News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Speciality wheels

Started by 66FBCharger, January 19, 2012, 07:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

I read the specialty wheel group buy thread. In it it was stated that all their wheels are lug centric. What are the pro's and cons of lugcentric wheels versus hubcentric wheels?
I was consisdering getting some new wheels for my 69, but the whole lug centric thing scares me. Should it?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

b5blue

Call around your area and see if it's a problem for who you may get tires from.

oldcarnut

Quote from: b5blue on January 19, 2012, 07:38:44 PM
Call around your area and see if it's a problem for who you may get tires from.
Ask the tire sales place if they have the adapters for lug centric.  I often got a huh look when I asked about it and then they had to ask their most knowledgeable expert in the shop.  I would think a custom rim shop should know.  My new rims are lug centric but I haven't  had tires mounted on them yet. Do a google search on hub centric vertses lug centric and you'll get varied opinions but some good info. Seems like some of the shops with low trained people hired off the street to change tires use the one size fits all cone mount to balance both types because its faster than taking the time to change adapters or just don't know.  Needless to say that it's not balanced too good.  Years ago I couldn't get one of them to realize thats why everytime he loosened the cone and rotated the rim to a new location and retightened that it came up not balanced.  I think as long as I know what I have and mount/balance it accordingly, I should be ok Here's a little video
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocWAZqNGhM4

bull

It's more accurate to have these wheels balanced at the mounting surface/lug holes but most tire shops don't know how to do it that way. When places like Specialty and Wheel Vintiques build wheels they mount up the hub by the lug holes, square it to the barrel and then weld the two pieces together. The hub hole is not used when the wheels are built so that means there's no guarantee the hub holes are square to the lug holes. Therefore the wheels need to be balanced at the lugs.

Personally I think all wheels would be better off balanced at the lug holes, or at least with the mounting surface flat and square to the balancer instead of the hole in the hub.