D  Thats why I was woundering approx. how many were still out there.
Thanks for the input....

69_500

I don't think that the 425 69 Chargers per state would be too high. I would agree with Chad on this of R/T's i'm going to guess about 6-7,000 are left out there. Not all running, some just as parts cars, but are still around.

will

425 in Rhode Island?Delaware? I think northeast cars disolved too much for these rates.

694spdRT

Quote from: will on January 26, 2006, 10:49:10 AM
425 in Rhode Island?Delaware? I think northeast cars disolved too much for these rates.

Maybe not but, California probably has a couple thousand to make up for some of those states. Keep in mind there are a lot of guys that have cars around noone even knows about. They might be project cars that have not seen the light of day in 20 years but, they are still around. Just in our shop there are 5 2nd generations and I doubt many people know about them that are not from our area.  I know off hand of 4 others within 20 miles of me that are running and driving restored or original cars and 2 others were just sold out of state last year.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

69charger2002

yeah i think chad is right on with his guess. R/T's now are much more sought after, and somewhat more in 70's and 80's but not so much. R/T in the 70's just meant beat the hell out of it.. so i think more got destroyed/beat on to death.. there are more and more 318 cars popping up everyday, and there seems like an endless supply of 383 cars, of course they made many more.. i'd say 5000 or so 68 R/T's left junkyards or not, because if they are around, technically they still count. i have 35 chargers, and i know of at LEAST 20 within a 50 minute drive of me in any given direction. and this is just louisiana.. can you imagine texas?? and even oklahoma seems to have an endless supply of chargers
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

NorwayCharger

Hi.
These are the numbers for norway:
42 . 1968 Charger
16 . 1969 Charger
25 . 1970 Charger.
Don´t know how many RT´s

Thats what are registred in the Norwegian mopar club.
It´s not a big country( 4,5 mil people)

In sweden there are:
44 . 1968 Charger, includes 1 hemi and 15 RT´s
77 . 1969 Charger, includes 5 hemi, 1 daytona and 26 RT´s
60 . 1970 Charger, include  4 sixpack, 1 hemi and 29 RT´s

Numbers from swedish mopar club
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

hemihead

There are more R/T's left than what was produced lol.They are like Camaros anymore,everyone has one.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

41husk

I wonder how many 68 Chargers there are out of the U.S. I remember seeing a few nice chargers in Mexico.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Jon Smith

theres loads of chargers in england
not so many RTs though
I think there are more surviving cars left than there was 10 years ago as people change their views on whats restorable
a lot of cars that have been sat in junkyards for years are getting fixed now

chargervert

I parted out about 50 Chargers over the years,5 of them were R/Ts, 1)68 2)69s and 2)70s. About 30 of the 50 were 68s,about 13) 70s,and 7) 69s! Most were New England rust buckets. The 68 R/T is the one I regret the most! It was fixable,but I was new to the hobby,and didn't know enough to junk the 68 318 car,I was driving,and fix the R/T! The outcome would have been the same,though,because,the 318 car(that had a 70 383 magnum in it)was totaled,by being rear ended,by a Duster,I had just blown off!

Dave22443

I have two '68's.  One I drive, one wrecked one for parts (I didn't wreck it)  But the longer I look at the parts car, I think, you know... I could fix this.  Which I guess is why I've spent a fortune on parts for my driver and pulled almost nothing off the "parts car"  (wife wants to know WTF?)  I'm finally starting to convince her that the parts car would make a great father-son project in a few years.  (My son just turned 4)  Just think of the pride he would have of having his very own '68 Charger, just like his dads!

Neither of mine are R/T's

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Mopar Crazy

Thats what it all about.....  I have 3 boys. I have pic's of them literally taking my 68 Charger apart for restoration. After that was done, I went and bought 2 Challengers for 2 of them. The oldest will get the 68. All this did was bring us close together.... Father and sons...........

skip68

:coolgleamA: SKIP's GOT A SECRET !!!!!!!! There are more than you think out there. :icon_smile_big: I'm getting a few friends to go in with me to try and buy as many as we can. :icon_smile_cool: My father-in-law told me about the cars that are out here in the west...They are on private land and he can get me in. :icon_smile_big: Not sure what I can buy or not :shruggy: but there is lots of them along with other cars as well.  These same people have them in three western states.  I'm sure there must be at least one other member on this site that knows what I'm talking about and knows you can't just stumble on these cars.  IF YOU KNOW, PM me and lets talk. Most of them (if not all) don't run but are complete cars....I'm not greedy, I just want what I can get...I'm not going to lie and say I'm not doing it for profit cause it's 50/50. I'm planning my trip in March-April and see what happens :scratchchin: Wish I would have known about this years ago. :icon_smile_blackeye:...........................Chuck
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

BlueSS454

For what it's worth, I have a 68 non R/T car I was given as a parts car when I bought my 69.  The guy said it was not restorable, I think it is, but I'll never be able to get around to it since I still have to finish my 69, and the 70 Chevelle convertible I recently bought.
It's a 383 car that came with buckets/console, factory A/C, was originally white.
Tom Rightler

JimShine

I am as Northeast as the USA gets and there are lots of 2nd gen Chargers up here. In my storage building there are 5 including my two. I can go to 22 within an hours drive and I KNOW there are more I don't know how to get to or don't know about at all. There are plenty of them around all over this country, just in stashes and hidden from view.