News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GL guys with their "tan" interiors that do not look tan at all

Started by bull, February 10, 2012, 05:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

When I see these GL clones a lot of them seem a little confused about the tone of the "tan" color they're supposed to be. Am I the only one getting a little grossed out by the way these interiors look? When I think of the word tan I think of the color of a grisled old indian, not the pasty peach basement nerd flesh tone that seems to appear in some of these cars.

kikgas01

That is the way W/B dyed it on the real General Lee`s. It is called W/B tan.

MoparManJim

Quote from: bull on February 10, 2012, 05:37:01 PM
When I see these GL clones a lot of them seem a little confused about the tone of the "tan" color they're supposed to be. Am I the only one getting a little grossed out by the way these interiors look? When I think of the word tan I think of the color of a grisled old indian, not the pasty peach basement nerd flesh tone that seems to appear in some of these cars.

I hate to say this, but for once I agree with you about the "tan color" and the "flesh color" tan. When I think of tan, I think of the color that you also. Not the pal tan. 

kikgas01

kikgas01

Waynes close up General....

My door panel from wgl63 that I had color matched..

My old General
Before I installed the correct seats.

bull

WB did that? But Mopar never did that color, correct? The only real GL I've ever seen had a Mopar tan interior.

jb666

Quote from: bull on February 10, 2012, 06:23:32 PM
WB did that? But Mopar never did that color, correct? The only real GL I've ever seen had a Mopar tan interior.

WB did what ever was cheapest...

I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying it "grosses me out", but I'm not a huge fan of the Tan they used.. I went darker , on mine, and had custom seat covers made up to match.. Just this winter I swapped out to a Black carpet for that contrast... I HATE a Tan(any light color) interior.. If it weren't The General, I'd have it Black...

bull

Was there more than one tan interior in 69? When I think of tan I think of tan, you know?

MoparManJim

Quote from: bull on February 10, 2012, 06:23:32 PM

That would have been "Lee3" then, his interior was all factory original. 

jb666

Quote from: bull on February 10, 2012, 06:30:24 PM
Was there more than one tan interior in 69? When I think of tan I think of tan, you know?

me too... I think a bit darker..  I went in between the "GL Tan" and that Dark Tan (saddle??)

MoparManJim

That is the same color I think of as well. Not the cream color tan. 

Gregory

That's the tan I think of (and my favorite, GL or not)

7chargers

I love the opionions on here, Since I served 3 tours for you to voice your opionion I guess I will constructivly disagree with the Gross comment. I do "like" the tan you mention but it seems as many that know more than me, come back to one conclusion on these vehicles. They were all done diffrently and with all diffrent combinations of interior colors. If there was one standard General Lee that was built by WB and the 3  hundred plus they used never deveated from that one then yes we could complain about all the poosers and diffrent way's people build there replica's. Myself who cares. Pic on here clearly shows an original GL with dyed interior with more white than tan. My good freind has the darker tan from legandary you speak of in his GL and it looks really nice, My GL has the lighter you call Gross and it also looks good since the whole interior maches.  I say to each is there own!

Mikesmoparperformance

Yes 2 infact a light ( SADDLE)  tan and a Dark (TAN) Tan LEE 3 had a Dark Tan original factory interior  WB used a light spray tan to match all the cars. This was cheaper then redo the interior.
Most people spray the interior Tan because, buying the parts new is much more expensive!
De Tan on the photo is a light original Tan.

On this website from legendaryautointeriors you can order 2 different interior colors: Tan Saddle Light color and Tan Dark Color

https://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/webmodules/catcatalog/dtl_allcatalog.aspx?id=0&make=C&year=69&desc=charger

This is the Darker Tan:

LEE3

MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

Mike DC

All the late-series GLs (wider pushbars, no signal lights on any model-year, etc) had the very light tan interior color.  Including the closeup cars.  

The reason they switched in mid-series was because they changed crews building the GLs.  The difference was not really intentional.  The lighter shade doesn't look as far apart from the earlier shade in the paint chip book as it does in daylight & on film.      

JT01

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 10, 2012, 08:28:40 PM

All the late-series GLs (wider pushbars, no signal lights on any model-year, etc) had the very light tan interior color.  Including the closeup cars.  

The reason they switched in mid-series was because they changed crews building the GLs.  The difference was not really intentional.  The lighter shade doesn't look as far apart from the earlier shade in the paint chip book as it does in daylight & on film.      

This is exactly right when WB took over they were all the real light tan like that. In the early episodes the interior was more like what was originaly used sometimes a little darker but pretty close. My General came from the factory with saddle interior and thats what I redid it in.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I saw this image of replacement "tan" covers however, they look much lighter than anything "tan" (saddle) in the original inside  :scratchchin:

kikgas01

That looks "General Lee tan." Light does funny things as well. But like posted before, they(Mopar) had 2 shades of "saddle" That is why some cars at shows and what have ya have 2 colors, because some have been replaced.

bad88t-top

Here's a picture from my '70.   The door panels, dash, door pads, wheel, and seat covers (except drivers) are all original.  Never been touched.

TX9 70 Charger RT: 6 pack, 4 speed, A33 Saddle interior, red stripe
EB7 70 Charger RT SE: PS, PB, PW, PSunroof, Defogger, Air, loaded
FC7 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, white longitudinal, black vinyl
EB5 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, B5 interior, white long stripe
EB5 70 Charger RT SE: V code 4speed A34, charcoal interior, loaded
F8 69 Charger: Power Sunroof Car
13 Duramax 2500HD: Tow Rig
17 Durango RT

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

What color is this one? Were there really two Charger tans for 1969?

This one is all original, as reported in the thread:

kikgas01

Dark saddle and light saddle. That looks like light to me.

JT01

My car has a little of both i guess from what I was told depending on when and where the car was built they would vary on the color saddle

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on February 11, 2012, 09:47:17 AM

"officially" no there was just Tan.....now the difference could be C6T tan VINYL or CRT tan LEATHER

Possibly the tan leather hides on the seats could appear darker but thats the seats ONLY....the rest of the tan items in the interior would be the same C6T or CRT

http://www.1969chargerregistry.com/gallery/interiorshots?page=1
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 11, 2012, 12:02:39 PM
Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on February 11, 2012, 09:47:17 AM

"officially" no there was just Tan.....now the difference could be C6T tan VINYL or CRT tan LEATHER

Possibly the tan leather hides on the seats could appear darker but thats the seats ONLY....the rest of the tan items in the interior would be the same C6T or CRT

http://www.1969chargerregistry.com/gallery/interiorshots?page=1

Thanks - the car in the pic I posted, had vinyl, not leather.  :coolgleamA:

bull

Quote from: bad88t-top on February 11, 2012, 08:05:42 AM
Here's a picture from my '70.   The door panels, dash, door pads, wheel, and seat covers (except drivers) are all original.  Never been touched.

Yea, that one looks very nice. :2thumbs: I guess someone at WB grabbed the wrong rattle can one day and after shooting too much interior footage they got stuck with it. :shruggy: