News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Blower Info Needed

Started by Charger4404spd, February 27, 2012, 02:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger4404spd

I will ask him, I have to call him again Monday! Thanks!

terrible one

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 02, 2012, 04:59:28 PM

Here's my old street-driven '62 Dart circa 1976; 426 Wedge, 6-71 blower driven 15% over, two 780 Holleys, 7.8 compression, Crane R-280 cam and Mopar Electronic Ignition. Run on Chevron White Pump 104 octane gas. Very docile, very driveable.

Way cool!  :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Here's the cam i would run....off the shelf Crower 112 lsa flat tappet hydraulic : PN 32243 @  http://www.crower.com/searchresults/

*You can run this cam with stock valvetrain components allthough the Comp #911 valvesprings and Chrome moly retainers and machined locks should be added for reliability. A good chromemoly pushrod should also be added to the mix.  :yesnod:

When adding larger valves you need to open the bowl up underneath to maximize flow. A quick and easy method is to have the machinist do a 75* throat cut in the bowl when he's cutting the seats for the larger valves. Then you simply blend the bottom of the cut into the bowl and presto : bowl ported heads. Having the machinist do this operation will save you 30 hrs with a die grinder  ;)

Take the time to get it right and you'll be much happier with the end result  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger4404spd

Ron, its been a while since I have had any kind of machine work done. Whats the average costs for this? Your right on with what Engle said as far as cam specs. :2thumbs:

Budnicks

You might want to also look at The Blower Shop, Dyers Blowers or Mert Littlefield, the Hamptons are good, any roots type blower has a great visual effect, there is also Magnuson, Eaton, Whipple or Screw type positive displacement superchargers...last the B&M mini Blowers & the vast # of centrifugal blowers... I ran many different sizes GMC Roots style Superchargers most of Mert Littlefields Blowers for many years racing with no real issues in quality or performance 6-8-10-12:71 in Std. Rotors or Hi Helix Roots Superchargers, I tried the early Whipple Screw Supercharger with some success before they were outlawed for NHRA comp..... Get a high quality Dampner/ballancer blower hub & a spare belt & a couple of different drive pulleys to tune the boost, a quality free flowing properly regulated & adequate fuel system, a Chrome box hotter coil & low ohm resistance wires, for added spark at a minimum for the street... O-ring the block & good head gaskets, I used solid copper Hussie dead soft head gaskets, heat & detonation is a big issue with a superchargers, you really need to buy some books &  read up on the subject, educate yourself, before you spend any money... I forgot Weiand...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Charger4404spd

I have planned on the MSD 8.5 MM Super Conductor wires with a MSD 6AL, that should keep her lit huh? I have a new Carter fuel pump (if I remember right, it flows 120gph), this should be enough? I hope as I do not really want to go with an electric pump.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Charger4404spd on March 03, 2012, 12:32:51 PM
Ron, its been a while since I have had any kind of machine work done. Whats the average costs for this? Your right on with what Engle said as far as cam specs. :2thumbs:

Not sure on the head machining costs in your area but it will add up quickly....new valves, springs, retainers, locks + the machinework can exceed the cost of a brand new set of aluminum heads. That's why most guys go the new aluminum head route as opposed to rebuilding/porting 40 year old castings that have poor quench and are heavier.  :scratchchin:

Engle is right about the wide LSA but i'd like to see some additional exhaust duration....especially with a stock head that is known to be weaker on the exhaust side. You need to hang the exhaust valve open longer to compensate for the weak flowing port.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: Charger4404spd on March 03, 2012, 03:38:29 PM
I have planned on the MSD 8.5 MM Super Conductor wires with a MSD 6AL, that should keep her lit huh? I have a new Carter fuel pump (if I remember right, it flows 120gph), this should be enough? I hope as I do not really want to go with an electric pump.

The MSD wires are OK but there are better options that are more durable.  ;)

For a blower build i'd strongly consider an electric fuel pump to keep the supply steady and consistent. A Mallory 140 with a return style regulator would be sufficient. The last thing you need is a low fuel supply under boost. That will melt pistons real fast and ruin your day.  :P

Ron

Charger4404spd

What wires would you recommend? Did you mean the non-return regulator??

