News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

74 Charger headlight switch intallation

Started by big john patton, January 20, 2012, 09:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big john patton

I've got a 74 Charger that has the headlights out.  Thought it was the beam switch, but got a new one and nothing.  So I got a new lightswitch, but not sure what I have to take off to get it in.  Can anybody help me out?  Thanks in advance.

greymag

PIA. Remove drivers seat for easier access. Easiest way I have done it. Then lower steering column-nor hard to do. remove the 5 0r 6 screws holding cluster to dash. There are 4 visible screws at top and two next to steering column. Remove radio knobs & installation nuts. Slide cluster assembly carefully forward around 4-6 inches. Disconnect harness. There is a small plunger on the bottom of switch. Depress it & wiggle the knob & shaft out. Unscrew bezel nut holding switch on beneath the knob after you remove knob & switch will come free. If harness won't let the dash come 6 inches forward, you will have to reach up from bottom. I have gotten mine to come forward enough in the past. You might also need to disconnect speedo cable.
Good luck.

big john patton

Hey, thanks a lot!  I'll give it a try and let you know how it turns out.  Thanks again for the help.  I tried it, but think I missed the two next to the steering column.

big john patton

Thanks for the help!  Got the new switch in today.  And yes, I definately had to take the front bench seat out to get under the dash enough.  Thanks again.