News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

10 degree Valve Retainers/Locks for Stealth Heads

Started by bobs66440, January 19, 2012, 05:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobs66440

I want to upgrade to the Comp 10 degree locks & retainers for my new Stealths. Does anyone know the Comp part number off hand?? The springs are 1.05" i.d. and 1.55" o.d. and valves are single groove 11/32" dia. There's a few choices that seem similar and I want to get the right ones.

It's a Summit 6401 cam. I called Summit and they said the springs that come on the heads are ok for this cam (.465/.488 lift). 440 Source said that the retainers/locks that come with the heads would be fine for my cam, but I heard it's a good idea to upgrade anyway.

Here are the specs off their site:

Valve Spring Type:   Single with Damper. Recommended for maximum .600" lift.
Valve Spring Closed (seat) Pressure:   Approx. 130 pounds @ 1.875" installed height
Valve Spring Open Pressure   Approx. 330 pounds @ 1.275" (.600" lift.)
Valve Spring Inner Diameter:   1.050"
Valve Spring Maximum Lift:   .600"
Valve Spring Coil Bind Height:   1.130"
Valve Spring Outer Diameter:   1.550"
Valve Spring Free Height   2.400"
Valve Spring Installed Height:   1.875"
Valve Spring Wire Diameter:   .202"
Valve Spring Number of Coils:   5.5

Thanks!!   :2thumbs:

oldcarnut

FLG

The 440 source ones are trash, but a good set of 7s can be a better choice than a set of 10's due to lower spring pressure. With lower pressure springs the 10 degree locks dont seat as well as the 7 degree locks would.

I dont know enough to recommend either one, but id imagine a set of 7 degree locks and retainers would be just fine...but id wait till the senior guys come in.

Musicman

Bob

They sell the COMP locks & keepers right on the 440Source web site for anyone running greater than a .510 lift.

http://store.440source.com/Cylinder-Head-Components/departments/115/

The original 7's that got shipped with the 440Source heads were mostly junk, but they supposedly changed them out shortly after the complaints started rolling in. To date, I have heard nothing negitive concerning the newer 7 degree replacements.

bobs66440

Quote from: Musicman on January 20, 2012, 07:03:38 PM
Bob

They sell the COMP locks & keepers right on the 440Source web site for anyone running greater than a .510 lift.

http://store.440source.com/Cylinder-Head-Components/departments/115/

The original 7's that got shipped with the 440Source heads were mostly junk, but they supposedly changed them out shortly after the complaints started rolling in. To date, I have heard nothing negitive concerning the newer 7 degree replacements.
I saw them, but I get a discount at the local speed shop I used to work at. They have Comp stuff there. I spoke to the guys at 440 Source to get the part numbers, but they are repackaged for them with their own numbers and the guy said he didn't know what the Comp numbers were. I can save probably $25-$30 in discounts and shipping by getting them here.

Regarding the quality of the locks and retainers, I realize those threads and problems are a couple of years old. I spoke to the guy about them who sold me the heads and he said that I would be ok with what's on the heads for my application (they are supposedly Comp locks, 7 degree) but Comp recommends the 10 degree ones for anything above a .460 lift according to 440 Source. With these conflicting opinions, I am tempted to use them just to be safe.  :shruggy:

Musicman

Bob

I'm sure you'd be fine with the 7's, but if you want to use the 10's the Comp No. is 613-16 (Locks) and 741-16 (retainers)