News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Powder Coating Chip Resistance

Started by Chatt69chgr, February 23, 2012, 01:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

Should it be easy to chip powder coating off.  A friend had some suspension parts powder coated and he showed me that you could just tap one piece against another and the powder coating chipped off.  Was kind of like a glass layer.  I believe that the parts were first sandblasted and then powder coated with a gloss black.  He is pretty upset.  Said that he could have coated the parts with POR-15 and they would have looked just as good and that it won't chip off.

Rolling_Thunder

powder coating usually doesnt just chip off....       at least the parts I have had powder coated have not chipped at all - that includes hammer strikes on accident.   :lol:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

elitecustombody

Your buddy got ripped off. Powdercoating is highly chip-resistant IF done right. I would prefer powdercating over paint any day,it's way more tougher  :Twocents:

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Indygenerallee

The first thing I ever powdercoated (alternator bracket) I purposely threw it out in the parking lot  to see if it would chip and to my amazement it never chipped, had a couple little scratches but no metal showing!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.