News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

In what order should these be done?

Started by jdiesel33, February 26, 2012, 03:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdiesel33

This is my first restoration and am about 70% thru it....I think. Anyhow,was wondering in what order I should do the remaining items or if it even matters at all.
All that is left is:

1. Interior - Only things done so far on interior is paint, heater box, steering wheel, shifter, gas and brake pedals, and firewall insulation.
2. Rear bumper/tail area - nothing done there so far. Need the whole works - lights, bumper, emblems, etc.
3. Front grill/bumper area - nothing done so far. Not looking forward to this one. So many pieces, so much refurbishing/fixing to do, and have to figure out how it all goes back together. :brickwall:

Thanks for your opinions and guidance,
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

Ghoste

If the car is painted, I would complete them in the order you have them but I don't know that it matters.  :Twocents:

jdiesel33

Yes sir, everything else including paint is pretty much good to go. That order made sense to me, but I didnt know if there was something I wasnt thinking about or if there were advantages doing them in a different order. Feels like I am starting to be in the home stretch though. Can finally see light at the end of the tunnel. :2thumbs: :cheers:
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

resq302

Well, this the order I would have done it it should my car have needed body work or paint.

• body / undercarriage / paint
    driveline
    brake system
    interior
    bumpers / grille

but again, that is just my preference
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

Yeah, unless I am misunderstanding I was thinking that was the order he meant.  Paint and body are done so interior next and ends last??

resq302

he didnt mention anything about driveline or brakes, suspension. etc.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Darkman

Quote from: jdiesel33 on February 26, 2012, 03:34:52 PM
This is my first restoration and am about 70% thru it....I think. Anyhow,was wondering in what order I should do the remaining items or if it even matters at all.
All that is left is:

1. PHOTOS
2. Interior - Only things done so far on interior is paint, heater box, steering wheel, shifter, gas and brake pedals, and firewall insulation.
3. PHOTOS
4. Rear bumper/tail area - nothing done there so far. Need the whole works - lights, bumper, emblems, etc.
5. PHOTOS
6. Front grill/bumper area - nothing done so far. Not looking forward to this one. So many pieces, so much refurbishing/fixing to do, and have to figure out how it all goes back together. :brickwall:
7. PHOTOS

Thanks for your opinions and guidance,

I have taken the liberty of adding to the order. Hope you don't mind  ;)
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

jdiesel33

No prob there. Should get it back from the paint shop in the next couple of days. All of the other stuff everyone os mentioning is already done - brakes, suspension, driveline,etc..
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Finn

If you want more detail on anything let me know, Ive taken my grille in and out so many times now I can do the whole job in under hour. Also, order the grille emblems and put them in while the grille is out. The charger arrow emblem on the drivers side headlight door is a pain in the ass to install if the grille is in the car.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

jdiesel33

Thanks a lot Finn. i will check out those posts and will surely keep you in mind when i get stuck.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

madmike

I have heard, but don't know from personal experience, that's it's easier to install the interior headliner, before installing the glass.  I think I noticed that in other people's posts (the guys that have assembled cars).  Of course, I didn't notice that, until after I installed my glass!!!  I don't have the headliner yet for my car, but the glass is in!

resq302

Easier, absolutely, but it CAN be done with the front and back glass still in the car.
Brian

jdiesel33

That makes me think of another question. I also dont have the glass in ( i was lumping that in with the interior). What all needs to go in before the glass to everything as easy as possible? Sounds like headliner and I would assume the dash, right? Anything else? What about the back window and door windows? WHat should go in before those?
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

resq302

Yes, you wont be able to put the dash bolts in as the windshield sits on top of the front bolts that hold the dash down to the window frame.  Door windows your can always do before you put the door panels on.  If you have a chance to get the headliner done before you put in the rear window, do it!  It makes the C post area so much easier to do on the headliner.
Brian

v21hemicharger

Resto Rick has this page which gives his order.  Pretty much how I do it.  He has tips and other stuff on his website even for headliners.  Here's a link

http://www.restorick.com/tech/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58

bill440rt

Assembling from a bare shell & building from there is the best way. However, this is not always feasable in all cases depending on space, budget, or skill.

I like to install the plumbing first: brake/fuel lines, wiring harnesses, electrical, etc. Then move on to suspension, engine/trans, steering box, fuel tank, exhaust, etc.
Yes, the dash must be installed before the glass, and before the glass goes in you might as well install the headliner. But, before the headliner don't forget to put the Charger scripts on the C-pillars.
Then, glass. If your car is getting a vinyl top, you'll need to install that before the glass.

Then the exterior trim, bumpers, grille, tail lamps, etc. Finally, I like to install the interior last.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Anyone know what the way the factory assembled these cars?
Brian

jdiesel33

Quote from: bill440rt on February 28, 2012, 08:09:53 AM
Assembling from a bare shell & building from there is the best way. However, this is not always feasable in all cases depending on space, budget, or skill.

I like to install the plumbing first: brake/fuel lines, wiring harnesses, electrical, etc. Then move on to suspension, engine/trans, steering box, fuel tank, exhaust, etc.
Yes, the dash must be installed before the glass, and before the glass goes in you might as well install the headliner. But, before the headliner don't forget to put the Charger scripts on the C-pillars.
Then, glass. If your car is getting a vinyl top, you'll need to install that before the glass.

Then the exterior trim, bumpers, grille, tail lamps, etc. Finally, I like to install the interior last.

What are "Charger scripts"? Havent heard that term so far.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

jdiesel33

Gotcha. Never heard them referred to as scripts before. Good deal. Thanks for the assistance.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

resq302

Thats cause its in script!   :lol:   They are also known as C post emblems.
Brian