News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Automatic Transmission Problem

Started by ugly2u, January 22, 2012, 11:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly2u

The transmission stopped moving the car. Am I missing something obvious? 727 with street fighter converter.

When cold, it never did a good job engaging. I have always needed to warm it up for several minutes before it would pull the car out of the garage. Now it won't move it at all.

I noticed it was 1 pint low on fluid, so I added some fluid. I put in Valero multitrans dextron III mercon compatible fluid. Now it does not even move.

I need guidance so I can drive it again. It already sat for 4 moths last year fixing other sh!t, now this!
help please.
:icon_smile_dissapprove:

oldkimmer

..............pull off the pan, see if filter is plugged, if sa u need a trans rebuild.......kim....
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIDGERACER383

How many miles is on the trans?if it's old it sounds like it may need rebuilt..if it's making a wining sound it could be the front pump.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

Budnicks

Is it a manual valve body or an automatic valve body ?, If it's an automatic it need the throttle pressure valve/kick down linkage, hooked up, adjusted & working properly for the trans to survive...  Always check the fluid level in neutral, not in park...  Did you do any band adjustments ?,  There is 1) 1st & reverse band inside the pan & the second gear band on the outside... Does the trans fluid smell burnt ?.... JUST SPIT-BALLING HERE, good luck... There is a good book Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook by Carl H. Monroe published by HPBooks-1399, IMHO if your going to run a 727 Torqueflite, you should have a copy for reference, proper parts & tuning or building procedures, especially in performance/racing applications.... A year & car specific, Factory Service Manual is also a great idea...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

John_Kunkel

Does it refuse to move both forward and in reverse? If so, you've got a pressure problem....if it will move backward but not forward you've got a problem in the rear clutch.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ugly2u

Thanks for the feedback yall. Gonna pull the pan this weekend.

I checked fluid in park, not neutral. Probably check that first.

It is an automatic valve body, and the kick down is hooked up. May not be adjusted correctly, cause I don't know how.

And, it refuses to move forward or backward.

I think I gonna blow a fuse if I need to pull the engine again. Is it better to pull the trans by itself, or with the motor? Ahhh, the age old debate.

Thanks again.

y3chargerrt

Pull the trans by itself. No need to pull the engine.

FLG

Try doing a fluid and filter change first could be clogged.

Cooperman

Quote from: ugly2u on January 26, 2012, 01:47:42 AM
...I checked fluid in park, not neutral. Probably check that first.

Definately check the fluid in neutral. I had the exact same problem, checking in park doesn't allow the pump to work (if I remember correctly), and therefore shows a false level position. I found that answer on here, added a quart or two and now my trans is now working well again.

Thanks DC.com:cheers:
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

nvrbdn

Quote from: FLG on January 26, 2012, 10:23:24 AM
Try doing a fluid and filter change first could be clogged.

:iagree: first step.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

ugly2u

Fluid level was good, didn't look or smell burnt.

Will pull the pan tomorrow.

Thanks for the input. I have my fingers crossed.