Charger4404spd

Hmm, Summit says non return but Mallory says return. :shruggy:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Charger4404spd on March 04, 2012, 06:09:52 PM
What wires would you recommend? Did you mean the non-return regulator??

For wires i Like the Firecore 50 8.5mm set which are a true 50 ohm per foot solid core lead. They come with nice silicone boots that won't crack under temp extremes like the cheezy MSD plastic boots. MSD used to have silicone boots but they cheaped out.  :P

Return regulator would be best for a street driven car.  :yesnod:

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: Charger4404spd on March 04, 2012, 06:19:38 PM
Hmm, Summit says non return but Mallory says return. :shruggy:

Go with Mallory's recommendation  :2thumbs:

Here's a mallory 140 packaged with a return style regulator : http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-4142/

Ron

kamkuda

Budnicks

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 04, 2012, 05:44:38 PM
Quote from: Charger4404spd on March 03, 2012, 03:38:29 PM

The MSD wires are OK but there are better options that are more durable.  ;)

For a blower build i'd strongly consider an electric fuel pump to keep the supply steady and consistent. A Mallory 140 with a return style regulator would be sufficient. The last thing you need is a low fuel supply under boost. That will melt pistons real fast and ruin your day.  :P

Ron
Amen to that brother, a good free flowing adequate pump 120gpm or more & a return/bypass style regulator or a muti-port fuel log with a bypass valve built in & #6 or 3/8" minimum fuel lines, #8 or 1/2" would be even better, either would be a great choice & would be my 1st choice... You don't want a blower engine to be lean from lack of fuel ever, can we say knock knock knock boom...LOL... If your using a stock type sending 5/16" fuel lines & sending unit, I would highly suggest going to a 3/8" or 1/2" fuel line compatible sending unit, Mancini Racing sells them, I don't remember how much they are, probably $100+..

Charger4404spd

Can I run a return line to the factory tank  :shruggy:

Budnicks

Aeromotive hose, fittings, pumps & regulators are also very good products & IMHO the most important thing in the plug wires, "other than the boot design, so they don't burn", is getting a low ohm resistance plug wire , there are a bunch of companies that make them, even as low as 40-ohm per/ft. of resistance, the lower the better, to get all the spark to the plugs, especially with a hot ignition, standard performance plug wires are like 1200-1500 or more ohm per/ft....  :Twocents:

Budnicks

Quote from: Charger4404spd on March 17, 2012, 05:57:51 PM
Can I run a return line to the factory tank  :shruggy:
Sometimes if you have enough room, remove the sending unit & drill the plate for a fitting, you can just add a bulkhead type "sealed" fitting to the sending unit plate, that the fuel line comes out of the stock tank that's held in buy a compressin type twist ring... this maybe even easier, I've also done a return line into the filler neck, pointing it downwards towards the tank, so it won't aerate or splash too much, you will need to remove it to do the alterations so you don't get shaving in the tank...

Charger4404spd

Thanks, I need to replace the sender anyway. :2thumbs:

kamkuda

[/quote] I've also done a return line into the filler neck, pointing it downwards towards the tank, so it won't aerate or splash too much, you will need to remove it to do the alterations so you don't get shaving in the tank...
[/quote]

That is a good idea.  It was the way I was going to do it before I decided to go to a fuel cell instead

firefighter3931

I've got the perfect setup for your blower project !  :icon_smile_big:

Factory tank with a sump welded in and a 8an fitting welded to to the tank for the return line.  :2thumbs:

I'm going to a fuel cell so i won't be using this factory gas tank anymore.  ;)

Ron

Budnicks

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 18, 2012, 12:43:51 PM

Factory tank with a sump welded in and a 8an fitting welded to to the tank for the return line.  :2thumbs:

Ron
Now that would be the best of both worlds there...

Charger4404spd

Ron

Ron shoot me a PM and lets discuss it  :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Quote from: Charger4404spd on March 18, 2012, 03:41:31 PM

Ron

Ron shoot me a PM and lets discuss it  :2thumbs:

Pm sent  :2thumbs:

Ron

Charger4404spd

metalstorm440

i have been using my 346 iron heads sense 1990 with the last 12yrs being w/blower.