News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Holley question

Started by Mr. Lee, January 21, 2012, 06:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Lee

In my 69 Charger I have a 440 engine. Stock engine, but has another "slightly more agressive" cam, an Edelbrock intake and Edelbrock 750 carb. Everything else is stock. Trans is a 727.

I was thinking to replace the carb for a Holley 750 double-pumper, 4150 4779-C series. What do you guys think? Will this work on my engine and how will my 727 react to it? At www.Holley.com I read not to use this carb in combination with a automatic overdrive transmission.

Anyone who can give me some advice? Thanks  :2thumbs:

Serge

Chryco Psycho

There is no reason why the 4779 carb would not work well but the new Holley 750 HP series carb is a better carb , far more advanced for tunability
then when you go to thatthe Proform 750 is another excellent option & generally will cost less than the Holley .
you may not be able to floor it from a standstill even with careful tuning of squirters etc but if you can adjust to a 1/2 step until maybe 1800 rpm & then roll in the secondaries you will find the response is far better than the vacuum secondary carbs

BSB67

It will be fine.  I've got an 800 DP that has been on a couple of stockish 440 with dual plane intake, street gear and converter.  Ran great on both

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Scaregrabber

It will work great. I've also run a 4779 on a mild 440 with 3.23 gears and stock convertor and it ran very well. I've never understood why people advise against a DP with an automatic. As long as the carb is sized right they work very well.

Sheldon

Cooter

DP carb's only tend to give problems in Automatic cars when people want their Stock Converter'd, Light cammed, 2.76 geared cars to perform light Don Gartlits Top Fuel car out of the hole. As long as you don't dump the carb WOT at idle and expect it NOT TO BOG, you'll be fine. Double Pumper Holley's can't make all those mismatched parts perform like a drag car no matter how well made it is.

If your looking to drive it, then you'll be fine.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mr. Lee

Thanks for the input guys  :2thumbs:

@ Cooter; but what do you mean with the "WOB" thing and "NOT TO BOG" thing? Don't understand what you mean with that.

@ Chryco Psycho; you mean this carb: http://www.holley.com/0-76750BK.asp Or this one: http://www.holley.com/0-82751.asp (has no choke-valve on top, do I need one?)

@ All; there is really no problem using it with my 727 TF?

Chryco Psycho

82751 is the one I have used most often , if you are driving in warmer weather normally it only take a minute or so of nursing the engine to keep it running with no choke
Why would there be an issue runnign it with a TF ??, as long as the kickdown is set upo , it is better to have the 20-7 throttle linkage adapter for the carb

68r/t

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 22, 2012, 11:06:50 PM
82751 is the one I have used most often , if you are driving in warmer weather normally it only take a minute or so of nursing the engine to keep it running with no choke
Why would there be an issue runnign it with a TF ??, as long as the kickdown is set upo , it is better to have the 20-7 throttle linkage adapter for the carb

I,m also looking at getting the 750 street hp to replace my 750 vac  but have read that the street hp has a very rich idle.
Have you found this with the hp carb?

Cooter

Quote from: Mr. Lee on January 22, 2012, 03:16:27 PM
Thanks for the input guys  :2thumbs:

@ Cooter; but what do you mean with the "WOB" thing and "NOT TO BOG" thing? Don't understand what you mean with that.

You need not try and make your car get off the line like a drag car, if it has higway gears, stock converter'd (NO stall), and a lopey cam, when running a DP carb.
Do you reallize a DP carb delivers around 80CC's of fuel upon every WOT (Wide Open Throttle) shot?...That's ALOT of fuel to deal with down low in the RPM band, therefore, the dreaded "Bog".
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mr. Lee

Alright, I know enough, thanks a lot  :2thumbs: